Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Wickerman 8 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Wickerman 34 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Wickerman 47 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by packers stem 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by c.d. 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (76 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (15 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (9 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (7 posts)
Levy, Jacob: Jacob the Ripper - (5 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Lechmere/Cross, Charles

Old 06-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Cadet

Default Charles Cross?

Documentary on Channel 5 in the UK just now, citing CC as JtR.

Thoughts, folks?

My feeling is that if he was the killer, and was found with Polly Nichols, wouldn't he have been scared into laying low for months instead of escalating the violence so quickly? Or, in a sick way, would that have heightened the experience for him and spurred him on?

(Apologise if this is a duplicate thread, I couldn't find one. Please move or delete as necessary)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Chief Inspector

What makes Charles Cross a good suspect?
Old 06-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Chief Inspector

Seen this documentary before and wasn't really impressed no real evidence at all against cross/lechmere it's been discussed on here with great excitement the main thing that puts me off (apart from the lack of any evidence)Mr cross as a suspect is that we are asked to believe that after killing all these poor women he woke up one morning and was no longer a dangerous psychopath basically we are asked to believe that after the revolting murder of poor Mary Kelly (check the murder science photo out) he got better and went on to live happily ever after.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Chief Inspector

[quote=pinkmoon;342614 we are asked to believe that after killing all these poor women he woke up one morning and was no longer a dangerous psychopath basically we are asked to believe that after the revolting murder of poor Mary Kelly (check the murder science photo out) he got better and went on to live happily ever after.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be a common theme amongst suspects. Joseph Barnet being another one who allegedly got better after killing Mary Jane Kelly. I'm not convinced psychopathic killers ever get better.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:39 PM
Cadet

Hmmm. pinkmoon, you make a good point about post-Mary Kelly. I've seen that crime scene photo and don't think I could ever forget it

I'm still in the process of watching the programme as I've not seen it before, but the evidence about the timings and locations as related to Cross/Lechmere's life are certainly food for thought. They include Martha Tabram too which I find interesting. Also, the apparent occupation: meat delivery for Pickford's.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Chief Inspector

[quote=John Wheat;342616]This seems to be a common theme amongst suspects. Joseph Barnet being another one who allegedly got better after killing Mary Jane Kelly. I'm not convinced psychopathic killers ever get better.[/QUOT
This simple point is very often forgotten about .
Old 06-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Chief Inspector

Yes conveniently forgotten about.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairsLeuth View Post
Hmmm. pinkmoon, you make a good point about post-Mary Kelly. I've seen that crime scene photo and don't think I could ever forget it

I'm still in the process of watching the programme as I've not seen it before, but the evidence about the timings and locations as related to Cross/Lechmere's life are certainly food for thought. They include Martha Tabram too which I find interesting. Also, the apparent occupation: meat delivery for Pickford's.
It's a theory nothing more don't get me wrong there is nothing at all wrong with having theories on who jack the ripper was but to try and claim "case closed" without any evidence is wrong the whole cross/Lechmere thing has just snowballed out of control.

Last edited by pinkmoon : 06-04-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Cadet

Yeah, I have to agree. Having watched the rest of the programme, I'm now convinced it wasn't him. Cross/Lechmere made his fortune, became a grandfather and lived to 71. After killing Mary Jane Kelly, that's not going to happen.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairsLeuth View Post
Yeah, I have to agree. Having watched the rest of the programme, I'm now convinced it wasn't him. Cross/Lechmere made his fortune, became a grandfather and lived to 71. After killing Mary Jane Kelly, that's not going to happen.
I think they have suggested that he might have carried on killing using different methods.