Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 8 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by PaulB 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by harry 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (42 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (25 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (12 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (6 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (2 posts)
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Stephenson, Robert Donston

Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Sergeant

Default Still a viable suspect?

I have never really studied Stephenson as a suspect. No, scratch that, I have never studied him at all so really do not know nothing. All I know is the basics and the rather confusing theory proposed by Ivor Edwards, which just confused me somewhat!! Anyway, I wanted to study Stephenson more as a suspect and was just wondering if what has been written about him is still worthy of looking into as I have heard that a lot of what has been said in the past has proven to be untrue. Is D'Onston as a suspect, and what is written about him being the Ripper, worth looking into or am I just wasting my time like I did with Sickert all those years ago?!

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Constable

UJ:

Based on the incredible research compiled by fellow Ripperologists Mike Covell, and Howard Brown, it's been pretty much suggested and followed up with evidence that Stephenson was not the Ripper. I have not followed their research closely to suggest the details (I'll allow Mike or How the pleasure of that) But mostly he's another suspect who can mostly be eliminated and doesn't "fit the bill".

Regards,
Justin
Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Detective

Default D'Onston Still a Viable Police Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jack View Post
I have never really studied Stephenson as a suspect. No, scratch that, I have never studied him at all so really do not know nothing. All I know is the basics and the rather confusing theory proposed by Ivor Edwards, which just confused me somewhat!! Anyway, I wanted to study Stephenson more as a suspect and was just wondering if what has been written about him is still worthy of looking into as I have heard that a lot of what has been said in the past has proven to be untrue. Is D'Onston as a suspect, and what is written about him being the Ripper, worth looking into or am I just wasting my time like I did with Sickert all those years ago?!
Hi Uncle Jack,

Yes, D'Onston is still a viable suspect simply because he is one of the best documented Scotland Yard suspects we have. That cannot be set aside with a wave of the hand and opinion. Unlike Walter Sickert, who has no police file, a study of D'Onston yields a great deal about the times and the police investigation on the Whitechapel murders and certainly is not wasted time as he has been researched since at least the late 1950's.

He may not have been Jack the Ripper but he had drawn enough attention when he injected himself into the case. It is really, I think up to the individual to form an independant view on D'Onston taking into consideration all the evidence.

I have prepared a summary of the police documentation on this suspect you may like to also consider:

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=162

http://ripperwriters.aforumfree.com

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...nd-black-magic

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 04-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Detective

Hi Uncle Jack,

If you have not done so already I suggest you read Melvyn Harris book "The True Face of Jack the Ripper", which is probably the best account of Robert Donston Stephenson we have. You will also find much information here at Casebook and also on Howard's site.

I have researched the man for the last five or six years, and in my opinion he is no more likely to have been JTR than the man in the moon. However I have enjoyed the chase and learnt a great deal. Give it a go, and if you have any questions we shall all be here to help.

Rgds
John
Old 02-23-2011, 01:41 AM
Detective

I liked Ivor Edwards book even though I thought ultimately it seems like fitting a round peg in a square hole. I mean one of the murders is off on his diagram by 63 yards I think but this is done by the killer for cover. Which I then thought 'Well why didn't the Ripper just move into another spot which does fit?' I mean the basis of him as a suspect is his plotting the murders with a map and compass but still doesn't get it right? Just doesn't seem to add up. But nonetheless I don't mean to sound to harsh. I appreciate Ivor Edwards book and his passion to the case regardless
Jordan
Old 01-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Chief Inspector

I seem to remember a poster on here who found that d'onston used the exact same phrase as one if the ripper letters in his own writing like the same day or close to it. This really intrigues me. Does anyone remember?