• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Day Robert,

I think there are only two alternatives:

1. Edward Cutbush the son of Thomas Hoskins Cutbush

or

2. Edward Cutbush 1820-1890 son of Thomas Flood Cutbush and the grandfather of my own grandmother.

I think the latter to be more likely because of the closer family link. However, the dress in 2. looks to me as being a bit dated for a middle aged man in say 1850, but I am obviously not an expert. I will try an attachment here.

keith
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Keith

Thanks very much for that splendid portrait. Yes, if this was Edward Cutbush son of TFC at, say, 60, that would put a date of 1880 on the painting, and perhaps he does look a little old-fashioned for such a date. On the other hand, and going from memory, wasn't Edward a banker? Such folks aren't noted for their cutting edge appearance.

Robert

Comment

Keith, Hi!

My name is Gloria and I am a half second cousin 2 x removed to Thomas Hayne Cutbush, welcome to the Forum.

I am not very good on the computer and have just literally fallen on your PM's to Robert, Debs and Cap'n Jack.

Do you have any information of the Meek side of the family? I would be very happy to fill you in on anything I have on Cutbush/Flood/Mears and others.

Regards,
        Gloria

Comment

Cutbush relatives

Keith, Hi!

My name is Gloria and I am a half second cousin 2 x removed to Thomas Hayne Cutbush, welcome to the Forum.

I am not very good on the computer and have just literally fallen on your PM's to Robert, Debs and Cap'n Jack.

Do you have any information of the Meek side of the family? I would be very happy to fill you in on anything I have on Cutbush/Flood/Mears and others.

Regards,
          Gloria

Comment

Cap'n Jack, Any further leads of Thomas Taylor Cutbush in South Africa, dead or alive??
            Regards,
            Gloria

Comment

Hello Gloria,

Thanks for the welcome. I have John Joseph Meek down as married to by great great aunt Clarissa Cutbush, but nothing more known. I am hoping to meet with a cousin of sorts soon and expect to develop rather more on the Cutbush-Flood-Gripper family, and will happily share anything exciting.

Keith

Comment

Great portrait Keith, ages ago I came across a photograph of a lady named Mabel Cutbush, daughter of the Maidstone newspaper Cutbush family....I haven't got it to hand to compare at the moment but I was looking at it quite recently, Edward's features do seem similar to hers as far as I can remember... odd, as I don't think they were even related though!

Comment

Robert, you know when they shut the library for alterations, and it was never quite the same again when it reopened? Well she was in one of the now missing sections . She was involved with the red cross during WW1, some sort of matron I think. I thought I'd saved the picture but I can't find it, it may turn up somewhere, my files aren't very organised!

No roses round the door? Cute house though.

Comment

Hi Keith,
                    Thanks for your PM. Did you know that John Joseph and Clarissa went to South Africa? Its been very difficult to get any information about the family in S.A. My Grandmother was Margaret CUTBUSH Meek, and she was born in South Africa. Her father was Rowland Scudamore Meek.
                    Keith, do you have a Fax Number that I can send you some of the family tree? Its going to take me a while to amass it all, as I'm a real dodo on the computer, but you will get what I have.
                    I have just checked my kinship with Thomas Hoskins Cutbush and find I am his 4th great grand daughter.
                    Hope to hear from you,
                    Gloria

Comment

Cutbush Photographs

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                      Great portrait Keith, ages ago I came across a photograph of a lady named Mabel Cutbush, daughter of the Maidstone newspaper Cutbush family....I haven't got it to hand to compare at the moment but I was looking at it quite recently, Edward's features do seem similar to hers as far as I can remember... odd, as I don't think they were even related though!
                      Hi Debs,

The photo you came across of Mabel Cutbush could well be a relative as there were Cutbush Clockmakers in Maidstone, Kent and who knows, they might have been into Newspapers too.

Wasn't the picture put up by Keith great? Wonder what the other two that he has not put up yet look like? Can't wait to see them.

I am busy ploughing through the Armstrong family to whom I have a connection.

Have you heard from Jane-Anne recently?

Best regards

Glor

Comment

Hi Glor,
                        Could be, she was related to the Horatio and Richard Cutbush newspaper family in Maidstone. I've not come across a direct connection to the Cutbushes of London, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Do you know if they are related?
                        I hope Keith will post pics of the other two paintings too.
                        No, I've not heard from Jane-Anne for a long time, I was leaving you two to swap all your family information in peace!

Debs

Comment

Thanks for that Gloria.
                          I met my mother's cousin from South Africa, Kathleen Cutbush in the 1950's but I was barely 8 years old, so I know little of her, but will try to discover a bit more. I would love to have anything you can provide but have no fax; but I will get you a fax number to use and let you know. . That would be wonderful. I can send you a GED file of the Cutbush tree I have, if you would like that.
                          Thanks again.

Comment

By popular demand, here are the other two portraits, both of whom we assume to be Cutbushs or possibly Grippers. The young man was painted by Pieter van Huffell, who was Director of the Ghent Academy in 1846. I hope to develop more information soon. Hope you all enjoy these offerings.

I will send each picture separately due to size consraintsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	654764

Keith

Comment

I am having trouble with the young man, but will post asap

Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X