Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
    You probably had a choice of three suppers.

Fish

Potatoes

Fish and Potatoes

Probably the staple diet of Dorset St and late night drinkers going home.
    Probably.

At what time did the pubs close?

Comment

Shiny looking material. I think it could.
      What else might purblind Hutch have got wrong, I wonder?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
        What else might purblind Hutch have got wrong, I wonder?
        I think it is quite easy to follow how Hutchinson would see with a respectably dressed man some wealthy cloth material in his grasp if it was a fish and potato oily paper package suspended by a strap. Plus back then food carried in cloth would not have been unheard of either. On a stick, it's called a 'Bindle'.

I expect some witness accounts to vary even with the same person and some even to be embellished once the witness figures out it could be the ripper.
        Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Probably.

At what time did the pubs close?
          I would like to know how we know the exact times.

I think that between 11 and 12 everything including Doss houses are shutting up and it's all done by 12:30. However, Lawende and company stayed in a club until 1:30 am. Chandlery shops stay open to serve suppers to people going home. Open late on holidays?

Comment

I think it is quite easy to follow how Hutchinson would see with a respectably dressed man some wealthy cloth material in his grasp if it was a fish and potato oily paper package suspended by a strap. Plus back then food carried in cloth would not have been unheard of either. On a stick, it's called a 'Bindle'.

I expect some witness accounts to vary even with the same person and some even to be embellished once the witness figures out it could be the ripper.
            Good for you.

Comment

I think that between 11 and 12 everything including Doss houses are shutting up and it's all done by 12:30. However, Lawende and company stayed in a club until 1:30 am. Chandlery shops stay open to serve suppers to people going home. Open late on holidays?
              Not UK-based, I’m guessing?

Comment

• I remember reading once that two women were said to have identified a suspect in an asylum. Does anyone have any ideas or have read this also?
                Pat...

Comment

Not UK-based, I’m guessing?
                  I really don't see how that being true or false can impact any fact on these matters.

So back to my reply.

Also, what's your point?

Comment

Shiny looking material. I think it could.
                    Have you ever bought or seen fish and chips wrapped in newspaper? I have, hundreds, if not thousands, of times as a kid.

Shiny it isn't. You're not going to mistake it for American cloth, and nobody puts a strap around it. Whatever was in Mr Astrakhan's parcel (if either he or the parcel existed) it was not fish and chips.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      Have you ever bought or seen fish and chips wrapped in newspaper? I have, hundreds, if not thousands, of times as a kid.

Shiny it isn't. You're not going to mistake it for American cloth, and nobody puts a strap around it. Whatever was in Mr Astrakhan's parcel (if either he or the parcel existed) it was not fish and chips.

Once a week (Friday, for obvious reasons) we scoffed fish and chips as a family.

Throughout the week, the chippy and the local pie and mash shop provided my school lunch.

Comment

• Kippers would have been a popular breakfast.

I think it's established that suppers could be got late.

It's a solid fact she ate fish and potatoes.

Also foreign ways of carrying food should be considered along with a cloth also being possible wrap.

I think some people might be doubting Hutchinson's account so much that the idea Hutchinson actually saw a guy with a hot meal packages to also be imagined.

Yet it's a fact she ate this before she was murdered.

Comment

I really don't see how that being true or false can impact any fact on these matters.

So back to my reply.

Also, what's your point?
                          It has no impact on the facts, but it does on your ability to interpret them.

You seem to rely almost entirely on Casebook for your sources. Even then, you often misread or misunderstand them.

The fact that you frequently put ‘The Bank Holiday Murders’ forward as a source speaks volumes.

Comment

Kippers would have been a popular breakfast.

I think it's established that suppers could be got late.

It's a solid fact she ate fish and potatoes.

Also foreign ways of carrying food should be considered along with a cloth also being possible wrap.

I think some people might be doubting Hutchinson's account so much that the idea Hutchinson actually saw a guy with a hot meal packages to also be imagined.

Yet it's a fact she ate this before she was murdered.
                            Why kippers in particular? Have you been reading Sherlock Holmes?

Why not kedgeree?

��
                            Last edited by MrBarnett; 12-02-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

It has no impact on the facts, but it does on your ability to interpret them.

You seem to rely almost entirely on Casebook for your sources. Even then, you often misread or misunderstand them.

The fact that you frequently put ‘The Bank Holiday Murders’ forward as a source speaks volumes.
                              You are not making any sense.

Here you seem to doubt you can get a fish and chip supper in the wee hours of the morning.

As I pointed out...

At 1:40a.m. on the morning of the murder, Joseph and Elizabeth Mahoney returned home to their rooms at 37 George Yard Building after having enjoyed the bank holiday out. After getting Joseph settled, Elizabeth left again to fetch some supper from a chandler’s shop on Thrawl Street, returning within five minutes. - Wescott, Tom. The Bank Holiday Murders.

We know you have a problem with Wescott's book but he is not the only source for this.

I quoted Sugden and Begg plenty of times, so that collapses your idea I just use Casebook, which you seem to loath.
                              Last edited by Batman; 12-02-2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Why kippers in particular? Have you been reading Sherlock Holmes?

Why not kedgeree?

��
                                It really does seem to me you want to play the game of "whose East End Dad is bigger, yours or mine".

Why not just come out and say 'Only people from the East End' can understand the matters of this case and see how that plays out on the board?

Comment

Working...
                                X