Wrong Albert street.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Albert street.

Hi All, I've been viewing the site for quite a while now and this is the first attempt i've made at actually making a contribution so here goes.

I've always suspected that when people discuss the address of Thomas Cutbush they are looking at the wrong Albert st. It always seemed odd that Thomas' Doctor was located in Westminster bridge rd. while he supposedly lived a fair distance away in Kennington. Now, i grew up around the Elephant and castle area which is in the London borough of Southwark which borders the area known in Jacks day as Newington and i have discovered that there was an Albert St. (today called Gladstone st.) that ran off of London rd. a stones throw from Westminster Bridge rd. I'm not sure of the date of the name change but the street was still known as Albert st. in 1890 according to the 1890 bacon travellers pocket map of London.

If Thomas in fact lived here then his house is still standing.

If anyone has explored this possibility before i'd be interested to know what they found.

Cheers

Mike.

Hi Mike

All views welcome.

The censuses show that the Albert St in question was the Newington one. This later became Alberta St, though it was an interesting suggestion that it might have been Albert/Gladstone St.

Here is a link to where Stephen Thomas posted some photographs :

Comment

Hi Mike

As well as the census returns, the birth certificate of Thomas's brother confirms that the house was 14 Albert Street Newington.

Best wishes,

Paul

Comment

Robert,

Thanks for the reply but the point i was making is that Gladstone St. falls within the area once known as Newington wheres Alberta St is and was located in Kennington.

Mike.

Comment

Hi Mike

Do you have access to the online censuses? I ask because for some reason I am unable to post images on this site, so I'll just have to do a description.

If you go to the 1891 census and find Kate Cutbush at 14 Albert St, St Marys, Newington, and then click backwards through Albert St from page 19 to page 10, you will see Penton Place. This is the Penton Place mentioned by Stephen Thomas in the link I gave. Or go to 1881 and find the Cutbushes at 14 Albert St, then click back just two pages - you get Penton Place.

Comment

Hi Robert

Makes sense now, Alberta St. lies within the parish of St. Marys Newington. I never realised that Newington encroached so far into Kennington.

Thanks for helping to clear this up.

Regards

Mike.

Comment

Working...
            X