Pc Long and the piece of rag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by harry View Post
    Heres what Long would have been confronted with.Turn off the lights and let your eyes become focussed.
    And your evidence for that conclusion is...?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulB View Post
      To be honest, I don't know and it's one of those questions that I've never thought to ask. I've assumed that the men weren't selected, just drafted across if available. If there was a selection process of some kind, then they may have drafted their best men, but the reality is that they needed little more than a physical presence and open eyes - quantity rather than quality - and could just as likely have drafted their worst men across and kept their best to ensure that crime elsewhere was kept to a minimum.
      Thank you Paul. Appreciate the fair and honest response.

Comment

To be honest, I don't know and it's one of those questions that I've never thought to ask. I've assumed that the men weren't selected, just drafted across if available. If there was a selection process of some kind, then they may have drafted their best men, but the reality is that they needed little more than a physical presence and open eyes - quantity rather than quality - and could just as likely have drafted their worst men across and kept their best to ensure that crime elsewhere was kept to a minimum.
        Spot in Paul.

If I recall correctly, Long was retarded in rank, which would indicate a long term issue with drink. However, none of this does mean that he was drunk all the time, nor incapable.

Monty
        🙂
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          Thank you Paul. Appreciate the fair and honest response.
          just had a thought-I wonder if there is anything in the police files about the drafting/transferring of men to help out and if there is anything included about what police officers should be transferred-ie. their qualifications and whether they were looking for quality?

Comment

• Abby,
            The Jack the Ripper HO and MEPO files have some references to draftees, I think, but they concern payment and are otherwise general, but I'm sure Monty will know. I imagine there must be a lot of information available in other papers. Monty's the Man.

Comment

Abby,
              The Jack the Ripper HO and MEPO files have some references to draftees, I think, but they concern payment and are otherwise general, but I'm sure Monty will know. I imagine there must be a lot of information available in other papers. Monty's the Man.
              thanks!

Comment

Charles Warren didn't appraise the situation as Long did.In darkness.
                Are you aware of the reflective properties of light Harry?

Do you know how a lamp enables people to see objects in darkness?

Comment

Heres what Long would have been confronted with.Turn off the lights and let your eyes become focussed.
                  But we can only speculate as to the ambient lighting conditions. And your image can in no remote way represent a perfect recreation of what PC Long would have seen, as you would require a time machine for that, which I assume you don't have.

Comment

• When Ingmar Bergman, the Swedish film and theatre director, staged "Miss Julie" in Stockholm back in the sixties, he had been severely thrashed by critic Gunnar Tannefors for his preceding production.
                    In the margin of the manuscript for "Miss Julie", at the remove where an elevator with the main characters in it get disconnected from the electricity, Bergman wrote "The elevator goes dark, like inside the head of Gunnar Tannefors". By then, that was his take on the total absense of any light.

For some reason, I came to think of that story as I read some parts of the last few pages of posts.

Comment

• To answer some of the questions.
                      What conclusion's 'PaulB?

Long's inquest testimony.
                      "The apron was lying in the passage leading to the staircase of no's 106 to 109,a model dwelling house.Above on the wall was written......
                      What is the impossibilities that prevents him also being in the passage? We do not know his exact location.He only states he was on duty in Goulston St at the time. Where does it say directly above the apron? It doesn't.
                      Am I aware of the reflective properties of light? Sure I am.
                      Do I know How a lamp enables people to see objects in the dark? Sure I do.
                      I do not need a time machine.I spent my early years in streets lit by Gas.Was born and brought up in a house that was lit by gas.My parents were Victorian.My grandparents were Victorian.
                      I do not need a time machine to recreate conditions.
                      Photohop will give an answer to how closely daylight to dark can be recreated. Write them.
                      Now I'll ask a question.What if Long was sitting on the steps insde the building at about 2.20?

Comment

• Monty
                        🙂
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

To answer some of the questions.

"The apron was lying in the passage leading to the staircase of no's 106 to 109,a model dwelling house.Above on the wall was written......
                          What is the impossibilities that prevents him also being in the passage? We do not know his exact location.He only states he was on duty in Goulston St at the time. Where does it say directly above the apron? It doesn't.
                          I do not need a time machine.I spent my early years in streets lit by Gas.Was born and brought up in a house that was lit by gas.My parents were Victorian.My grandparents were Victorian.
                          Photohop will give an answer to how closely daylight to dark can be recreated. Write them.
                          Now I'll ask a question.What if Long was sitting on the steps insde the building at about 2.20?
                          Hi Harry,
                          You showed a picture of an impenetrably black oblong and suggested that if one switched the lights out and allowed one's eyes to adjust, one would see what P.C. Long saw in Goulston Street. I wanted to know what evidence you had for concluding that P.C. Long would have seen nothing. After all, there were gas street lights, illumination from surrounding buildings, moonlight, and maybe other things, and you apparently know that none of them illuminated the passage at all. I'm interested in how you know that. Or have I utterly misunderstood you?

If this is directed at me, I'm afraid I don't understand what you are saying. If you are saying that the sources don't say that the writing was directly above the apron, then I'm afraid you are wrong. I'm busy right now, otherwise I'd dig out the reports where P.C. Long gives the location of the apron and writing. Or, have I misunderstood again?

I don't doubt that you know all about lighting, gas lights in particular. Any suggestion otherwise wasn't by me. But then you may not be addressing me.

What if P.C. Long was sitting on the steps inside the building? I'm not sure why you are asking that question because there isn't any reason to suppose that he was, but it would force a complete reassessment of the evidence as we understand it.

But, unless you know to the countrary, P.C. Long wasn't sitting on the steps inside the building. One might as well ask what it would mean if P.C. Long was across the street eating a bacon sandwich or was a time-travelling spaceman phoning home. Fantastic ideas (well, the spaceman one isn't) and worth checking out, which in the real world we probably would, but it was well over a century ago and we can't do that, so one's just speculating, shooting the breeze, going nowhere. The speculation is fun if you like that sort of thing, but it doesn't help in clarifying what happened all hose years ago. Or does it?

Comment

To answer some of the questions.

How can you use "photohop", or whatever it's called, to recreate the conditions of an environment that you have nothing like complete knowledge of? For example, a nineteenth century street scene?

And my ancestors, like everyone else's, no doubt once lived in caves, but it hardly makes me an expert on the ambient lighting conditions within cave systems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                              Spot in Paul.

If I recall correctly, Long was retarded in rank, which would indicate a long term issue with drink. However, none of this does mean that he was drunk all the time, nor incapable.

Monty
                              🙂
                              Interesting....do you know whether his demotion occurred before or after his being drafted into Whitechapel?

Comment

Long was confronted by a black rectangle?

Comment

Working...
                                X