Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the binding is crap.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Yes, this one and one of the good non-suspect based linear JtR case study books would be the ones to have in my view.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

But if I were allowed two Ripper books on the desert island, Philip, the other would definitely be the magnificent Hutchinson/Clack opus.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

With its excellent binding.

PHILIP

Comment

Ah, yes, bindings. Bindings, bindings, bindings. You can't beat a good binding.

Several JTR publications in my posession have fallen foul of bonding deficiencies. JTR - An Encyclopedia lasted mere days before individual pages decided to detatch themselves rather inappropriately. My A-Z fared little better. The Ultimate Source Book managed to keep itself in one peice for a good 4 years until the picture sections decided to attempt egress.

My 1973 edition of Autumn of Terror clocked in at a healthy 8-or-so years before splitting into two parts and then disappearing altogether, so top effort Mr Cullen.

I have a 1981 Rumbelow that is still able to achieve unity (outstanding!), which bodes well for Messrs. Clack and Hutchinson's production, the binding of which I must say is quite superb. Such strength, such all-embracing firmness of purpose, no doubt in constant battle with the sheer weight of the photographs contained within, but I am confident that it will be able to embrace and gel the meaty contents with aplomb.

JB

Comment

I would recommend that anyone who does not already have A-Z should wait until the new edition comes out and not bother purchasing the error-riddled earlier edtions. Many of the people I see praising the accuracy of these old editions are usually the same ones I see regurgitating it's many errors and then stubbornly sticking to them because they're branded with the Begg name. Keep in mind the last edition was published in 1996. That's 12 years ago and before the Casebook was the force of research and progress it has since become. I've no doubt that the new edition will be the complete and flawless volume Begg says it will be, so please just wait for that one.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Do you think you'll be mentioned in it, Tom?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                  Do you think you'll be mentioned in it, Tom?
                  I recognize a loaded question when I see one. For some reason, I answer them anyways, so here goes...Absolutely not. I haven't published a book and the majority of information and essays I have published appeared in Ripper Notes, which Paul Begg hates with a black passion.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    I would recommend that anyone who does not already have A-Z should wait until the new edition comes out and not bother purchasing the error-riddled earlier edtions. Many of the people I see praising the accuracy of these old editions are usually the same ones I see regurgitating it's many errors and then stubbornly sticking to them because they're branded with the Begg name. Keep in mind the last edition was published in 1996. That's 12 years ago and before the Casebook was the force of research and progress it has since become.
                    Note to self... Joseph Merrick no longer a viable suspect...

PHILIP

Comment

Been waiting for this 'new' A to Z for ages it seems. Guess the authors are still studying expert opinions on this here casebook
                      And whatever happened to Cornwells' follow up to 'Case Closed'

Comment

Hey, looks like I started a debate with the AZ!!

I phoned the publishers of 1994 edition I have - Headline Book Publishing in London - they dont know anything about any new edition. But the person I spoke to I don't think knew what day it was.

With the old site I always thought how many many questions could be answered just by looking in the AZ - same on this new site. Explrers need a map - Ripperologists need the AZ

My AZ is held together with tape now

Phizzie

Comment

Originally posted by plang View Post
                          And whatever happened to Cornwells' follow up to 'Case Closed'
                          She's still busy putting the final touches to her last word on the subject, CASE OPEN.

PHILIP

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                            She's still busy putting the final touches to her last word on the subject, CASE OPEN.
                            ...her penultimate word on the subject, Phil. I've heard rumour of a pre-prequel, called "Sickert - The Quest for Luggage".
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I heard its a 4 parter,

The Quest for the lost case
                              Case closed
                              Case open
                              Basket case
                              Regards Mike

Comment

Case Closed.

I started to read this book - totally crazy - she said the knife found after the murder of Elizabeth Stride is a cooks knife - so Sickert liked to cook so he was the Ripper. Maybe if they found an easel thrown away in a doorway, could be Sickert.

My copy is for sale - cheap.

Phizzie

Comment

Working...
                                X