Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by Robert St Devil 6 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by cobalt 9 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Graham 11 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by Herlock Sholmes 12 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Torso Killings: torso maps - (13 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - (10 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (9 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (7 posts)
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (4 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #3121  
Old 04-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
That's totally irrelevant to this thread. However the flat World brigade were wrong and you are wrong.
If I say that I am not devastated - will that sadden you much?

Goodnight.
Quick reply to this message
  #3122  
Old 04-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
It´s three now, actually, as per Gareth. At least.

It´s going epidemic
There's nothing remotely ridiculous in what I've suggested. I see no reason to include the Pinchin Street case in the other torso series, and certainly no reason to pin any of them on the Ripper. The Pinchin Street case might easily have been a one-off, just as many of the Whitechapel Murders (Coles, Mylett, McKenzie, Tabram, Smith, Stride...) could have been one-offs, and many of them almost certainly were. A lot of blood was shed that year, and it sure as hell wasn't all down to the same man; how much more likely is it that there was more than one man involved in the longer time-span of the torso cases?
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message
  #3123  
Old 04-15-2018, 01:23 PM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
If I say that I am not devastated - will that sadden you much?

Goodnight.
No but you are still wrong.
Quick reply to this message
  #3124  
Old 04-15-2018, 01:26 PM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
There's nothing remotely ridiculous in what I've suggested. I see no reason to include the Pinchin Street case in the other torso series, and certainly no reason to pin any of them on the Ripper. The Pinchin Street case might easily have been a one-off, just as many of the Whitechapel Murders (Coles, Mylett, McKenzie, Tabram, Smith, Stride...) could have been one-offs, and many of them almost certainly were. A lot of blood was shed that year, and it sure as hell wasn't all down to the same man; how much more likely is it that there was more than one man involved in the longer time-span of the torso cases?
I have to agree Gareth. Although I think it more likely one killer was responsible for the Torso Murders. Fisherman on the other hand is in R Michael Gordon territory pinning all sorts of murders on one man and we all know who that is.
Quick reply to this message
  #3125  
Old 04-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
Fisherman on the other hand is in R Michael Gordon territory pinning all sorts of murders on one man and we all know who that is.
Hmmm... I wonder who that could be, John
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message
  #3126  
Old 04-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
To hear you speaking about subjectivity though - that made my day. In haven´t laughed so hard for ages. So thanks for that!
I'm a darned sight more objective than you will ever be.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message
  #3127  
Old 04-15-2018, 02:12 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Insignificance, subjectivity and over-generalisation all over the map, as usual, and none of those cut any ice with me.
Insignificance subjectivity and over generalization??

Actually just facts, facts and facts. And simple ones at that.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message
  #3128  
Old 04-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I'm a darned sight more objective than you will ever be.
Lol. On the contrary sam, on this thread your Non objectivity comes shining through.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message
  #3129  
Old 04-15-2018, 02:19 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
That excuse won't be good enough here, I'm afraid. There were fundamental differences, and in nature not just degree.

PINCHIN.............. OTHERS
East London......... West London
Knife only............ Knife and saw
Arms attached...... Arms removed

Plus, there's the absence of parts found in the river but, as I say, this might just have been because they washed away unnoticed. Be that as it may, I'm content that the three differences I've listed in the crappy "table" above are strong enough pointers to an entirely different perpetrator(s) for the Pinchin Street case.
So when you list simple differences it’s objective but when others list similarities it’s insignificance, subjective, and overgeneralization? And all over the map Is it??

Your being blatantly hypocritical sam, and I’m starting to wonder about your self proclaimed great English comprehension.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message
  #3130  
Old 04-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Insignificance subjectivity and over generalization??

Actually just facts, facts and facts. And simple ones at that.
They weren't all facts, Abby, some were opinions - "skilfully cut and disarticulated". Says who? Define "skill". Others were over-generalised - "cut abdomen"... "dismemberment and mutilation"? Define "cut abdomen"... define "mutilation". Such facts as there were were insignificant - "dumped on land"? So what?; Leg attached in 1874 victim? Should 1874 be counted in the "canon", but I see absolutely no need to do so.

Compare Fisherman's list of apparent "facts" with my original ones:

PINCHIN.......................... OTHERS
East London..................... West London
Knife only.........................Knife and saw
Arms attached.................. Arms removed
No parts found in water..... Parts dumped in water (I've added that one, but only because Fish included "dumped on land" in his list).

Now, which strike you as the most useful distinguishing criteria? Clue: there are no "opinions" in my list, just pure facts.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.