Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per Dr. T himself: Six Feet Tall

Hi all,

How tall was Francis Tumblety? We have accounts of him being a "titan of a man" even up to six feet four inches tall. Interestingly, Tumblety actually posted his height in his 1866 autobiography:

But to return to my narrative. And here, I will, in the style of Hamlet, request the reader to “look upon that picture, and then on this,” and then ask himself how it was possible for Stanton’s myrmidons to mistake me for the notorious Dr. Blackburn, whose person is the antipodes of the following description, which was embodied in a military pass I obtained, during the memorable period of martial law, in 1865.

“Age, thirty-two; height, six feet; eyes, blue; complexion, fair; hair, dark; occupation, physician.”

I will venture to assert that the only point of resemblance between myself and the individual on whose account I was so fearfully victimized, is in the last item; otherwise, I am rejoiced to state, we have no nearer likeness than “I to Hercules.”

Tumblety being born around 1833; his stated age in 1865 is quite accurate. The New York World reporter who interviewed Tumblety stated he had blue eyes, and we know his hair was dark. Tumblety would not have had any reason to lie about his height; indeed, this man would likely have enjoyed claiming a greater height in order to make him for formidable and unique.

Sincerely,

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
    Hi all,

How tall was Francis Tumblety? We have accounts of him being a "titan of a man" even up to six feet four inches tall. Interestingly, Tumblety actually posted his height in his 1866 autobiography:

But to return to my narrative. And here, I will, in the style of Hamlet, request the reader to “look upon that picture, and then on this,” and then ask himself how it was possible for Stanton’s myrmidons to mistake me for the notorious Dr. Blackburn, whose person is the antipodes of the following description, which was embodied in a military pass I obtained, during the memorable period of martial law, in 1865.

“Age, thirty-two; height, six feet; eyes, blue; complexion, fair; hair, dark; occupation, physician”

I will venture to assert that the only point of resemblance between myself and the individual on whose account I was so fearfully victimized, is in the last item; otherwise, I am rejoiced to state, we have no nearer likeness than “I to Hercules.”

Tumblety being born around 1833; his stated age in 1865 is quite accurate. The New York World reporter who interviewed Tumblety stated he had blue eyes, and we know his hair was dark. Tumblety would not have had any reason to lie about his height; indeed, this man would likely have enjoyed claiming a greater height in order to make him for formidable and unique.

Sincerely,

Mike
    I read it differently, Mike. He states his only resemblance to the description was the last item, which would be occupation, physician.

Then he states "I am rejoiced to state, we have no nearer likeness than “I to Hercules.”

Am I reading it wrong?

Never mind, I see my mistake. Missed the word "antipodes". Sorry
    Last edited by jerryd; 06-10-2016, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Hi Jerry,

Yes: Dr. Blackburn, whose person is the antipodes of the following description

Interesting word, though.

Mike

Comment

Mike, if Tumblety was correct, and I believe he was, that would make the good doctor about 55 during the Ripper murders. At that age and at six foot in height, he's hardly a match for any of the witness descriptions of Jack, wouldn't you agree?

John the Doubter
        "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
        Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
          Mike, if Tumblety was correct, and I believe he was, that would make the good doctor about 55 during the Ripper murders. At that age and at six foot in height, he's hardly a match for any of the witness descriptions of Jack, wouldn't you agree?

John the Doubter
          Hi John,

I would agree. Are you saying someone witnessed the murders? That is a first. By the way, I present a 'witness' description of a tall person running away from the Kelly crime scene. Are you taking this one into account?

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

At six foot tall, flamboyantly dressed and with a handlebar moustache Tumblety would stick out like a sore thumb in 1888 London.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
              At six foot tall, flamboyantly dressed and with a handlebar moustache Tumblety would stick out like a sore thumb in 1888 London.
              Tumblety himself admitted he dressed to not bring attention to himself. Just as Paul Begg has stated in his review of my book, Tumblety was indeed a suspect Scotland Yard took seriously. He clearly did not stick out like a sour thumb. ...and are you so certain his mustache was like a handlebar? Hmmm.

Comment

Anyone at six feet tall in 1888 London would stick out like a sore thumb. All the evidence I have read suggests that Tumblety not only dressed flamboyantly but had a personality to go with it.

Comment

Anyone at six feet tall in 1888 London would stick out like a sore thumb. All the evidence I have read suggests that Tumblety not only dressed flamboyantly but had a personality to go with it.
                  Really? What evidence are you claiming is "all of the evidence"? In a world of hats and an average height of 5ft 8inches, a taller man would not stick out like a sore thumb. It's an average, as in not everyone was that height. There were multitudes of tall men and in the dark streets they did not stick out like a sore thumb. Sorry.

Honestly, John. your perception of Tumblety is dated. I suggest you update. My guess is you didn't read my addition to "all of the evidence".

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

We simply don't know if Scotland Yard took Tumblety seriously as a JtR suspect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Francis Tumblety Photo.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	666682

If you happened to be an insignificant little man of middle height and build, what better disguise with which to move around freely than to cast it abroad that you were “considerably over six feet in height, of graceful and powerful build, with strongly marked features, beautifully clear complexion, a sweeping mustache, and jet-black hair.”

I know certain people described him as such and also threw in a horse, an attendant and a pair of greyhounds to complete the picture.

So, given this description, it's a mystery why nobody [not even a doctor called to his stateroom where he allegedly spent the voyage] recognised passenger Frank Townsend aboard La Bretagne, and that the majority of newspaper reporters awaiting his arrival in New York at Pier 42 also failed to spot him disembarking.

Regards,

Simon
                    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

There are several things that make Tumblety a poor Ripper suspect including his height, his age and that he was in all likelihood gay.

Comment

There are several things that make Tumblety a poor Ripper suspect including his height, his age and that he was in all likelihood gay.
                        John,
                        You (and Simon) have clearly not listened to my Baltimore lecture. If you do, you'd probably realize him being gay is insignificant. Also, just as Paul Begg stated we now do know that Tumblety was quite a significant suspect, regardless if Simon is denial. Keep in mind, it's not my mere arguments that is convincing, it's evidence.

Mike
                        Last edited by mklhawley; 06-10-2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
                          John,
                          You (and Simon) have clearly not listened to my Baltimore lecture. If you do, you'd probably realize him being gay is insignificant. Also, just as Paul Begg stated we now do know that Tumblety was quite a significant suspect, regardless if Simon is denial. Keep in mind, it's not my mere arguments that is convincing, it's evidence.

Mike
                          What evidence would that be?

Comment

What evidence would that be?
                            Honestly, John. The lecture was two hours long. There are well over a dozen new finds.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Paul Begg stating something doesn't automatically make it a fact.

I have listened to your lecture.

Regards,

Simon
                              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
                              X