Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - by Joshua Rogan 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - by Batman 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wolf Vanderlinden 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wolf Vanderlinden 6 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - by DJA 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - (10 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (6 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 02-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_J View Post
Evening Chris, All,

Just passing this on from Keith :-

We refer to this incident on pp 226-227 in Inside Story which gives an insight into the relationship between Michael Barrett and Anne Graham in September 1998, eight years after, according to Mike’s sworn affidavit of January 1995, they decided to go ahead and write the Diary of Jack the Ripper.

Mike Barrett’s surname is spelt BarrAtt throughout.

Liverpool Daily Post, September 12,1998

‘This should prove the case about the Ripper Diary’

He’s a forger and an alcoholic... but Michael Barratt is not a man of violence

All I cared about was to protect my daughter’s name.

THE Jack the Ripper diaries have fascinated historians, criminologists and psychologists since they appeared on the scene in 1992. But yesterday the man who claims he forged those diaries found himself at the centre of a court case with Jack the Ripper playing a bizarre role in the proceedings.

A jury at Liverpool Crown Court yesterday took just over an hour to acquit Michael Barratt of threatening to kill his ex-wife. Mr Barratt, 46, claims he was behind the forging of the “diary” of Liverpool cotton merchant James Maybrick, supposedly exposing him as the Victorian serial killer and about which controversy still rages.

The court heard that the alleged death threat was sparked by a Sunday Express article last year about author Paul Feldman’s Ripper book, which claimed that Mr Barratt’s ex wife was directly descended from Maybrick’s wife, Florence. Afterwards, outside court, Mr Barratt, said: “I’m delighted. It proves I’m not a violent man and it proves my wife is a liar. “This should prove the case about the Diary of Jack the Ripper. I stopped the fraud but nobody believed me. I feel totally vindicated. I’ve gone through five years of hell. It proves I’m not illiterate and that I am a professional writer. I’ve cleared my name and it’s come out in court that my daughter is not related to Jack the Ripper.”

Mr Barratt, 46, of Hero Street, Bootle, formerly of Brooke-Road West, Waterloo, denied making a threat to kill Ann Graham. The court heard that on August 29 last year, he went round to his ex-wife’s home in Delamore Street, Walton, and pushed a note under the front door. He allegedly banged loudly on the door and shouted threats to Miss Graham. It was accepted that this was one of a number of similar visits to Miss Graham’s home by Mr Barratt since the couple divorced in 1994. The court heard that in the note Barratt said: “So help me God, push this one step further and I will kill you. I want you to know you can never walk the streets in safety. If you use Caroline and label her a Maybrick I’ll blow your head off and I mean it.”

Mr Barratt, an alcoholic, told the court he was horrified when he later saw the note. Asked if he intended to kill his ex-wife he replied: “No. Not in a million years.” He said he was “totally upset and angry” after seeing the Sunday Express article, and that he only wanted to see his daughter and thought that his ex-wife would take the note “with a pinch of salt.”

Florence Maybrick was jailed for the murder of her husband, and the claim in the book linked his daughter to two murderers he said. He described how he and Miss Graham concocted the diary by adapting an old photo album bought at auction, and that he composed the text while his ex-wife hand wrote it in a manuscript ink. He took the diary to a London publisher in 1991 and said he had been given the old black ledger by Liverpool print worker, Tony Devereux, who died in 1991.

The diary resulted in The Diary of Jack the Ripper, by Shirley Harrison, and last year Paul Feldman’s book, Jack the Ripper – The Final Chapter, appeared. Miss Graham told the court that her ex-husband began drinking heavily in 1988, claimed he was abusive and violent, and that he harassed her after she went to live elsewhere.

She described Barratt’s claims about forging the diary as “ridiculous.” She said her father claimed he was the son of an illegitimate child of Florence Maybrick, but it was Barratt who brought it to the public’s attention.

Best, KS

Ya know what? This is a bunch of huge stinking buffalo ****. Why do we bother?I feel sorry for him mike Barrett actually reading all this . Airing this poor sad sacks dirty laundry gets us where?

Sad.

I’m out.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Last edited by Abby Normal : 02-04-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Inspector

Yeah, well then go Mr. Normal. You don't have anything useful to add to the discussion. All you do is quote an entire post, then add a one or two sentence reply.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:21 PM
Detective

The Mike Barrett photo album was authored in the living room with the word processor.

The writing was probably done by a female, perhaps a family member.

Old bottle of ink...inks that age unusable? Like an old tin of paint remove the dried skin and there is still usable paint inside.

Barrett was a published writer, in days when becoming a writer took more than self publishing an e-book on Amazon.

Old photo album, cut out the front pages with a so nice and sharp craft knif and get to work right away.

Nothing complicated, it's a fake...humanity has a propensity for fake texts that purport to provide answers.

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:37 PM
Chief Inspector

To get back to the topic, particularly that it is a forgery of the 20th century: who wrote it, if handwriting analysis apparently does NOT match either Mr or Mrs Barrett, or their friend Tony D.?

Are we to assume they had a fourth, unknown accomplice who did the copying of the text into the photo album turned "diary"? If so, why did that person stay "mum" all these years?

How big a conspiracy of forgers was this supposed to be, anyway?

And why does the Diary begin in mid-sentence, with some pages removed?
---------------
Old 02-05-2018, 12:09 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
To get back to the topic, particularly that it is a forgery of the 20th century: who wrote it, if handwriting analysis apparently does NOT match either Mr or Mrs Barrett, or their friend Tony D.?

Are we to assume they had a fourth, unknown accomplice who did the copying of the text into the photo album turned "diary"? If so, why did that person stay "mum" all these years?

How big a conspiracy of forgers was this supposed to be, anyway?

But doesn’t match Maybrick writing either.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:28 AM
Detective

Quote:
Why do we need Tony Deveraux involved at all?

The daughter, the sister who burned the photographs? The writing looks female.

Quote:
We are still at 3 we don't need Tony, if it was a family member who done the writing it would explain their silence...it's a big deal Ripperology to them I'd imagine they just want to forget the whole thing.

Quote:
To hide the fact it was a photo album, they would have to be pretty daft to start the narrative at the point the pages are removed...of course you start writing mid-sentence.

Those are pretty straw man questions that have multiple, plausible explanations.

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:50 AM
Assistant Commissioner

I wonder just how close to the truth Melvin Harris actually was. We've certainly not moved on very much from the days when he spoke of the 'nest of forgers', have we?

Graham
Old 02-05-2018, 07:50 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
I'll opt for an old forgery. George Grossmith as penman with help from Harry Jackson Wells Dam.
... with a little help from Robert Lees, or some other clairvoyant who could foresee mid/later 20th century idiomatic usages of certain words and phrases.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Ya know what? This is a bunch of huge stinking buffalo ****. Why do we bother?I feel sorry for him mike Barrett actually reading all this . Airing this poor sad sacks dirty laundry gets us where?

Sad.

I’m out.
Why should anyone feel sad for someone who invented a hoax diary to make some cash? He' s essentially profiting of some horrible murders which makes him scum in my book.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:14 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
Yeah, well then go Mr. Normal. You don't have anything useful to add to the discussion. All you do is quote an entire post, then add a one or two sentence reply.
and all you do, other then when your posting erroneous arguments, when you try to make an argument at all, is respond with inane one or two sentence posts trying to be witty.

and I'm going all right. there are now three threads going on right now about the diary. yay! I'm starting to think this is really just all kind of wind up to keep this thing going, when it should have been put out of its misery a long time ago.

its actually quite sad really, but the diary defenders and all theyve written in support of it will be as Phillip Sugden so eloquently put it- stuck like flies in amber forever for all the world to see.

I'm getting off the diary merry go round-but do have fun.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline