Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
    Hello you all!

How about a remake of Plan 9 from Outer Space?

All the best
    Jukka
    Would it be a good version, or an even worse one?

Comment

Some of the best spaghetti westerns were remakes of Japanese films.

Fistful of Dollars is almost a scene by scene remake of Yojimbo (plus "Warriors of the Wasteland" updated the story to sci-fi and "Last Man Standing" as a depression era gangster flick).

The Magnificent Seven is a remake of Seven Samurai.

In both instances both the Japanese originals and the Italian knock-offs are great.
      Last edited by Magpie; 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM.
      “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
        And "Casablanca" WAS remade.....as "Barb Wire"......

I also read a few weeks back that there is actually a sequel to Casablanca in the pipeline....
        Last edited by Magpie; 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM.
        “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Talking of the excellent Yul Brynner, i would like to see a remake of Westworld.
          I think modern effects would serve the novel better. I think the guy who played Jesus in the Passion of the Christ would make a good gunslinger, and Jake Gyllenhal the tourist.
          SCORPIO

Comment

The recent remake of True Grit was pretty good. Remakes of famous movies don't have to be bad, they just often are.

Gladiator was quite good, and as everyone knows, was really a remake of The Fall of the Roman Empire - even if it pretended it wasn't.

Comment

The Alamo remake with Billy Bob Thornton as John Wayne was actually pretty good. Never having been a fan of the first one, it made it easier to like the second one.

Although the one John Wayne movie that can never be remade is The Conqueror. Something that bad can't possibly be improved.
              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Wasn't The Conqueror that John Wayne movie where the cast and crew, and visiting family members, would get cancer in high numbers supposedly from filming near a bomb test site? Yeah, skip that remake. I suppose a remake of "The Keep" would be good.
                I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

That's the one. Although the gruesome awesomeness of such a colossally bad idea should never be replicated, John Wayne as Ghengis Khan is a priceless performance. Any remake could only render it terrible. Let is stand as so awful it's hilarious.

There's also a seven hour musical movie called Che! out there about Che Guevara, if you are into the worst that movies that can be.
                  The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Well, "Greatest Story Ever Told"; Christ is on the cross, camera pans to John Wayne as a Roman centurion, and he speaks. There is just something very wrong with Rooster Cogburn delivering lines as a Roman soldier. Which brings up that a remake of "The Bible", or "The Ten Commandments" could be rather interesting now.
                    I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                    Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

"Troo-lee this was the son of God"

"Cut...now say it with more awe Mr Wayne"

"Aw troo-lee this was the son of God"

All the best

Dave

Comment

You saw that also huh? That was one of those "sit around with relatives" movies, as Biblical ones usually were, and in the midst of elders crying, he speaks. Someone says, "That was John Wayne!!", another replies, "Did he just call Christ Pilgrim??? Can't hear with all this crying!" There went that, stuck with Ten Commandments.
                        Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Alan Bennett told a similar story about a northerner who composed the inscrption for his wife's gravestone. After a few pious remarks about her devotion to god etc, the inscription concluded "She were thin." The vicar, reading it as "She were thine" suggested that the husband put an extra 'e'. A few days later the inscription read, "E, she were thin."

Comment

Working...
                          X