" THE BELL TOWER " - r. graysmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " THE BELL TOWER " - r. graysmith

anyone read the 1999 book : " the bell tower " by robert graysmith ?
    is it worth my time ?

( i once read patricia cornwells " portrait of a killer and was completely sold- till i found this site and it was debunked { evidently } )

the same author claims to have solved the ZODIAC serial killer case as well.

i did not see the aforementioned graysmith book mentioned on the site.

thanks -

Hi and welcome. I've had a copy for years but have never read it. It's not a book people tend to ever mention and in that I think you MIGHT have your answer!

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Jor-L5150 View Post
      anyone read the 1999 book : " the bell tower " by robert graysmith ?
      is it worth my time ?

( i once read patricia cornwells " portrait of a killer and was completely sold- till i found this site and it was debunked { evidently } )

the same author claims to have solved the ZODIAC serial killer case as well.

i did not see the aforementioned graysmith book mentioned on the site.

thanks -
      ok- i officially apolgise for wasting your time. i read some reviews and it appears that " the bell tower " is an interesting true-crime, it evidently has nothing to do with jack the ripper. sorry.
      not actually very big in the " true-crime" genre- but the ripper is fascinating and i was puzzled that " bell tower " was not listed on the site.

as an aside- what are the most popular books on the " ripper " ??
      ( and by that i mean most informative and repsected , debunking the bunk etc )

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
        Hi and welcome. I've had a copy for years but have never read it. It's not a book people tend to ever mention and in that I think you MIGHT have your answer!

PHILIP
        indeed , phil !

thanks-

recomendations?

Comment

I've read the book, it's riddled with factual errors and when I read it I thought that the theory was deliberately constructed to sell the book in the US.

Chris Lowe

Comment

Originally posted by Jor-L5150 View Post
            as an aside- what are the most popular books on the " ripper " ?? ( and by that i mean most informative and repsected , debunking the bunk etc )
            Hi Jor-L,

I recommend Jack the Ripper - Scotland Yard Investigates. A new (2006) book with many photographs and drawings from the period, produced in a high-quality, large page format. Written by Evans & Rumbelow, two top shelf experts.

Roy
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

I thought the book was OK as I took the Ripper connections with a grain of salt. Graysmith is a good illustrator and I learned a few things about Durrant that I didn't know before. Likewise, I didn't think Cornwell's book was that bad when I filtered out the Sickert stuff.

Graysmith had a good suspect in Arther Allan for the Zodiac murders. The problem though was that he didn't do it.
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

The general rule of thumb is to search out anything with the names of Begg, Sugden, Evans, Rumbelow, Fido, Skinner (and dare I say Clack & Hutchinson if you can find one?!) and know that you're not on suspect-only territory (or, if you are confronted with a suspect, know that the info going with it is given with knowledge) if you want a no-nonsense overview.

Every other thread on this board screams Sugden first.

PHILIP
                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Working...
                X