Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariab
    ...esp. since the town hasn't been known for much else before and since.
    Well, there's beer...and Laverne & Shirley.

and Harley Davidson!
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Comparison

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
      Snipped from Wikipedia:
      Milwaukee is the largest city in the U.S. state of Wisconsin, the 28th most populous city in the United States and 39th most populous region in the United States. It is the county seat of Milwaukee County and is located on the southwestern shore of Lake Michigan. According to 2010 census data, the City of Milwaukee has a population of 594,833. Milwaukee is the main cultural and economic center of the Milwaukee–Racine–Waukesha Metropolitan Area with a population of 1,751,316 as of 2010.Milwaukee is also the regional center of the seven county Greater Milwaukee Area, with an estimated population of 2,014,032 as of 2008

Are we talking the same tiny place?
      Milwaukee has a population of 594,833

For UK comparison purposes, I think that makes it about the same size as Nottingham.

As for the subject of the thread itself: With so many living family members still around, I think it both inconsiderate and tasteless to conduct these tours. Sadly, it is difficult not to wonder if the organisers copied the idea from the Jack the Ripper tours. I don't have a problem with these, and have been on one (as well as visiting some of the sites they don't include). As mentioned in an earlier post, none of those involved can still be living and I suspect that the JtR tours were not up and running until around a century after the event. (Does anyone know when they did start?)

Regards, Bridewell
      Last edited by Bridewell; 03-13-2012, 11:12 PM.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Misconceptions?

And another thing, Europeans talk about how many rooms there are in their house, while Americans count how many bedrooms. But then again, Yankees cook with gas vs. electricity.
        Odd...as a Brit, I refer to our house as a 3 bedroom semi...but thereagain I can cook with a cooker (gas), A Rayburn stove (like an aga) also gas, or a black lead range (solid fuel)...no electricity there...nor any stereotypes it seems!

Milwaukee has a population of 594,833
        For UK comparison purposes, I think that makes it about the same size as Nottingham.
        Precisely!

As for the subject of the thread itself: With so many living family members still around, I think it both inconsiderate and tasteless to conduct these tours.
        Couldn't have put it better myself!

All the best
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
          and Harley Davidson!
          Wow, I'd forgotten Harley Davidson was founded in Milwaukee prior to the Great Depression. Today HD is associated with SoCal. :-)

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
          Odd...as a Brit, I refer to our house as a 3 bedroom semi...but thereagain I can cook with a cooker (gas), A Rayburn stove (like an aga) also gas, or a black lead range (solid fuel)...no electricity there...nor any stereotypes it seems!
          Sorry, should have clarified, was talking about continental Europe. The British do some things the American way. In continental Europe gas ovens happen only in the deep country, if ever. But Eastern Europe cooks with gas. Personally I'm now used to cooking with gas here in Chicago (after several little accidents), but I prefer electricity. Can't use a gas baking oven to save my life. (So suicide à la Sylvia Plath is not an option, I guess. LOL.)

Another big discrepancy is the showers design. Americans flip out when they come to Europe and have to use their hands, lol.
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

the town hasn't been known for much else before and since.
            In addition to Pabst beer, Laverne & Shirley, and Happy Days (as mentioned by other posters), don't forget the Milwaukee Brewers baseball team and Kopps frozen custard. Personally, I couldn't care less about sports and beer, but man-oh-man is that frozen custard amazing. Try the chocolate .

Regarding the Dahmer tour, I think it is still much too soon. Too many living victims (i.e. the families) plus there isn't a lot to see. Dahmer's old apartment building would have been the only point of interest, but as others have already said, it was demolished long ago.

Comment

Working...
            X