X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on Victorian Prostitution?

Is there any?

Hi Garza!

The only one that stands out at the moment for me is titled "City Of Dreadful Delight: Narratives Of Sexual Danger In Victorian London" by Judith R. Walkowitz. I had trouble actually remembering that whole title but I googled a few of the words that I did remember and found it, LOL. It is a very informative book, telling in detail about the social history and sexual dangers of Victorian London in the 19 Century and the dangers with JTR lurking around. I had taken it out from the Library about a year ago and I remember that it was very hard to put down. It was a very interesting read.

Comment

The London Underworld in the Victorian Period: Authentic first person accounts by beggars, thieves and prostitutes by Henry Mayhew et al is also a good one. Walkowitz's book is good but driven by a fairly visible agenda (not that the Mayhew project agenda was less explicit, but it's well put together, v. evocative of the language of the time.
      best,

claire

Comment

Have to agree with Claire, your best best would be to try and get hold of some contemporary Victorian surveys, articles, books, etc by the likes of Henry Mayhew - in this case, original sources are going to be the most accurate and insightful.

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

Working...
        X