humyo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

step by step

when you click the icon for the kmz file it should automatically open google earth, and install the file. On the left hand side of your screen there should be a box with zone 1 (or whichever) kmz. That entry should have a small box to the left side of it. This box should contain a + sign. If you click the plus sign the heading will open up revealing the contents.
    You should see an entry 1888 ord survey. This is an overlay. Note the icon used by ge, whenever you see this icon ( like 2 sheets of paper) it is an overlay. Click the box next to that icon and the overlay will be turned on. You should now see aa 1894 ordnace survey map overlayed on the surface of London.

There are folder icons for east and west streets and north and south streets that can be similarly opened to reveal the contents. Click any box next to the revealed content, to turn that pin on and expose it on the overlay to the right side of the screen. This will be a pushpin icon.
    Let me know if this is clear enough. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

more help

Roy, if things are not as described please pm me and we can work this out. I promise it is worth the effort. Dave

Comment

Your instructions leap around. Not in order. When I access the link I am in humyo. Here is what I see. There is not box with a plus sign for zone 1 or whatever.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	dave2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	659613
        I choose Zone 1. I check the box. I download. I open.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	dave1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	659614
        It opens successuflly and I am just in google earth in the east end with all the zillions of little google earth symbols. No old map, overlays, pins, nothing. And from there I can't Snagit it to show you like I did the above images.

Hope this helps.

Roy
        Sink the Bismark

Comment

try this

You must first download one of those kmz files to your machine. Only then will it be able to interact with the ge program. My instructions start with the kmz being downloaded and on your machine as well as google earth being functional on your machine. These two elements must be met before you can click the kmz file open. Dave

Comment

learning/research aid

The file is a kmz that can be used as a street gazateer for the 1894 ord. survey seen below. It can also be used by more advanced researchers by virtue of the relevant page of the 1888 postal directory imbedded in the pin. Just click on the pin to expose it. Dave

Attached Files

Comment

1888 street scans in jpg

Here is a direct link to the folder, I am unsure if there is a method for taking the whole folder at once. Dave

Last edited by protohistorian; 06-18-2010, 07:54 AM. Reason: piss poor spelling

Comment

try two

Thanks to the feedback of Chris I know the first link to the scans was not successful. Here is try two. There is a folder marked 1888 street scans with all of them in jpg. Dave

Comment

it seemed to work for me

Also, I am not a stingy guy with information. If you see a icon resembling a manilla folder, it has stuff in it. In the case of these scans, they are all there in several folders if you click the folder ( or the box next to it, or right click and select open on humyo to reveal them). This is not unlike my kmz files.

In image one you will see the master folder being highlighted in the box at left (blue arrow) as well as the drop down menu for opening folders (red arrow
                  ).
                  In image two, the master folder has been replaced with "1888 streets by name" because that is the folder we are examining the contents of (red arrow), as well as the alphabetized content therein on the right.

I hope this helps. Dave
                  Attached Files

Comment

1888 postal directory map

Here it is in kmz form.
                    The size is very large for google earth. It was also rouhly 6ft square so scanning is not the best. There are also shiny spots on it, this is because we had to place it in a plastic sleeve to scan it. I have tried to clean it up with photoshop but was not successful. If someone more clever with photoshop ( almosy anyone) wanted to have a crack at it, pm me for the source files.

It is also in the kmz folder. Dave
                    Last edited by protohistorian; 06-20-2010, 05:32 AM. Reason: They did not teach spelling at college

Comment

In regards to the last item

I am sorry it took so long to occur to me that it would be needed to find streets listed in the directory. You will only be able to print this file out on a commercial printer, it is several feet square. If you have not started using ge, now would be a great time as it lets you zoom in and out as well as dispay the whole map. I realize however some will not do this so here is a humyo link to the folder with the raw map scans. TR is top right and TL is top left, the same formula for the bottoms. Dave

Last edited by protohistorian; 06-20-2010, 02:48 PM. Reason: poor punctuation

Comment

point of order

The kmz files are designed to use the overlays provided as sub strates for the plots. There is NO correlation between the map plottings and the modern landscape of London. The intent is to understand the Victorian landscape and to see the environment as the actors viewed it.Modern landscape correlation is far beyond what the overlays are capable of, and such matters are in the capable hands of several of our London peers. Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X