Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by caz View Post
    Hi Ansonman,

I just noticed this post of yours. If you happen to see this, could you expand on your comment regarding John Gannon's book on the Wallace case? I haven't read this one and don't particularly want to if his take on the killer's motive is too far fetched. Why does he say Julia was killed and who is his suspect?

Many thanks.

And apologies to all for being off topic.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Hi Caz,

He says that she was killed by her husband, the motive was jealousy and that this was a result of Julia Wallace being paid for sexual favours by Parry and another guy called Marsden. She was 67 years old, for goodness sake.
    Need I say more?

An excellent book on the case, though difficult yo get hold of, is by James Murphy. I believe he is the first writer to discover she was considerably older than her husband and others were led to believe.

Best regards,
    Ansonman

Comment

• Originally posted by ansonman View Post
      Hi Caz,

He says that she was killed by her husband, the motive was jealousy and that this was a result of Julia Wallace being paid for sexual favours by Parry and another guy called Marsden. She was 67 years old, for goodness sake.
      Need I say more?

An excellent book on the case, though difficult yo get hold of, is by James Murphy. I believe he is the first writer to discover she was considerably older than her husband and others were led to believe.

Best regards,
      Ansonman

My recollection of Gannon's book is that it was claimed that Parry and or Marsden committed the murder at the instigation of Wallace who wanted rid of his wife. Gannon's theory was that Julia paid Parry and or Marsden for sexual services and this was one of the reasons Wallace wanted Julia dispatched. It was not claimed that Julia was paid for sex.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spitfire View Post
        My recollection of Gannon's book is that it was claimed that Parry and or Marsden committed the murder at the instigation of Wallace who wanted rid of his wife. Gannon's theory was that Julia paid Parry and or Marsden for sexual services and this was one of the reasons Wallace wanted Julia dispatched. It was not claimed that Julia was paid for sex.
        You may well be right as it's a while since I read it. Either way, whether she paid them or they paid her for sex, I find about as credible as Valerie Storie's identification of Hanratty as her attacker.

For my money, the best book on the Wallace case is Roger Wilkes "Wallace The Final Verdict". Not only does he put forward a thoroughly credible case for who did it, but he also has witness testimony to support same. I still have tape recordings of the Radio City broadcasts that Wilkes kindly sent to me at the time and they make for compelling listening.
        Ansonman

Comment

• Many thanks for your replies, chaps.

James Murphy's was the last book I read on the Wallace case and I thought it was very good. Not sure I'll bother with John Gannon's. Even if you catch your killer, motive can be the most difficult nut to crack.

Love,

Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
            Many thanks for your replies, chaps.

James Murphy's was the last book I read on the Wallace case and I thought it was very good. Not sure I'll bother with John Gannon's. Even if you catch your killer, motive can be the most difficult nut to crack.

Love,

Caz
            X

Hi, Caz, I tracked down the full trial transcript for William Herbert

Wallace, for anyone interested.

Just watched the film on youtube 'The man from the Pru', quite good I

thought, well acted, how faithful to the true events, not too sure. They

seemed to struggle with the complexity's of the case, still, difficult to bring

everything together in an hour and a half movie, I should imagine.

(I would think it impossible to even attempt a film on the travesty of the

hanging of James Hanratty, they would probably need a ten week mini

series.)

Glad you enjoyed James Murphy's version of events surrounding the Wallace

case. I've sent off for the version recommended by Ansonman 'The final

verdict' by Roger Wilkes.$7. 75 including postage used, good condition.

I guess this should have gone onto the dedicated thread alluded to by Rod

Crosby. Oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by moste View Post
              https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet....Trial_djvu.txt

Hi, Caz, I tracked down the full trial transcript for William Herbert

Wallace, for anyone interested.

Just watched the film on youtube 'The man from the Pru', quite good I

thought, well acted, how faithful to the true events, not too sure. They

seemed to struggle with the complexity's of the case, still, difficult to bring

everything together in an hour and a half movie, I should imagine.

(I would think it impossible to even attempt a film on the travesty of the

hanging of James Hanratty, they would probably need a ten week mini

series.)

Glad you enjoyed James Murphy's version of events surrounding the Wallace

case. I've sent off for the version recommended by Ansonman 'The final

verdict' by Roger Wilkes.$7. 75 including postage used, good condition.

I guess this should have gone onto the dedicated thread alluded to by Rod

Crosby. Oh well.
              Cheers moste.

I watched 'The Man from the Pru' recently too, and thought it was quite well done. I also enjoyed Roger Wilkes's book on the case.

Time to go back to the A6 I think. I have about thirty pages to catch up with on the 'Rebooted' thread.

Love,

Caz
              X
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
              X