There must be a photo of Frederick Abberline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
    I`ve never noticed him before, Rob. Crikey.
    Neither had I. Blimus! I agree that he looks far more like the illustrations... well, most of the illustrations at least. The spitting image, if I'm honest. I think I'm about to revise my opinion, Rob - for which many thanks.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Cripes!! That's amazing!!..how has he slipped through the net...had never noticed him either!! We need a photoshop genius here.....Sam....
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

I always thought he looked more like Abberline as well,he has all the stereotypical features of the illustrations - i thought people had seen him before,as im sure Rob did LOL !!!

But yes,if we can get it cropped up and obtain a clear image then we might just hopefully learn more..

Fingers crossed,anyone prepared to try their hand at it ?

Comment

Just had a look at the Andy Aliffe article in Ripperologist No. 72, and they have missed him too.

That`s him alright

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
            Just had a look at the Andy Aliffe article in Ripperologist No. 72, and they have missed him too.

That`s him alright

Yep ...(almost) ..without a doubt!!!!!! Come on you P/Shoppers!! Am at work here at the mo so can't do anything...no matter how naff!

Comment

Not even your lines, Hanney?

HSQ, MA

Comment

Y-y-y-yes-s-s-sir r-r-r-ight a-a-away sir...

Comment

HI,

This is a bit like 'Where's Wally (Waldo)'.

If anyone can get a higher res photo to me, I could have a go at painting over the three likely suspects to see what turns up. I don't think that copy is good enough to get anything decent from.

I can see there is a lot of potential in the new candidate, so maybe worth a go.

If we look at the three of them. I would say the one on the right does look the closest to the sketch that I worked from for the portrait........although in the photo he does appear to have hair under his chin as well as the whiskers at the side......... that could just be a trick of the light, or shadows though.......or he could have had a bit more facial hair at that time - but it does tally quite well in other ways with the full face sketch we have. I could try superimposing the sketch over the three suspects faces and see what happens.

I think the one in the front row next to him, who is the other candidate has too wide and short a face for it to be Abberline, if the sketches are at all accurate, although they vary quite a bit! I personally don't think that he is likely to be Abberline though.

The new candidate at the back though, does have a lot of potential, and is possibly the closest the profile pic we have........he looks slimmer and has more sensitive features than the other two.

Oh well, if anyone can come up with a higher res copy of the photo, I'll have a bash at it.

Much love

Jane

xxxxx
                  I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

I dont think photoshop will improve the quality of that photo at all. The only thing (as Jane says) would be if someone could rescan the image at a higher resolution... Even that might not do much, since the image looks very grainy.

Rob H

Comment

Originally posted by robhouse View Post
                      I dont think photoshop will improve the quality of that photo at all.
                      Best I could manage was to remove the "eclipsing" officers and attempt to reconstruct the face, hat and right shoulder, based on an assumed symmetry:

Click image for larger version

Name:	abberline.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	657285

Touched up the shirt and tie area as well. It was a quick job, and it's still very grainy, but at least it gives us an idea of the "whole"!
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

That's a good effort Gareth,it still ties in with all we have been shown in the illustrations.

We just need to lift his hat up to check his hair and that could be it !!
                        It does seem typical Abberline and also the modest nature of him in the photo suggests typical Abberline.

Comment

Thanks, HMUK.

Here's the "restored" photo next to an illustration of the hat-wearing Abberline:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	657286
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Precisely..i truly think we have found the man himself,i am so annoyed at myself because i noticed this a long time ago and just kind of overlooked it in a stupid way,went along with the common consencus - something i never normally do !!!

But as with anything,it needs to be proved.
                            That really is Abberline,it has to be.

Comment

It is him, innit. Just goes to show that the evidence can be right in front of us, and we spend all our time looking in the wrong place.

Oh, and happy Canada Day.

Comment

And to you GM..not a bad pressie for you is it ?

Comment

Working...
                                X