MCC baddies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCC baddies.

Apart from Druitt, have any other members, past or present of MCC been accused or convicted of heinous crimes?

Best wishes,

Steve.

According to wussy Aussies, the great Harold Larwood and Douglas Jardine have been accused of some terrible crimes in the past.

Infact one writer of the day stated Jardine was the most hated British man since Jack the Ripper.

Monty
    Last edited by Monty; 05-03-2010, 09:58 AM.
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
      According to wussy Aussies, the great Harold Larwood and Douglas Jardine have been accused of some terrible crimes in the past.

Infact one writer of the day stated Jardine was the most hated British man since Jack the Ripper.

Monty

Don't all MCC members commit a heinous offence by wearing those bloody awful ties?
      Chief Superintendent Brownlow: "Are there any Tension Indicators? Over!"

DI Galloway: "Tension indicators?! They're throwing bloody petrol bombs. Sir."

Comment

Well here's an example of one:

Am going to let Monty's snide comment sail through to the keeper (pun intended) and simply reply with the old: "Look at the scoreboard."

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

Wasnt snide Adam, was merely stating a fact.

After all, we had to change the rules to accomodate your bitchin n moanin.

Yeah, look long and hard at the scoreboard son.

Monty
          Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post

Monty
            Nice one, Monty. Apparently as the HMS Orontes was due to dock in 1932, Jardine was jeered at by some of the Aussie public who had taken a dislike to him on the previous tour.

"They don't seem to like you over here, skipper" said a team mate. Our hero pulled his best patrician face and replied, "It's f***ing mutual."

Bodyline, or "fast leg theory" as Jardine would have it, was perfectly within the laws of cricket and succeeded in its primary purpose of putting the wind up Bradman good and proper. I think we should have an extra Bank Holiday called "Jardine Day" to honour this great man. Whingeing poms indeed. Pah! The words pot and kettle spring readily to mind.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Whilst fielding deep in the covers he was plagued with flies so began to swat them away. A voice from the Aussie crowd pipes up....'Oi Jardine yer bastard, leave our flies alone....they aint dun owt to yer'.

Actually Jardine visted Australia in the early 50s and was received quite well. They adored Larwood too, as do I. He is my sporting hero. I spoke with Larwoods grand daughter last Christmas, lovely woman.

Nah, Aussies are renowned for dishing it out and being unable to take it back. Look at the last two Ashes over here. As Jones would say, they dont like it up em.

Monty
              Monty

Comment

Wow! Lol's grand-daughter. I expect you have a copy but I really enjoyed Duncan Hamilton's biography of Larwood. Even in that old newsreel footage, you can get a real sense of how fast he was, can't you?

Fair play to Woodfull, Fingleton, Oldfield, Mc.Cabe et al. for facing our hero in the pre-helmet era.

Well bowled, Harold!

Steve.

Comment

Poor old Bill Woodfull copped one straight in the heart. Others got hit flush on the head. No helmets or body padding in those days. It's a miracle that nobody got killed or atleast very seriously injured. In that capacity, Jardine and Larwood.....well, it's best I don't express my opinion of them. Still, ya dirty tactics didn't stop The Don from averaging well over 50.

Suffice to say that having seen footage of Bodyline, it's quite a thrill to watch the 70's - 80's cricket matches with Lillee and Thomson bowling at the Poms....muahahahaha.

Cheers,
                  Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                    Poor old Bill Woodfull copped one straight in the heart. Others got hit flush on the head. No helmets or body padding in those days. It's a miracle that nobody got killed or atleast very seriously injured. In that capacity, Jardine and Larwood.....well, it's best I don't express my opinion of them. Still, ya dirty tactics didn't stop The Don from averaging well over 50.

Suffice to say that having seen footage of Bodyline, it's quite a thrill to watch the 70's - 80's cricket matches with Lillee and Thomson bowling at the Poms....muahahahaha.

Cheers,
                    Adam.
                    Two words, Adam: four - one.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post

Cheers,
                      Adam.
                      This post highlights the hypocrasy of yer average Australian cricket fan.

Condoning our tactics whilst praising Thomson who admitted, on tv, that he bowled at batmen and, specifically, at their heads in order to draw blood.
                      Only one, Oldfield, got hit on the head. And neither Woodfull nor Oldfield were struck during fast leg theory. Woodfull got hit because he was woefully slow and Oldfield cos he couldnt hook. Apologies for not accomodating your sides weaknesses.

Pondsford tactic of turning his back was ludicrus whilst Woodfull just duck, so low at one point Larwood appeled for LBW. Bradman ran away to square and only McCabe took it on and won.

The only player who should that mythical Aussie grit.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

Steven:

Two words: Five - Nil

Monty:

You play cricket. So I would very much like to see how you would bat if you were facing, say, Brett Lee or Shaun Tait, wearing no helmet and no padding other than gloves and what's on your shins.

Meanwhile, good to see the UN get a smacking from the Wendies last night. It pleased me greatly.

Cheers,
                        Adam.

Comment

D/L method is never a fair way of deciding a game Adam, as you are aware.

If I had the skill of a test match player I wouldnt be ducking as Woodfull did, nor trun my back and take it on the arse.

Bottom line is Larwood was simply too quick for what was an elderly Aussie team.

Now, where did we put that urn...oop there it is...in OUR cabinet.

Monty
                          Monty

Comment

Adam,

I have faced an ex Test bowler, and I tell you, it was only Ray Bright, and he turned it sideways at medium pace! It showed me the difference between us and them...so Gawd knows what facing a real quickkie would be like.... brown trousers and a guard call for leg stump or better!

But as Monty says.. for the moment.. who has got the ashes? Oh yes..we have.. permanently.. because the real ones are at Lords in a strong room...
                            The ones they play for are a copy.

best wishes

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                            Accountability? ....

Comment

Australia's writers showed their claws
                              Her backers raged, her batsmen shook
                              Statesmen consulted and the cause?
                              Our bowling was too good to hook.

D.R. Jardine 1933.

Jardine faced a dose of his own medicine at the hands of Constantine and Martindale when the West Indies toured England the following summer. The Caribbeans were encouraged to try a bodyline attack against England. Jardine scored a century.

Never mind, Adam. At least your man won the snooker.

Phil: a friend of mine was a good batsman in his youth and played for (I think) Lancashire Colts. The great Kapil Dev was bowling medium pacers to him in the nets one day when my friend asked Kapil to let one go at full speed. Kapil agreed but bowled deliberately wide so my pal would not be in any danger. He says he never saw the ball.

All joking aside, I imagine it must be pretty terrifying to face a genuine express bowler on top of his form. I wonder who was the quickest ever. Frank Tyson (sorry about him, Adam) must be a contender.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Working...
                              X