Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retouched photo is my guess. I love stuff like this where the people don't seem aware that there's a photo being taken. I always wonder what they'd think of where the photo's are now.
    Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

Hi Mike, he's pretty cute! I think you'll find he's talking about the figure standing infront of the fish and chip shop - it's actually the guy's jacket, but it resembles the shape of a turtle shell.....

Comment

Thanks for the picture Celesta.....it has a lot of "atmosphere"- wish I could step through and have a look around,don't you?

Comment

He was pointing to the far left hand side near the stall!

I love old photos and i have a massive collection of old public house photos from here in Hull.

Some are of building still in exsistance but shown then, many more are of buildings which have gone

Mike
          Regards Mike

Comment

Wentworth--Other half of Suzi's Picture--from Postcard

This is the other half of the Wentworth picture that Suzi posted. I thought the two older gents on the right side were interesting and we get the view of the buildings on the other side of the street.

Suzi, I hope you don't mind me doing this. I just love the old gent in the front center. The scan of my postcard may not be a clear as the photo you posted. I had to zoom in, which clarified the details a bit, then I shrank the whole thing again. There is nothing on the back of the card to tell me who originally took the photo, but perhaps the team of Clack and Hutchinson will know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wentworth2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	652629
            Last edited by Celesta; 02-22-2008, 08:51 PM.
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Here's one that I found while I was going through the JTR photo files on my computer yesterday. This one would have saved loads of argument on an old thread about how MJK's rooms were laid out and how she and Joe reached in through the broken window to unlock their door.

Name:	mk-room_b.jpg
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	652632

This shows the window in question, and a little bit of the doorway...

I've got to hurry up and get that disc of photos in the mail to Spry & Ally. Lyn and I need to pop over to the grocery store tomorrow to pick up some padded envelopes, or perhaps I can do it Sunday on my way to Atlanta to build some bookshelves for an old friend. In any case, the CD of photos should be on its way through the US mails before too long.

Vila
              "Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible - However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..." - Brice Linch: Max Headroom
              Dan L Hollifield
              Senior Editor/Publisher: Aphelion Webzine
              http://www.aphelion-webzine.com

Comment

Dan, this may be a good time to mention a thought I had. Do you all recall the long-running forerunner to blostergate in 2005 or 6? The discussion on what was that square thing on the floor under the window of #13? We never did get it sorted out in the end. Glenn was always sure it was a drip-pan, Jane thought it was a drain cover and I thought it looked like it possibly had edges raised above ground level but sided with the cover because the pan seemed just... daft...

Well, I went to a lecture on an Edwardian photographer who worked locally to me a few nights ago, and I MIGHT have the answer.

It's an assumption, but I take it most of us agree that MJK1/2 was taken through the broken window of #13 before the 1:30pm entry. We also know it was on a glass plate and not the new Kodak film, right? With me so far? Good.

Now, when photographers took shots on glass plates at that time, they couldn't just take the camera back to the studio or lab and do it there; they had to have their own portable tents, solutions, trays etc for instant developing and fixing of the negatives. As this tray is positioned by the window, I have a feeling we might have our answer, and that would also indicate to me that MJK1/2 was taken just before the exterior shot of #13.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

PHILIP
                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Philip, that does sound logical. But I wouldn't want to say I was 100% sure about it. After all, just because something is logical doesn't mean that it is true.

I'd have to really study that photo before I committed myself to an opinion on the matter. That said, you might indeed be on to something.

Vila
                  "Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible - However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..." - Brice Linch: Max Headroom
                  Dan L Hollifield

Comment

Here is another photo scan from my files that I haven't seen in the above posts. I'm going back to the original scans that I did for Spryder and doing a brand new image. It is the doorway to the alcove wherein the Goulston Street graffito was chalked...

Name:	goulston2.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	652636

I am also including the text from the page of the book where this photo was scanned...

Name:	goulston2b.jpg
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	652637

OK, it just goes to show that I don't really even know the contents of my own computer yet, much less the entirety of Ripperology.

Since this is a new edit of this particular scan, I need to include it on the disc I'm mailing to Spry & Ally. Maybe I should go through all the original scans and re-do as many images as I can before I mail the disc off. There is plenty of room on the disc, after all.

Vila
                    Attached Files
                    Dan L Hollifield

Comment

Sorry but this just made me laugh!!!!!!!!!!! A little seen 1888 meeting!

Name:	Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	652643 heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (Suspect No 1 Top right!!! Ally!!!)
                      Last edited by Suzi; 02-23-2008, 06:40 PM.
                      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Thanks so much, everyone. I especially loved the Mitre Square ones.
                        Mags

Comment

Name:	hehe2.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	652644 Seriously it must have been me! with Jack.....it's all right it was Mr Palance!!!!!!! hehe!!!
                          Last edited by Suzi; 02-23-2008, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                            The discussion on what was that square thing on the floor under the window of #13? We never did get it sorted out in the end.
                            I thought we did get it sorted out as best we could:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4th February 2006, 03:19 AM
                            dannorder
                            Superintendent

I have to agree with Tom and Philip here... that item in the photo is definitely three-dimensional with depth and heighth tht takes it above the ground level and with a hollow interior. Looks like the edges are slanted too. Could be a pan or tray of some sort or possibly a lid for a box or other container (thought the slanting of the edges would seem to suggest against that). I have no idea why it's there, whether it was something in Miller's Court originally or brought there by police or the camera man.

Dan Norder
                            Ripper Notes - The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                            Website: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

4th February 2006, 03:44 AM
                            George Hutchinson
                            Superintendent

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by dannorder
                            I have no idea why it's there, whether it was something in Miller's Court originally or brought there by police or the camera man.

Dan - you may have hit on the answer.

Cameramen had to bring their own processing equipment on site with them. Though KODAK film was available by this time, we know for a fact these are on glass plates. If the photographer had just taken MJK1 through the window, this could well be his processing pan.

Please someone, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is sounding very, very promising.

By the way, Tom, I need not worry about siding with you here. Glenn and Jane are two of my bestest chums on this site and I can't see myself ever getting into a spat with them - we're all far too nice.

PHILIP

It looks to me very much like a tray used in photo processing, but I wasn't sure if one would have been used on the site in photography at the time. Certainly a tray can be used for all sorts of things, but it's an odd place to put one, and we knew (from the existence of the photo, obviously) that a camera was there. We can't be 100% sure about it (and how could we ever?), but this explanation strongly fits the circumstances and the dimensions of the item in the picture.

Dan Norder
                            Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                            Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Just a pic

Name:	heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	652647 heeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

Thanks, Dan. Shows how time clouds things - two years ago, eh? You archivist, you! Good to know that - though I'd forgotten it - I hadn't changed my mind!

Suzi - above... two members of The Scissor Sisters?

PHILIP
                                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X