Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Scott Nelson 16 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by jerryd 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by jerryd 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (13 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (9 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - (1 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Police Officials and Procedures > Swanson, Chief Inspector Donald

Old 07-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
As far as comparing Feigenbaum to Kosminski there is no comparion Feigenbaum stands out head and shoulders above Kosminski.
One is mentioned fairly consistently by contemporary Police Officials of the time, the other by his own Lawyer (whose word is the only one concerned with this alledged confession) in a sensationlistic Newpaper.

No, no head an shoulders at all. Just bearly hitting boot straps.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Inactive

It seems that a couple of things need to be set straight.

As I said above, a member of the family recently came across the correspondence, and was kind enough to pass it on to Keith Skinner, and to agree to the summary and extracts being posted here. I am not sure what Trevor Marriott's comment about "tree-shaking" was meant to imply, but the credit for making this information available should go to the Swanson family and Keith Skinner.

The difficulty with regard to the publication of the Davies report in the past has been explained to Trevor Marriott several times. It arose from the fact that the permission of the person who commissioned the report could not be obtained. To suggest that Nevill Swanson is preventing the report from being published, or that he is opposed in any way to its publication, is quite wrong.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
I refer to my second post above where I asked for us to see the letter from the NOW, to JDS that might throw some more light on all of the issue surrounding the marginalia.

If there is such a letter in existence then we will see just excatly what the NOW were buying did it contain the name oof Kosminski or not.
The transcripts I posted above are the only parts of the correspondence that describe the annotations in any detail. The letter from Robert Warren of the News of the World dated 16 April 1981 - of which I have seen a photocopy - does not.

But as you can see for yourself, Jim Swanson's initial letter to the News of the World, dated 26 March 1981, says that the information names the suspect (his emphasis).
Old 07-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Detective

Starter Kit for Feigenbaum!

Hello?
Old 07-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Roberts View Post

Hello?
I will treat that with the contempt that it deserves.

And as you are all talking about the evidence from police officers which you seem to rely on so strongly to champion Kosminski please read this

The Police Review magazine in 1913. The article was centred around an interview with another retired senior police officer Chief Inspector Henry Moore who was also directly involved in investigating the murders the relevant quote is "Well so far as I could make out he was a mad foreign sailor, who paid periodical visits to London on board ship. He committed the crimes and then went back to his ship, and remembered nothing about them"

I think that more than evens up the playing field.

Oh and I dont seem to recall Kosminski ever killing anyone with a knife to the point of almost decapitating them or have i missed something.

You can mock all you like because I am sitting here holding all the aces
Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
One is mentioned fairly consistently by contemporary Police Officials of the time, the other by his own Lawyer (whose word is the only one concerned with this alledged confession) in a sensationlistic Newpaper.

No, no head an shoulders at all. Just bearly hitting boot straps.

Monty
"Fairly consistently" are you having a laugh ?

The contempoaray police officers couldnt even agree on a suspect in any event and Major Smith says they never had a clue. So how can you and the other Kosmsinski`ites say he is a prime suspect.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Detective

Quote:
"Well so far as I could make out he was a mad foreign sailor, who paid periodical visits to London on board ship. He committed the crimes and then went back to his ship, and remembered nothing about them"
Quote:
The contempoaray police officers couldnt even agree on a suspect in any event and Major Smith says they never had a clue.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The transcripts I posted above are the only parts of the correspondence that describe the annotations in any detail. The letter from Robert Warren of the News of the World dated 16 April 1981 - of which I have seen a photocopy - does not.

But as you can see for yourself, Jim Swanson's initial letter to the News of the World, dated 26 March 1981, says that the information names the suspect (his emphasis).
Well can we see the letter or any correspondence from the chain of events which shows the News of The World were paying for an article which actually names Kosminski and not paying for an article which only refers to a polish jew.

I am simply trying to establish excatly what they were buying Kosminski or Polish Jew.

I fail to see if the article contained the name Kosminski how and why the NOW didnt print it especially after paying all of that monet which equates to around 4000.00 in todays momey. That would have been a major story.

Like I said before the conversation i had with Nevill Swanson and the e mail i received from him conflict with what you have written about this.

Last edited by Trevor Marriott : 07-24-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Well can we see the letter or any correspondence from the chain of events which shows the News of The World were paying for an article which actually names Kosminski and not paying for an article which only refers to a polish jew.
Which part of my last post are you having trouble understanding?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Commisioner

Yet Kosminski is mentioned by at least two prominant Senior police officials whereas your boy is alluded to where?

A news report and your book.

I'm no Kosminski-ite in any sense. I'm merely pointing out the obvious flaws in your beliefs that Feigenbaum, at this precise moment is far below Kosminski in the pecking order.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622