Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Darryl Kenyon 12 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Sergeant Thick's Sketchy Connections? - by Batman 39 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - by Patrick S 2 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Darryl Kenyon 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Batman 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (23 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (12 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (10 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - (5 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)
General Discussion: The Weapon - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Stephenson, Robert Donston

Old 05-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Sergeant

Mike Covell: "Does Stephenson being an inpatient at the London Hospital not give him an alibi?"

Gordon: "It might do, but it depends what's wrong with him."

It actually depends less on how sick he was ( there is no reason to suppose he wasn't) and more on whether he was able to leave the Ward he was in at the LH during July to at least October 16th. If he was incapable of getting on the street at night, he's not a suspect. His suspect status, began with ironmonger/salesman George Marsh. Yet Marsh was not aware of when RDS was in the LH when he went to Scotland Yard in late December of 1888 to roll over on Sudden Death. The ward he was in during the time of the first 4 murders, The Currie Ward, had protocol preventing people from entering and leaving it after a certain time of night. Keeping homeless people and prosses out of that section of the Hospital was part of LH protocol. Despite him having no known history of violence to women, no known venereal disease as once promoted as if a fact, no known history of consorting with prostitutes as once promoted as if a fact, and dozens of other false or sourceless claims, the most important factor in his candidacy is his ability to be the Ripper . He didn't have it even if he wanted it,Gordon.

Hope this helps.

Thank Mike for the Currie Ward protocol because he was the first to take the proper steps in finding this information out 2 years ago.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Constable

As for motive, unless any here knows the mysteries of the Hermetic order to which he belonged and knows their spells we will never know the motive.

If we are just talking about a sick man then what was the ripper after? It wasn't murder really. He killed Stride but had to do another because he didn't get a chance to mutilate. It's the mutilation then. What did the ripper do? Opened them up, and took parts away. That sounds like giving birth to me.
It could be a mutated form of procreative desire. The parts he takes are the baby.

Sounds zany.

It could be the desire to shock. To leave a horror to be found. He is showing the people of Whitechapel how he feels about them. That he is worse than they, maybe. That he sees them as shocking as the bodies seem to them.

I like the idea that he was an abortionist gone mad. I wonder if Donston plied that trade too. conjecture.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by celee View Post
I believe the Ripper was scared of women. Because he was scared of women he became frustrated by them and then his frustration turned to anger... I think that the Ripper may have been gay....Motive is the key to solving the case.
I think one can move from motive to suspect. If you assume the motive is similar to the mysterious, fragrant-delicto motivation of the serial killer character in the movie Perfume, which is similar to the motive in the profile you ascribe to the Ripper, gay if you mean effeminate, then I think Roslyn Donston Stephenson is a good fit since he was involved in the cosmetics business.
Movies may exaggerate like in the Hannibal Lecter films but the mold for the prototype is set on celluloid. There's more than one reason women avoid nice guys.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by celee View Post
5. The Ripper's lebido became less of a force due to age or illness. If the murders were sex murders/lust crimes then it is possible his urges slowed down due to age or ilness.

I think that the Ripper may have been gay. I know that the Ripper being gay is in complete contrast of what profilers will claim. However I think profiling is crap.
Brad,
a few points on your comments here,
1- If the killings where motivated by sex and Jacks libedo where failing that may explain the brutality of the crimes and the escalation from just killing (I dont believe Nichols was his first) to mutilating and taking organs. He may have had to do more to get the gratification.

2- Gay killers kill other gays almost exclusivly and no other documented gay killer has focused on just women. thats not to say that Jack could not been the exception but it does make it unlikly that he was gay. I believe that is the contrast you elluded to in your post.

3-As far as profiling being crap, I can only find 1 modern day documented gay killer (Donald Garvey) that killed women too so it seems to work in the case of Gay killers to at least 99%

top 10 gay killers (actually 11 becouse 3 of them teamed up)

Donald Garvey: 37 Murders
John Wayne Gacy: 33 Murders
Patrick Wayne Kearney: 32 Murders
Corll, Henley and Brooks (Texas homosexual torture/murder ring) 32 Murders
Bruce Davis: 28 murders
Juan Corona: 25 Murders
Jeffrey Dahmer: 17 Murders
Stephen Kraft: 16 Murders
William Bonin: 14 Murders
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Last edited by smezenen : 06-22-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Cadet

I'd be interested in comparing the jobs or hobbies of the gay killers listed above to the heterosexual killers.
I only know that Dahmer was a factory worker and Gacy was a contractor.

Heterosexual killers Robert Hansen and Angelo Buono were in the bakery and upholstery business, respectively. I think you can see what I'm driving at.
The Yorkshire Ripper (from Hell, from close to Hull?) was a truck driver but he was involved in body building, which would attract esthetes.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Detective

My appologies to all,
I have to correct my above post in which I stated Gay killers kill other gays almost exclusivly that should read Gay killers kill other MEN almost exclusivly.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'
Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Pisces View Post
I'd be interested in comparing the jobs or hobbies of the gay killers listed above to the heterosexual killers.
I only know that Dahmer was a factory worker and Gacy was a contractor.

Heterosexual killers Robert Hansen and Angelo Buono were in the bakery and upholstery business, respectively. I think you can see what I'm driving at.
The Yorkshire Ripper (from Hell, from close to Hull?) was a truck driver but he was involved in body building, which would attract esthetes.
Jessica,
here are the occupations for the men that I listed.

Donald Garvey: certified Nurse Assistant
John Wayne Gacy: contractor
Patrick Wayne Kearney: electronics engineer
Bruce Davis: Highschool drop out/amature singer
Juan Corona: labor contractor in charge of hiring migrant workers
Jeffrey Dahmer: factory worker
Stephen Kraft: bartender
William Bonin: career criminal
Texas homosexual torture/murder ring:
Henley and Brooks where unemployeed teenagers
Dean Corll (ring leader) age 33 electrician

Another interesting connection for Bonin, kraft, and Kearney is that while they didnt even know each other they all operated in southern california around Los Angeles during the same time period using the same methods and together are suspected of killing 130 or more men. collectively they shared the Nickname "The Freeway Killer"
Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
I think Roslyn Donston Stephenson is a good fit since he was involved in the cosmetics business.
Stephenson was alleged to have been in the cosmetics business by Vittoria Cremers when she told O'Donnell for his never published book. Over the years a number of authors have jumped on this, but there is not a single shred of evidence to back up these assumptions.

The Official Papers, from the period, featuring Pompadour Cosmetiques do not name Stephenson or any of his aliases, strange considering he was supposed to be a joint partner, potion maker, and creator of the symbol.

Welcome to Casebook Jessica, nice username.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
The ward he was in during the time of the first 4 murders, The Currie Ward, had protocol preventing people from entering and leaving it after a certain time of night. Keeping homeless people and prosses out of that section of the Hospital was part of LH protocol.
The Elephant Man, John (Joseph) Merrick, was the only patient classified as an 'Inmate' in London Hospital where he stayed from 1886 until he died in 1890. He stayed in the Isolation Ward and then in Bedstead Square and yet he was allowed leaves for visits to the country and the theatre.
http://www.jsitton.pwp.blueyonder.co...tman/evans.htm
The scene in the David Lynch movie where a hospital porter sneeks in a crowd from the streets of Whitechapel to look at Merrick appears to be fictional. So you must be right about keeping out the homeless and prostitutes.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Cadet

Quote:
Heterosexual killers
Robert Hansen and Angelo Buono were in the bakery and upholstery business, respectively.
The Yorkshire Ripper was a truck driver but he was involved in body building.
Arthur Shawcross: salad maker for restaurant supplyer, handyman, odd jobs
Robert Pickton: farmer, dance hall owner
Gary Ridgeway: Truck painter
William Suff: county stock clerk, cooked prize-winning chile for office picnics

RDS may not have gone anywhere in the cosmetics business but he was a writer concerning himself with Goddess books written by Rider Haggard and Bulwer-Lytton.