Doomsday Clock Resets Itself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doomsday Clock Resets Itself!

A few years ago I came across an oddball internet site devoted to 'Crystal Skulls and Mayan Prophecies'.
    It offered the usual blather, but also provided a handy digital clock counting down the months, days, minutes and seconds until December 21, 2012.

The second count changed right before your eyes. It was a sort of Doomsday App. The concept amused me for a little while, and then I forgot about it.

It's now almost 3:00 AM on December 21, 2012, and it just occurred to me that the world hasn't ended.

(No, I wasn't staying up late worrying about it; I had a severe allergic reaction to a medical treatment 10 days ago, and the steroid they put me on to suppress the allergic reaction has also suppressed my ability to sleep at night! It's maddening.)

Anyway, I wondered what had become of that Doomsday Clock... Did it spontaneously combust at the stroke of midnight? Has the Crystal Skull finally Spoken?
    Have the Ancient Aliens returned?

I just took a look, and it gave me a much-needed laugh when I saw that the Doomsday Clock has RESET itself!

The 'Hours', 'Minutes' and 'Seconds' counters have all gone to Zero, portending our doom, but the dramatic effect of seeing all the Zeros is immediately nullified because the 'Days' counter has reset itself to 20,000.

I did the math (well, on my cell phone calculator) and that gives us 54.79 more years... unless there are Leap Years in there, in which case I'm too tired and sleep-deprived to figure it out.

I'll do it maņana.

Cheers,
    Sleepless In Seattle
    Attached Files

I think the world's end deadline has now passed, and I am still here. So all is well, unless I have miscalc - .....oh, bugger!

Comment

The real bummer Robert is that we missed the 09-09-09 Crystal Skull Festival advertised on the above page...

That would have been the coolest concert tour t-shirt ever.

Oh, wait, I just thought of something- maybe we can attend the 13-13-13 Crystal Skull Festival??

Mark your Doomsday Calendar. Especially if it falls on a Friday.
      Last edited by Archaic; 12-21-2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Bunny, we will have to add an extra month to the year for the 13-13-13 one. I suggest that one leap month be added every 50 million years - just to keep the calendar in synch, you understand - and by my calculations, the extra month is due next year!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          I think the world's end deadline has now passed, and I am still here. So all is well, unless I have miscalc - .....oh, bugger!
          We're gonna sue the pants of somebody....

We all maxed out our credit cards last night in the firm belief today was it!

Its about time we joined the rapidly emerging "no-fault" society, .....its not my fault, ....we gotta find someone to blame....

So whats the next frikkin date
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Arch,

Not saying you've gone mad or anything, but Colney Hatch has free room and board.

Mike
            huh?

Comment

Ah, you must never spend too much on the end of the world, or you'll have nothing left for the next end of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                Arch,

Not saying you've gone mad or anything, but Colney Hatch has free room and board.

Mike
                Hi Mike.

That's tempting... Is the food any good? I was awake til 4:30 AM and today I feel like my own Zombie Apocalypse.

Fortunately I was told to stop taking the steroid today, so maybe it will wear off in a few days and I'll be able to sleep. But right now my theme song is "I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones.

Cheers,
                Archaic

Comment

This would make a good t-shirt too.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X