Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - by Boggles 5 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Kattrup 12 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by etenguy 36 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by Trevor Marriott 43 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by Trevor Marriott 46 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by Trevor Marriott 51 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (100 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (11 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - (6 posts)
General Police Discussion: City of London Precincts and Divisions involved in the Investigation - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Jack the Ripper learned don't eviscerate before you exsanguinate - (2 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Jane Kelly

View Poll Results: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim?
Yes 64 83.12%
No 9 11.69%
Undecided 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Commisioner

Are you flying in the face of Ripper lore and suggesting she was murdered by someone else?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Are you flying in the face of Ripper lore and suggesting she was murdered by someone else?
C'mon Simon, when have you known me to be controversial?

In this case, I don't remember if the question posed by the thread title was ever answered.
For me, I take the safe route and fall in line with all those less imaginative sorts who align themselves with the obvious.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:38 AM
Detective

I don't believe MJK was a Ripper victim. All the other victims were significantly older, and smaller. By all accounts, Jack was no taller than average himself, whereas MJK was taller than even the male average. She would not have looked like an easy target. And yes, it is fully possible that the killer was stronger than her still, but serial killers do not usually gamble. Especially when he's used to choking them from the front, which becomes a lot more difficult if the victim is taller - even if the victim is weaker. MJK would have been five or more inches taller than JtR, which should be enough to give any man pause, no matter how confident he is in his strength. Perpetrators of all sorts of crime where strangers are targeted never pick their victims at random - it's almost always someone they deem to be an easy target.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:07 AM
Constable

That's all quite sensible but, knowing she was, as you say, 5 or so inches taller, could that be why he killed her inside, her cloths were stacked neatly, suggesting they had calmly got ready for bed, as they lay down she wouldn't be expecting an attack, she would probably have expected and attack standing up in a dark place like the others. I'm suggesting she was totally off guard and therefore, an easy target.I'd imagine he'd picked his target and possibly for your reason and possibly because he knew she had her own quiet room, that MJK was targeted by the Ripper.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:18 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I don't believe MJK was a Ripper victim.
Then two different men came up with the idea of cutting the abdominal wall away in large flaps from both Chapman and Kelly. The chances of that happening are extremely slim.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:28 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
That's all quite sensible but, knowing she was, as you say, 5 or so inches taller, could that be why he killed her inside, her cloths were stacked neatly, suggesting they had calmly got ready for bed, as they lay down she wouldn't be expecting an attack, she would probably have expected and attack standing up in a dark place like the others. I'm suggesting she was totally off guard and therefore, an easy target.I'd imagine he'd picked his target and possibly for your reason and possibly because he knew she had her own quiet room, that MJK was targeted by the Ripper.
The reason she was killed inside is because she brought her tricks inside. Unless he knew her, however, he would probably not have known that she was an in-door prostitute when he approached her.

And the neatly folded clothes is another thing. The killer of the other victims does not seem to have been interested in watching them expose themselves before he struck. And MJK would have been at her most vulnerable while undressing (even if facing him) and not after.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:32 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Then two different men came up with the idea of cutting the abdominal wall away in large flaps from both Chapman and Kelly. The chances of that happening are extremely slim.
They didn't have to "come up" with the idea. I see MJK as a copy-cat murder: I believe she was murdered for a completely different reason, and the killer mutilated her as best he could in order to associate the murder with Jack the Ripper.

You draw the comparison of "cutting the abdominal wall away in large flaps" between Chapman and Kelly. But how well does that comparison fare with Nichols or Eddowes?
Old 09-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
They didn't have to "come up" with the idea. I see MJK as a copy-cat murder: I believe she was murdered for a completely different reason, and the killer mutilated her as best he could in order to associate the murder with Jack the Ripper.
With Kelly, mutilation and evisceration were taken much further than the Ripper had before. If Kelly died by another hand, it wasn't so much a case of the Ripper being copied, but surpassed.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Commisioner

Quote:

You draw the comparison of "cutting the abdominal wall away in large flaps" between Chapman and Kelly. But how well does that comparison fare with Nichols or Eddowes?
It does not. Then again, it was Kelly you wanted to rule out, and I pointed to how she is closely tied to Chapman, close enough, in fact, to be either the victim of the same killer or - as you suggest - the victim of a copycat killer.

A copycat killer who copied the flap thing and then went over the top totally.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Cadet

Given the fact that Ms. Kelly was in an enclosed environment I feel it is a safe assumption that due to the extensive mutilations she was, for all intents and purposes, murdered by the same hand as the previous women.

The escalation of violence is evident in each killing; the attacking of the face was present in the Eddowes murder.

I strongly doubt she was murdered by a "copy cat" killer and I do not believe he was intimidated by Ms. Kelly's stature.

I think one of the more stranger things is the fact that she was undressed. The killer seemed to have been (based off the eye witness testimony and the finding of the bodies) a blitz killer - acting fast and catching the victim off guard. He seemed to have killed his victims within 15 minutes of meeting them. And while I doubt he "enjoyed" Ms. Kelly undressing, I would say that he was acting fairly calm before he attacked her.

Other than her youth and the fact that she had her own flat (which she was behind in rent) there is really nothing that differs this woman from the rest of the women murdered.