Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Aberconway Version

Hi All,

Trevor Marriott, who has been temporarily banned from Casebook amidst cries of conduct unbecoming, has asked me to post the following letter which he received today [24th November 2010] from Christopher McLaren, son of Lady Aberconway and grandson of Melville Macnaghten, regarding the Aberconway version of the Macnaghten Memorandum–

"Dear Mr Marriott,

"Thank you for your letter of October 14th addressed to my nephew Michael McLaren and forwarded to me. My mother's copy of my grandfathers notes is in my possession. I have heard that there have been rumours that it had been stolen from my family. This is untrue.

"I did in 1986 give a copy of it to Keith Skinner and Mr Martin Howells with my consent for them to use it as they wished. In view of the recent rumours I have asked Mr Skinner to publish it on the internet, where it would be available to all."

"Yours sincerely,

"Christopher McLaren."

LETTER ENDS.

"I now look forward to viewing the entire version as and when it is published.

"Trevor Marriott."

On a personal note I would like to thank Trevor for all his endeavours in getting this document–hitherto unseen in its entirety–into the light of day and wish him continued success in his efforts to secure access to the Special Branch ledgers.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

date

Hello Simon. Is there a proposed date for this?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Hello Lynn,

Although no date is given, I would presume that with any luck it will be sooner rather than later. I look forward to seeing this complete version, as do we all I would imagine.

Hello Simon,

This letter solves the issue of definitive copyright, whch I questioned for clarification purposes a short while ago, as we now know with certainty who owns the original and where it lies. Thank you for posting this important communication from Trevor.

best wishes

Phil
      Last edited by Phil Carter; 11-25-2010, 01:55 AM.
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

Thanks, Tervor

Thank you Trevor for your efforts in tracking down the present whereabouts of this elusive document. Looking forward to viewing it in its entirety.

John
        Last edited by Dr. John Watson; 11-25-2010, 02:16 AM. Reason: added name
        "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
        Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Very interesting. I wonder if there will be any material differences between this version and those we already have access to? At any rate, Mr. Marriott deserves our praise for uncovering this bit of information.

Comment

It's nice - but hardly surprising - to learn that the manuscript is not in fact missing, and that the quite disgraceful suggestion that it had been stolen by researchers is absolutely groundless. What a shame that Trevor Marriott couldn't muster the simple courtesy to ask them about it, rather than making public accusations. So much unpleasantness could have been avoided.

Comment

Hi Chris,

All's well that ends well.

Let's all just leave it like that and look forward to finally seeing this elusive document.

Regards,

Simon
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                All's well that ends well.
                Let's all just leave it like that and look forward to finally seeing this elusive document.
                That's all very well, but when it comes down to it there are more important things than seeing elusive documents.

Comment

Sorry, I've lost track of what we're waiting for exactly. Is Keith going to post the document here, or what?

Comment

True Situation

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                    Hi All,
                    Trevor Marriott, who has been temporarily banned from Casebook amidst cries of conduct unbecoming, has asked me to post the following letter which he received today [24th November 2010] from Christopher McLaren, son of Lady Aberconway and grandson of Melville Macnaghten, regarding the Aberconway version of the Macnaghten Memorandum–
                    "I now look forward to viewing the entire version as and when it is published.
                    "Trevor Marriott."

On a personal note I would like to thank Trevor for all his endeavours in getting this document–hitherto unseen in its entirety–into the light of day and wish him continued success in his efforts to secure access to the Special Branch ledgers.
                    Regards,
                    Simon
                    I simply cannot let this post go without comment.

The true situation is that Trevor Marriott's unfounded allegations and insinuations actually prevented this document from being posted on these boards some time ago. So far from 'getting this document-hitherto unsees in its entirety-into the light of day...' he actually achieved the opposite - which if you look back on the relevant thread you will see I told him.

The posting of this document, which I hope to do, is not in Trevor's hands at all, so gloating posts like this are not welcome.

I should also be interested to know if Christopher Mclaren gave his permission for his private letter to Trevor Marriott to be posted on public boards.
                    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Did Not

Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
                      Thank you Trevor for your efforts in tracking down the present whereabouts of this elusive document. Looking forward to viewing it in its entirety.
                      John
                      Trevor did not 'track down the present whereabouts of this elusive document' - we have known all along that Mr Mclaren still held the document - the totally unfounded insinuations that this document had been stolen were posted on these boards, and no apology has been made for these injurious statements.
                      SPE

Comment

No Point

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                        Hello Simon. Is there a proposed date for this?
                        Cheers.
                        LC
                        There is no point in asking Simon this question - he cannot answer it. The answer to that is in the hands of the person who is in personal contact with Mr Mclaren - I would suggest that everyone interested in seeing the document exercises restraint and refrains from making any abusive or unfounded statements.
                        SPE

Comment

Answer

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                          Although no date is given, I would presume that with any luck it will be sooner rather than later. I look forward to seeing this complete version, as do we all I would imagine.
                          Hello Simon,
                          This letter solves the issue of definitive copyright, whch I questioned for clarification purposes a short while ago, as we now know with certainty who owns the original and where it lies. Thank you for posting this important communication from Trevor.
                          best wishes
                          Phil
                          I provided the the answer as to copyright some time ago. It is obvious that it must lie with the Mclaren family as heirs to the estate of Lady Aberconway.
                          SPE

Comment

Please

Originally posted by Defective Detective View Post
                            At any rate, Mr. Marriott deserves our praise for uncovering this bit of information.
                            Please read my other posts.
                            SPE

Comment

Posting

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                              Sorry, I've lost track of what we're waiting for exactly. Is Keith going to post the document here, or what?
                              As and when any decision is made I shall be posting the copy of the document with the permission of the person who holds it.
                              SPE

Comment

Working...
                              X