Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look where the clock figures ended up.

Comment

• How's about this? Official stationery of Kearley and Tonge. Two Ripper sites for the price of one!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Kearley&Tonge 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	656644

Handsome stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
        Look where the clock figures ended up.
        Now I know why John shaved his beard off. The resemblance is uncanny.

Hi John

Nice bit of stationery. I missed that, good job your on the ball.

Rob

Comment

• Any idea what the photos are that the boys are displaying in the Bucks Row school pic? It wouldn't be anything to do with the Coronation of George V, would it?

Comment

• Architects drawings of the Durward Street K&T warehouse, 1902. Rather lovely. They were in pretty poor shape and a nightmare to unfold.

Name:	Kearley&Tonge 2.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	656645

Name:	Kearley&Tonge 3.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	656646

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Any idea what the photos are that the boys are displaying in the Bucks Row school pic? It wouldn't be anything to do with the Coronation of George V, would it?
              Haven't the foggiest Robert. I originally thought the school closed around 1912/13. But John told me today it might have been open up to at least 1918.
              This is the best I can get from the image.

Name:	Bucks Row School detail.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	656647

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                I originally thought the school closed around 1912/13. But John told me today it might have been open up to at least 1918.

Rob
                The last reference I have seen to the school in minutes of the LCC Education Committee was 1913. I would assume, judging by an inspection report for 1912 (which said it would be closing soon) that this was when it closed.

The 1918 reference I mentioned to Rob was the committee's consideration of letting Schneider's (over the road) use the abandoned building for the duration of the war (WW1). Which considering the date, wouldn't have been very long.

JB

Comment

• And with the Board School in mind, here's a drawing I found today for a proposed crane to be installed on the building when it was Elfin Works in 1951. I don't think this was ever realised.

Anyway, the distinctive frontage of the school is well in evidence on this drawing.

Name:	ElfinWorks.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	656648

Comment

• I'm sure George V is in there somewhere. Why, I don't know.

Comment

• Well, yeah, isn't that George V on the left? That would certainly be appropriate if the picture was taken in 1910-12.

Comment

• Hi Robert,

At a guess on the left, Tsar Nicholas II, and on the right a young George V, but I have no idea about the man in the middle.

The Tsar and George V were related and the Tsar did visit England at some time, I cannot say when at the moment as all the books I have read on him came from the library.

Rgds
                        John

Comment

• Hi John,

Think that visit was in 1909?

Cheers,
                          Dave

Comment

• George V was Nicholas II cousin and after the Russion Revolution of 1917, the Tsar wanted asylum for him and his family in the UK. The British Government allowed the move, until George V stepped in, and turned the decision over!

There are numerous images of them together here,
                            Regards Mike

Comment

• I apologize if this is slightly off topic, but I thought the photo experts here might be able to help with a question I have. I am wondering about these 2 photos of the Police Seaside Home at Hove, 51 Clarendon Villas. I can't actually recall where the photos came from, but I am pretty sure both were posted on the forums... the black and white photo was recently purchased on Ebay I believe.

In any case, these 2 buildings look completely different. Why is this? I assume the original building was completely rebuilt? Is that right? Or are these 2 completely seperate buildings? Perhaps identifying the photos here would help... is it certain that the black and white one is the home at Hove and not some other Police seaside home?

Thanks

Rob H
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Looking at them, I would say they are different buildings. I don't think the coloured photo is a re-building of the black and white photo because both buildings look similar in age to me. The building black and white photo looks as if it dates from about 1880 to 1910. The photo looks as if it was taken at the turn of the 20th century. The building in in the coloured photo looks as if it dates from the 1870s to the 1890s and the photograph looks more recent and the building looks as if it has been restored.

Comment

Working...
                                X