No announcement yet.

Pawn tickets in Mitre Square

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I don't understand is why Pierre hasn't stated exactly how many characters form the name of his suspect. It's pretty crucial if one is trying to establish the mathematical probability involved.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Elamarna;390735]

Hi Steve,

Sorry, I was sloppy when I wrote "census". I have checked the entire digital archives. Same result.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• [QUOTE=David Orsam;390737]

Hi Caligo,

As Pierre has not deigned to answer your questions, I will attempt to do so.
        You can not answer for me.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Pierre;390760]
          Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

Hi Steve,

Sorry, I was sloppy when I wrote "census". I have checked the entire digital archives. Same result.

Regards, Pierre
          But all that demonstrates is that your suspect has an unusual name. Therefore, in order to find that name, all you have to do is subjectively select a piece of information-I won't say evidence-from the vast amount of information available during the Ripper enquiry, which contains letters that are also present in the name of your suspect.

Statistically, I would have thought it would be a virtual logical certainty that you would be eventually successful, regardless of who your suspect happens to be.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Pierre;390760]
            Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

Hi Steve,

Regards, Pierre
            Hi Pierre

While that is a better search, I have to ask if that is the case, why did you question my mention of birth and death records?
            Why did you ask why would I search them?

Sorry but it seems odd to say the least.

Steve

Comment

• [QUOTE=John G;390762][QUOTE=Pierre;390760]

But all that demonstrates is that your suspect has an unusual name.
              Yes, John. This is what I have been trying to point out to Steve. He started with an idea that a name could be used by a lot o people. Therefore, it would be impossible to know who was the person behind a name, if a name was in the pawn tickets.

That, however, is not a problem. And I had never been thinking about it. I was just used to the name being unusual. So when Steve wanted to use that argument against the hypothesis, it just struck me that there is just one person in the archives with that name.

Therefore, in order to find that name, all you have to do is subjectively select a piece of information-I won't say evidence-from the vast amount of information available during the Ripper enquiry, which contains letters that are also present in the name of your suspect.
              It doesn´t work that way. You have to have a reason to think that sources are important.

Statistically, I would have thought it would be a virtual logical certainty that you would be eventually successful, regardless of who your suspect happens to be.
              The reason why I am examining the mustard tin is not only the letters giving information about a specific name. The hypothesis for the mustard tin is connected to an hypothesis for the motive and other data sources.
              Last edited by Pierre; 08-21-2016, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Elamarna;390764]
                Originally posted by Pierre View Post

Hi Pierre

While that is a better search, I have to ask if that is the case, why did you question my mention of birth and death records?
                Why did you ask why would I search them?

Sorry but it seems odd to say the least.

Steve
                Because I have a lot of work to do right now and therefore I did not have the time to read your text properly. Sorry Steve!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                  You can not answer for me.
                  I most certainly can. And did. I have read all your posts in this thread and was thus able to summarize the position with full accuracy.

Had you not rudely ignored Caligo's post I wouldn't have had to answer on your behalf.

Comment

The reason why I am examining the mustard tin is not only the letters giving information about a specific name. The hypothesis for the mustard tin is connected to an hypothesis for the motive and other data sources.

So once again we have an hypothesis the reasoning for which is undisclosed and derived from the unknown sources.

If we do not know the reasoning behind an hypothesis how can we discuss if it is valid or not

If we do not have the sources how can one question anything.

Originally posted by Pierre View Post

Because I have a lot of work to do right now and therefore I did not have the time to read your text properly. Sorry Steve!

Sorry Pierre I am not convinced by the reply.

However best to let it rest I think before you dig the hole even deeper.

Take care

steve

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                      But all that demonstrates is that your suspect has an unusual name. Therefore, in order to find that name, all you have to do is subjectively select a piece of information-I won't say evidence-from the vast amount of information available during the Ripper enquiry, which contains letters that are also present in the name of your suspect.

Using the same rules, the name of Pierre's suspect will also be found in the 'Dear Boss' letter (I know this because so are the 42 characters).

The whole thing is absurd.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                        Using the same rules, the name of Pierre's suspect will also be found in the 'Dear Boss' letter (I know this because so are the 42 characters).

The whole thing is absurd.
                        So are the names "Hatman" and Jarsdel, if you include the street names. And those English surnames are now extinct! See: http://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/2014/11...to-go-extinct/
                        Last edited by John G; 08-21-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

So once again we have an hypothesis the reasoning for which is undisclosed and derived from the unknown sources.

If we do not know the reasoning behind an hypothesis how can we discuss if it is valid or not

If we do not have the sources how can one question anything.

Sorry Pierre I am not convinced by the reply.

However best to let it rest I think before you dig the hole even deeper.

Take care

steve
                          Dear Steve,

I am always grateful for your comments, they are meaningful. However, there is no "digging a hole deeper", on the contrary. I am testing things, and there is no need for negative metaphors. They are not meaningful.

The sources from 1888-1889 are important and they deserve a realistic test. Of course, when sources are not discussed, that test is not visible.

But still, many of your comments are helpful and they are taking the case forward.

Also, the criticism of David is sometimes helpful, but not in the way he expects it to be.

Anyway, thanks Steve.

Best wishes, Pierre

Comment

Also, the criticism of David is sometimes helpful, but not in the way he expects it to be.
                            I'm wondering what you think you know about my expectations.

But if something is getting through then I'll take that.

Do you have anything else to add to this thread or should we conclude it now?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                              I'm wondering what you think you know about my expectations.

But if something is getting through then I'll take that.

Do you have anything else to add to this thread or should we conclude it now?
                              Does the High Priest want to close the church?

If you are finished with it, you do not have to participate in it.

Comment

Does the High Priest want to close the church?

If you are finished with it, you do not have to participate in it.
                                I have no idea if the High Priest, whoever that is, wants to close the church.

I was asking you if you have anything else to add to this thread.

If not, what else is there to say about the pawn tickets?

Comment

Working...
                                X