Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Priscilla

Priscilla White gone at 72.

Took a job as a coat check girl in a club in Liverpool, met a couple of young blokes became a star.

Best known of course as Cilla Black,
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Priscilla White gone at 72.

Took a job as a coat check girl in a club in Liverpool, met a couple of young blokes became a star.

Best known of course as Cilla Black,

Sad.

Cilla, in the UK especially, was a household name for nigh on 50 years.

I grew up listening to her wonderful voice..her interpretation of classic Bacharach songs including "Alfie" which to this day sounds quite incredible. It is a very challenging song to sing.

Somewhere on YouTube there is a really good full length studio film of her recording this song. Check it out.

Cilla Black was more than a singer with an extraordinary voice. More than a program figurehead and presenter. More than a lady with a sense of fun in her eyes.

Cilla Black was an institution...With "a lorra laffs" thrown in.

RIP Cilla luv.

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
      Sad.

I grew up listening to her wonderful voice..her interpretation of classic Bacharach songs including "Alfie" which to this day sounds quite incredible. It is a very challenging song to sing.

Somewhere on YouTube there is a really good full length studio film of her recording this song. Check it out.

Cilla Black was more than a singer with an extraordinary voice. More than a program figurehead and presenter. More than a lady with a sense of fun in her eyes.

RIP Cilla luv.

Phil
      So true.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi,
        As Jimmy Tarbuck remarked,''A true rags to riches story''..It goes to show that being in the right place , at the right time, can give some people a real chance in life.
        She was not like many female pop stars of that period, her voice was different,but not special, but she was willing to work hard , and branch out into TV presentation, and that made her a household name.
        R.I.P Cilla.
        Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
          Sad.

RIP Cilla luv.

Phil
          I'm from Liverpool and she wasn't particularly popular when I was growing up . Her Tory party and Mrs Thatcher allegiances didn't exactly endear her to those back in her home city, coupled with a cosy friendship with Kelvin Mckenzie . We shall have to disagree on her 'singing' voice, I personally thought it was horrendous and she looked like Ken Dodds love-child . Guess she was one of those people in life who made the most of that "right place,right time" good fortune . Talent she never had in any guise, luck she had aplenty .

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
            I'm from Liverpool and she wasn't particularly popular when I was growing up . Her Tory party and Mrs Thatcher allegiances didn't exactly endear her to those back in her home city, coupled with a cosy friendship with Kelvin Mckenzie . We shall have to disagree on her 'singing' voice, I personally thought it was horrendous and she looked like Ken Dodds love-child . Guess she was one of those people in life who made the most of that "right place,right time" good fortune . Talent she never had in any guise, luck she had aplenty .
            Oh Jason, that's a bit mean!

True, she was a Thatcher devotee and I can quite understand how badly that would go down in Liverpool. She's not alone as an entertainer who adored Thatcher as fellow Liverpudlains Dodd and Tarbuck did too. However, apparently, Cilla was quite a fan of Harold Wilson in his day.

As for her voice, well, she couldn't match Dusty Springfield, that's for sure, but she did have a magnificent range and her rendition of 'Alfie' cannot be matched.

Nobody can help their looks. Unless you want to transform yourself into freakdom a la Michael Jackson, you just have to get on with what nature has given you.

All in all, I was no great fan of Cilla's, but she seemed to be a warm and genuine individual who was loved by many.

Comment

Hi,
              I find it quite sad that after all that life , she went so quickly, I guess that's what happens to all of us, life is only on loan..
              Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                Hi,
                I find it quite sad that after all that life , she went so quickly, I guess that's what happens to all of us, life is only on loan..
                Richard.
                But, really, that's perfect. I know by today's standards she was not at all old, but she had 'all that life' and then she went quietly and apparently with no suffering. If I could choose a way to go, I'd choose that.

Comment

She had also said she wanted to die at 75.
                  G U T

Comment

Working...
                  X