Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My JTR book - a humble request for support :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My JTR book - a humble request for support :)

So I've gone and done it...I'm currently writing my own Jack book, which I will self-publish with Amazon upon completion. Trying to keep it as close to the evidence as possible, trying to bust myths, avoid "Hollywood" theories, trying to wade through the mess (the whole Kosminski business gave me a headache but I think I have it all figured out), and I'm trying most of all to humanise the victims.

But I have one pressing matter that I particularly would like some help with...

Pictures!

I'm obviously wishing to put in plenty of photos, diagrams, etc., but I'm a novice at this and I'm worried about copyright issues. Assuming most, or all, of the photos I wish to use are public domain by now, but I want to be sure, and with self-publishing I need to cross my t's and dot my i's.

Can anyone help please

Hello, Dark Passenger.

Your friendly librarian (me) reminds you that Copyright Law varies from country to country, so you may want to consider if you are publishing in the U.K. or in the U.S.A.

Next, there are no photos, I'm told, of the canonical victims when they were alive-- this includes the purported photo of Elizabeth Stride recently seen on a TV documentary, which is of another person with no relationship to the Ripper murders. Does anyone know if the photo of Annie Chapman and her husband is geninue?

There are some police mortuary photos of some victims, as well as the famous photo of Mary Kelly's body on her bed which we have all seen many times. I am not sure who has the right to these photographs, which were taken for police evidence.

Newspapers may be a good source for sketches of the witnesses, policemen, and the scenes of the crimes (but beware of artistic license!)

Finally, try searching the web for "public domain images free Great Britain" -- I found these links to help you out:

https:/www.flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary/albums

And check here on Wikipedia: "Public Domain image resources"

Hope this helps!
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Hi Dark Passenger,

Good luck with the book. I can't give you any useful advice but there are lots of people who post on here who have published books who could give you the advice that you need.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Good luck with the book. Particularly interested in the Kosminski mention as i have struggled myself with what happened when for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
          Good luck with the book. Particularly interested in the Kosminski mention as i have struggled myself with what happened when for a long time.
          It took a lot of long nights, mostly taken up by swearing at Swanson, but I think I've got it sussed, and I particularly look forward to seeing everyone's opinion on the solution I've gone with.

Comment

Looks like Wikimedia Commons has tons of public domain stuff ��

Comment

Originally posted by DarkPassenger View Post
              Looks like Wikimedia Commons has tons of public domain stuff ��
              Yep, they do. That's why we recommend it to our teachers and students looking for images for their presentations.
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

You have to be very careful about this stuff because, in theory, Amazon could take down anything you've published if they think just one of your publications infringes copyright. Wikimedia Commons also has some good advice about this: last time I looked at it, it was surprising how much more stringent the UK rules are than the US ones. You have to take care with Wikimedia because they sometimes claim that something is public domain because of its age, but it may not be in the UK (for some reason I'm assuming you're based in the UK).

Some time ago, I obtained permission from my local public library service to use images scanned from their books (as long as I acknowledge the source) but only if they're already in the public domain because of age. Nevertheless in a recent book about some local events around 1650 I used drawings & a painting produced by myself and my wife respectively, partly to avoid copyright infringement.

I have some reservations about using the post-mortem pictures of the victims,which of course everybody's seen, though I'm not sure exactly why. I suppose it's something to do with invading the privacy of the dead?

Is your book going to have a particular slant, or is it going to cover the whole subject? Also, do you feel you have new evidence, or have made new connections others haven't made?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Webb View Post
                  You have to be very careful about this stuff because, in theory, Amazon could take down anything you've published if they think just one of your publications infringes copyright. Wikimedia Commons also has some good advice about this: last time I looked at it, it was surprising how much more stringent the UK rules are than the US ones. You have to take care with Wikimedia because they sometimes claim that something is public domain because of its age, but it may not be in the UK (for some reason I'm assuming you're based in the UK).

Some time ago, I obtained permission from my local public library service to use images scanned from their books (as long as I acknowledge the source) but only if they're already in the public domain because of age. Nevertheless in a recent book about some local events around 1650 I used drawings & a painting produced by myself and my wife respectively, partly to avoid copyright infringement.

I have some reservations about using the post-mortem pictures of the victims,which of course everybody's seen, though I'm not sure exactly why. I suppose it's something to do with invading the privacy of the dead?

Is your book going to have a particular slant, or is it going to cover the whole subject? Also, do you feel you have new evidence, or have made new connections others haven't made?
                  Thanks for your advice regarding copyright, very useful!

Many of my conclusions are drawn from preexisting theories, but let me tell you this has lead me to some unexpected places...more than once have I sat open mouthed staring at my computer screen re-reading the evidence and trying to digest what's in front of me. I've also had to begrudgingly accept things I don't like. My Kosminski solution is, as far as I can tell, original (although to reach this I draw heavily upon, and critique, Fido). My suspect is not original but he is where the evidence has lead me, and my theory as to his motivation is seemingly original.
                  Originality is not the aim - following the evidence towards the truth is. And personally I'm happy that I've done just that.

Comment

I'm still fairly new to these message boards - is there a way I can send you a private message?

SW

Comment

Hello, Dark Passenger,
                      I fully support this post by Simon Webb. Be careful using other people's photos or reproductions of art, photographs, etc. I have heard (but don't know for a legal fact) that while the original art work or photograph might be old enough to be in public domain, the reproduction of it might still be copyrighted by the person who took the photograph.

Tricky and you are smart to be aware of the pitfalls and possibilities.

curious

Comment

Private messages

I'm still fairly new to these message boards - is there a way I can send you a private message?

SW
                        Hi, Simon.

Yes, just click on Dark Passenger's screen name at the top of their post, then choose "send a private message" in the Control Panel (CP) screen which appears. It should get there, unless Dark hasn't allowed private messages.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

Well done. With copyright you'll be all right with most countries, if not all, using contemporary engravings - it's over a century. If you find something you'd like to use, and it's not out of copyright, just ask the person ... most likely for a return link or reference they'll agree to you using the data. Good luck with your book.
                          David Wilson Professor of Criminology:
                          'Connection, connection, connection. There is no such thing as coincidence when you are dealing with serial killers.'

Comment

Thanks, PC Dunn.

Comment

Believe it or not, maps are a major issue I'm having. I'm committed to hand-drawing a Whitechapel map for use in all the contexts I require rather than even attempting to use any I find online! It appears that is the preferred method used by contemporary writers, too!

Thanks everyone for your support and advice! I'm going to piss quite a few of you off with the conclusions I've come to in this book but trust me, you're not nearly as pissed as I am at what I am now having to consider the facts of the case. The truth is far more amazing than any fiction. I really look forward to getting this project finished and in print!

I'm writing my final chapter, outlining the suspect the evidence has lead me to. Someone I'd long dismissed. Exciting!

Comment

Working...
                              X