No announcement yet.

Lost London by Leeson Who did he mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost London by Leeson Who did he mean?

I have seen no dicussion of this quote "I am afraid I cannot throw any light on the problem of the " Ripper's " identity, but one thing I do know, and that is that amongst the police who were most concerned in the case there was a general feeling that a certain doctor, known to nee, could have thrown quite a lot of light on the subject. This particular doctor was never far away when the crimes were committed, and it is certain that the injuries inflicted on the victims could only have been done by one skilled in the use of the knife."
    Who is the dr???

Hello Krinoid

First of all, it looks as if there is a transcription error in the text. It probably should read, "a certain doctor, known to me," and not "known to nee". But the doctor might be anyone, a doctor involved in the case, for example either Dr. Phillips or Dr. Bond, but more likely, from the way this is worded, just a doctor who lived in the area. But I should say it's more a shot in the dark rather than the doctor knew who had done the murders.

It hinges for one thing on whether the murderer actually had any surgical skill. Although that is one of the things that was bandied about early on in the case, that the murderer had anatomical or surgical skill, as time went on it was denied that the killer had such expertise. It would seem that Leeson clung to the idea that the killer did have surgical expertise and could have have been a doctor, which is very problematical.

There is an old thread here in which R. J. Palmer cites that passage from Leeson, as quoted by Richard Whittington-Egan, and makes the point that the physician being referenced could have been L. Forbes Winslow.

Best regards

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 04-16-2012, 09:38 PM.
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Maybe it is the origin of the Dr in Whitechapel Legend.

Comment

Have just learned about Ben Leeson's book. Memoirs of an East End Detective. Would dearly like to read it, but my understanding is it's as rare as hens teeth. If I ever do manage to track down a copy, how much would I be looking at paying for it?

Comment

Hi,

I managed to find a copy on ebay for £14.99 a few weeks ago. It was the later edition lacking the photos and the cover was pretty faded, but it makes a good reading copy.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
            Hi,

I managed to find a copy on ebay for £14.99 a few weeks ago. It was the later edition lacking the photos and the cover was pretty faded, but it makes a good reading copy.

Gary
            There's a copy for sale here at £125.

Lost London : the memoirs of an East End detective [Hardcover] Ben Leeson and a great selection of related books, art and collectibles available now at AbeBooks.co.uk.

Comment

£14.99 is more my price range Will keep an eye on Ebay

Comment

Working...
              X