Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To K and HP

Quick you too as fast as you can go cry to admin. go on now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      On Veterans day on behalf of the American people in general and all who served specifically I give you a hearty **** YOU.

and the edited out part starts with an F and ends in a K. Just so were clear
      Giving my opinion has nothing to do with your Vereran's day, but this comment of yours only shows how chaotic, to say the least, is your understanding who Trump really is.

As for your 'hearty **** YOU', everyone here will agree that you're really limited in terms of vocabulary and arguments, which is understandable coming from a naive Trump admirer.

Wishing you a better life,

Hercule Poirot

Comment

To K and HP

I won't contact the admin, not because you wouldn't deserve it. However, I consider it's
        preferable to let members discover what kind of person you are and learn to ignore you. Then again, trash sells well.

BTW, you wrote 'Quick you too' and obviously wanted to write 'you two'. I recommend you check your spelling, especially when you lose control of yourself. Your arguments will still remain tremendously weak, but at least well spelled.

Hercule Poirot

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          When Trump assumes office in January, it will be the first time that three Presidents, along with W. Clinton and Bush II, were born in the same year- 1946.
          I was thinking about the minor points like that one Stan. Here are a few

Hillary had been the first U.S. former Secretary of State to be nominated for the Presidency AFTER her time as Secretary of State since James G. Blaine was in 1884 (Blaine having been s Secretary of State for Garfield and Chester Arthur in 1881). She was the first female Secretary of State to be nominated. She was the eighth ex-Secretary of State to get nominated (Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Martin Van Buren, Henry Clay (in 1832 and 1844), Buchanan, James G. Blaine), and the third (after Henry Clay and James G. Blaine) to fail to achieve the Presidency. James Buchanan (Polk's Secretary of State in 1845 to 1849) was the last one who got elected (1856). Only six ex-Secretary of States became President (Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Quincy Adams, Van Buren, Buchanan). One Secretary of State was the winner of a posthumously given electoral vote: Daniel Webster had been re-appointed Secretary of State by Millard Fillmore in 1850, and had remained there until his death in 1852. He had (despite failing health) tried to get the 1852 nomination of the Whigs, but it went to General Winfield Scott (who would be defeated). In the election of 1852, Georgia Congressman Alexander Stephens was one of the state's Electoral College electors, and hated casting his vote for either Scott or Democrat Franklin Pierce. He decided to give it posthumously to Daniel Webster.]

[Interestingly, more men who were nominated for the Presidency but lost have (traditionally) ended up becoming Secretary of State as a type of door prize in recognition of their lost Presidential talents: Daniel Webster, John C. Calhoun (never nominated but sought the office), William Marcy (sought the nomination from the Democrats), Lewis Cass, William Seward, James G. Blaine (he was twice Secretary of State, once in 1881 and again from 1889 to 1892), Thomas Bayard (sought the nomination from the Democrats), John Sherman (a perennial candidate for the Republican nomination - who never achieved it), Charles Evans Hughes, Philander Knox (suggested by a few for the Presidency), William Jennings Bryan, Cordell Hull (another candidate for the Democratic nomination who never achieved it).]

As mentioned in a previous comment of mine here, Hillary was the first woman nominated by a major party for the Presidential slot on the national ticket. Previously the two people recalled who were women who got that nod were Victoria Woodhull in 1872 and Belva Lockwood, a very talented female lawyer (who ran in 1884 and 1888) who argued before the U.S. Supreme Court. Senator Margaret Chase Smith had been suggested in the 1950s and 1960s, but never got nominated, and Congresswoman Shirley Chisum of New York sought the nomination in 1972 but did not get it (Chisum also being the first African-American to seriously seek the Presidential nomination). Hillary was the third woman to achieve a place on a national ticket from a major party for the Executive Branch (but the other two, Geraldine Ferraro (1984) and Sarah Palin (2008) failed in their VICE PRESIDENTIAL bids (Democrat in the former case, Republican in the latter). Hillary was the second Democrat (after Ferraro) to get a nomination but fail to win.

It is rare for the two parties to nominate a candidate each that are from the same state or connected to the same state. Both Hillary and Trump are New Yorkers, although Hillary was not born in the state (though a current resident and our former Senator). Trump is the fifth New Yorker born here to achieve the White House (after Van Buren, Millard Fillmore, Theodore Roosevelt, and Franklin Roosevelt), as well as the sixth New York resident to achieve the office after becoming a resident by birth or moving here (the above four and Chester Alan Arthur and Stephen Grover Cleveland).

Trump did reverse a tendency - since F.D.R. we have had no New Yorker who either was nominated by a major party to run for the Presidency nor win it. Cleveland, by the way, is the only one whom after his second (and last) term moved out of the state, returning to spend his last eleven years in Princeton, in his native New Jersey. He became a trustee of the University there.

[Three ex-Presidents resided in New York City after their Presidencies, who were not born in the state: Ulysses S. Grant (whose tomb is in Manhattan), James Monroe, who for financial reasons moved to live with his daughter and son-in-law in 1825 and resided here until his death in 1831 (but his body is buried in Virginia), and Herbert Clark Hoover (who lived in an apartment at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel), but he is buried in California near Stamford University. At various times other men who were President lived briefly in New York, mostly in New York City but two at West Point: U.S. Grant and Dwight D. Eisenhower (at the Point); Hoover, Eisenhower (when President of Columbia University), John Fitzgerald Kennedy (as a young man), Richard Milhouse Nixon (as a practicing attorney at the New York bar, though he eventually moved to a home in New Jersey). Ex-two time Democratic nominee (and loser) Adlai Stevenson had to reside in New York City from 1961 to his death in 1965 because he was our Ambassador to the United Nations. Otherwise his residence was in Illinois.]

One President (who got married in New York City - the church he got married in is still standing in Manhattan on lower Fifth Avenue) was married to a wealthy New Yorker, whose family owned much real estate on Long Island, and whose family name is on the map there: John Tyler married (his second wife) Julia Gardiner, of Gardiner's Island fame, in 1844. But they resided in Virginia, on his family estate there. In fact, Tyler would be the only U.S. President to be elected after his Presidential term ended to an office in a non-U.S. government: he was a Confederate Congressman in 1862 when he died. Julia resided in Virginia until her death in the 1880s.

Trump is the first President to graduate from the Wharton Business School (as he loves to drop into conversations!). Ironically, it means he is the first President we will have with a background in economics.

Hillary (of course) was the first "First Lady" who ever achieved a Presidential nomination, or whoever was elected to public office (and re-elected to it) and whoever appointed to serve in the Presidential cabinet. However, Eleanor Roosevelt was the first "First Lady" to ever get a public position after leaving the White House, when appointed to be part of our United Nations delegation by Harry S. Truman.

Hillary seems to have been the victim of the curse of the Electoral College, in that she won more popular votes than Trump across the nation, but the falling of the votes in each state gave Trump an advantage (a big one) in the College. This is not the first time this has happened (nor the first time it happened to a New Yorker, or to a candidate associated with a Clinton Administration or two.

1876 - Samuel Tilden wins the majority of voters over Rutherford Birchard Hayes by 250,000 votes, but in a major dispute ("settled fairly" by Congress), Hayes gets the returns of three disputed Southern States, and their electoral votes, plus one elector in Oregon, and wins in the College. Tilden was the Governor of New York when he ran.

1888 - Incumbent President (and former New York Governor, and Mayor of Buffalo, New York) Grover Cleveland wins the majority of the voters over Senator Benjamin Harrison of Indiana, but the votes of several of the key electoral vote states (including New York) go for Harrison, so he wins the Electoral College and the election.

2000 - Incumbent Vice President Al Gore (in the two Bill Clinton Administrations) wins the majority of the popular vote across the country, but he is deprived of the Presidency by losing the electoral votes in Florida so that the Republican George W. Bush wins. This election result is determined by the U.S. Supreme Court under William Rehnquist.

To date no New York City Mayor has ever become President, unlike Buffalo's Mayor Grover Cleveland. One Mayor who did get nominated, did it early. DeWitt Clinton was Mayor in the early 1800s, but when his uncle George (who was Governor of New York) became Jefferson's second Vice President, DeWitt was made Governor (for the first time). DeWitt managed to get the 1812 Federalist nomination for the Presidency. Most people today forget the Democrat-Republican/Federalist National elections after the 1800 brouhaha between Jefferson - John Adams - Charles Pinkney - Aaron Burr - and Alexander Hamilton, basically because we are misinformed about the slow decline of the Federalists (twice under another Pinkney, Charles Coatsworth Pinkney, in 1804 and 1808, and then under Rufus King of New York in 1816*. But actually, DeWitt Clinton gave James Madison a tight race in 1812, due to Madison's inept handling of the Presidency (if Madison was not "Father of the U.S. Constitution" he'd be considered among our ten worst Presidents). Except for the votes of Pennsylvania, which went to Madison, Clinton could have won the election - most of the states were not enthralled by our unofficial alliance with Napoleon against Britain and our declaration of war. Also Madison had inherited a serious depression from his friend and predecessor Jefferson, due to that gentleman's idiotic "Embargo Act of 1807". Clinton would have ended the war and resumed a working relationship with Britain. Clinton, of course, went on to achieve the New York State governorship again, and to crown his career by getting the Erie Canal built in the 1820s.

One New York City Police Commissioner did become President: Theodore Roosevelt.

While many New York State Governors got serious, major party nominations for the Presidency (DeWitt Clinton, Martin Van Buren, Horatio Seymour, Samuel Tilden, Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt, Charles Evans Hughes, Al Smith, Franklin D. Roosevelt), only one Comptroller of the State of New York ever became President - though not elected to that post: Millard Fillmore had been the ranking Congressman on the House Ways and Means Committee, getting the funding for the final experiments of Samuel Morse's telegraph. In 1845 he was elected to the Comptroller's office. In 1848 he was nominated by the Whigs to be the Vice Presidential candidate, and he won with General Zachary Taylor as Presidential candidate. Fillmore succeeded to the Presidency after Taylor's death in July 1850 and served until March 4, 1853.

[*I mentioned earlier how Monroe moved with his wife to live in Manhattan with his daughter and son-in-law, for financial reasons, in 1825 until his death in 1831. Actually the house he lived in (in what is now Little Italy) was still in existence in the 1920s, when it was finally torn down for street repair reasons (regarding traffic problems). Ironically, his New York 1816 Federalist rival, former Senator and ambassador Rufus King, lived on a large estate in what is now the "Jamaica" area of Queens. King's home is still standing as a museum in it's own little park. This is doubly ironic, as it is treated with respect in the neighborhood by the large African-American community there. King, unlike the slave-owning Monroe, was a leader in the early fight for abolition like King's close political friend and ally Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton's home is also standing, near the Harlem area in Manhattan, as a museum. But Monroe's New York City house got torn down, and nobody seems to give it a thought.]

Enough of this trivia. Have a good day all!

Jeff
          Last edited by Mayerling; 11-11-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

WAAAAAAA!!!! cry baby. heres your participation trophy and pink balloon.
            now run along.
            Read your own post two posts before the one I have quoted above. Now go scrape off that black patina, Mrs. Pot.

That doesn't even make grammatical sense.

Comment

• An article from CNN speculating on who Trump will surround himself with as aides and advisors. Several seem to have experience as lobbyists.

To shape his administration, President-elect Donald Trump is drawing squarely from the “swamp” he has pledged to drain.
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                What did Hilary Clinton do wrong in her campaign? She called Trump supporters "a basket of deplorables"-- that's it, pure and simple. A savvy politician may insult her opponent and his ideas as much as she wants-- but she should never insult the voters, even if they belong to a different party!

Trump's supporters accepted the moniker as a badge of pride-- "Proud to be a Deplorable" buttons and tees were worn afterwards-- and if anything it united them more.
                I would have thought she is the personification of the system. That's where she went wrong.

No one is saying that Donald Trump is some sort of free spirit standing alone against the status quo, but surely anyone who has had enough of modern day politics would vote for anyone but Hillary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hercule Poirot View Post
                  What's the point in being reasonnable and intelligent when I could be dumb as a rock like all those around me?
                  As much as I'm a liberal by most people's measure, Liberalism is an absolute scam as it stands.

And, just maybe there are many people like me, who are not natural conservatives, but are sick and tired of the hijacking of Liberalism by people who are no more than clones repeating the party line verbatim, while advocating that anyone who dares to vote differently is stupid.

Many of these people who see themselves as liberals are anything but and they're certainly far from being reasonable.

Liberalism these days is in many instances either a fashion statement, following the status quo or a vehicle for snobbery. Anything but politics.

Comment

Giving my opinion has nothing to do with your Vereran's day, but this comment of yours only shows how chaotic, to say the least, is your understanding who Trump really is.

As for your 'hearty **** YOU', everyone here will agree that you're really limited in terms of vocabulary and arguments, which is understandable coming from a naive Trump admirer.

Wishing you a better life,

Hercule Poirot
                    Giving my opinion has nothing to do with your Vereran's day,
                    It sure does when you disparage the whole American people and on Veterans day no less. Veterans that have fought and died for this country and other people and their countries.

but this comment of yours only shows how chaotic, to say the least, is your understanding who Trump really is

LOL. if you even knew my opinions from my past posts you would know I'm no Trump fan.

everyone here will agree that you're really limited in terms of vocabulary and arguments, which is understandable
                    the only argument I'm making is your a dooshbag for your ignorant and over generalized comment about the American people.

everyone here will agree that you're really limited in terms of vocabulary and arguments,
                    "everyone here"?? LOL. whos that? everyone in your dooshbag club? or have you got a pocket full of mice?

you're really limited in terms of vocabulary and arguments,
                    well considering you responded counter-arguing against basically nothing I said, I think its obvious whos limited.

coming from a naive Trump admirer.
                    case in point. There you are blathering on about Trump again, when I never mentioned him.

Now go crawl back in your hole from whence you came.

Comment

• Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      Read your own post two posts before the one I have quoted above. Now go scrape off that black patina, Mrs. Pot.

That doesn't even make grammatical sense.
                      Ahh, the ole grammar straw man attack.

LOL. the last resort of a loser.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        And for the same reasons potentially makes him unspeakably dangerous to the nation too.
                        Oh, Good Lord yes!! I never meant to imply otherwise! The man's a two-edged sword*, but desperate times require desperate remedies. There's a better than even chance that he'll clean up a lot of the mess, I think, and if he destroys the Republic - well, we were heading there anyway, just more slowly.

* Possibly a loose cannon with multiple barrels pointing in every direction, each one stuffed to the brim with swords, grenades and creampies, if we want to stretch an analogy.
                        - Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                          (Robespierre) tries to impose a new religion based on "pure reason", which angers everyone.
                          That was Hebert, IIRC, who established the Cult of Reason, and tried to coerce the Assembly to worship at its festival (the anniversary of which was yesterday, BTW). Robespierre and Danton were (again, IIRC) stridently opposed to atheism and the fanaticism that they saw it as breeding*, and managed in fairly short order to arrest and execute most of the principals involved.

Robespierre founded the Cult of the Supreme Being in reaction to the Cult of Reason.

* A somewhat unexpected reservation from a man who coined the phrase "Reign of Terror" to describe his own policies.
                          - Ginger

Comment

With all due respect, I think you're quite naive saying "he'll listen to, and respect the views and needs of, the working class". He never did and only used the issues facing the middle class to stir them up and make them believe he was on their side. Trump is and has only been in favour of Trump and the hell with the others.
                            Were I in his position, yes, that's exactly how I'd be. I'd use my wealth and power to insulate my family and friends away from the world, and everyone else could shift for themselves.

I'm not seeing that in him. Did you watch him at his rallies? Onstage roaring and gesturing like Dale Carnegie overdosing on meth, wearing that goofy hat (I bought one, yeah), and generally just feeding off the energy of the crowd and broadcasting it back at them in a feedback loop. I don't think that was faked. I'm not sure it could be faked.

For whatever reason, the man craves to be worshipped, and he responds to it by showing enthusiasm and love for his worshippers, which gets him even more of what he wants. He's going to serve the working class (and anyone else he can get on his side), not because he cares about some principle in abstract, but because it gets him the attention and approval he needs.
                            - Ginger

Comment

Ahh, the ole grammar straw man attack.

LOL. the last resort of a loser.
                              WAAAAAAA!!!! cry baby. heres your participation trophy and pink balloon.
                              now run along.

Comment

• Hebert was not a mellow man.

Comment

Working...
                                X