New President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For info:

To become the Prime Minister of UK you must first be elected as one of 650 Members of Parliament and then elected leader of the largest Party (the method of doing this depends on the Party).

"People wishing to stand as an MP must be over 18 years of age, be a British citizen or citizen of a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland "

Steve

Comment

Until 1949 I think it was, Australians were regarded as British citizens. I don't know whether that was the case in all the realms of the then British Empire or not. If it was, then Bonar Law would have automatically have been regarded as British.

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
        For info:

To become the Prime Minister of UK you must first be elected as one of 650 Members of Parliament and then elected leader of the largest Party (the method of doing this depends on the Party).

"People wishing to stand as an MP must be over 18 years of age, be a British citizen or citizen of a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland "

Steve
        For what it's worth basically the same here.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
          For info:

Steve
          From my recollection the youngest British Prime Minister was William Pitt the Younger, who was 24 when he became the Prime Minister. He lasted (with only one two year hiatus for Henry Addington) for nearly twenty five years, and died while still Prime Minister.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            From my recollection the youngest British Prime Minister was William Pitt the Younger, who was 24 when he became the Prime Minister. He lasted (with only one two year hiatus for Henry Addington) for nearly twenty five years, and died while still Prime Minister.

Jeff
            Jeff

we currently have the youngest ever( in modern times at least) Member of Parliament:

"Of those whose ages can be verified, the youngest MP since the Reform Act of 1832 is Mhairi Black, elected in 2015 aged 20 years 237 days. The age of candidacy for Parliament was lowered from 21 to 18 by the Electoral Administration Act of 2006"

from Wikipedia

Steve

Comment

Wyatt Roy was 20 1/2 when he became an MP AND about 25 when he became an Assistant Minister.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Watson was 37 when he became PM, our youngest.
                G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                  Yes, isn't it that no-one knows whether Cruz's mother had taken Canadian citizenship at the time of Ted's birth, (yes he was born in Canada) or just that the Cruz's were simply living there for convenience? If former, Ted's out, if latter he's OK. Strange that Trump's people have done no investigating!
                  I'm sure they have, and have learned along with everyone else who has made a go of it that Canadian Immigration records are not public documents. His mother would have to personally produce the documents for anyone to have a look at them. Assuming they exist. She may still be a US citizen for all I know. So if she doesn't release them, they don't get released. And all anyone can do is issue a call for the information, but she is not obliged.
                  The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                    I'm sure they have, and have learned along with everyone else who has made a go of it that Canadian Immigration records are not public documents. His mother would have to personally produce the documents for anyone to have a look at them. Assuming they exist. She may still be a US citizen for all I know. So if she doesn't release them, they don't get released. And all anyone can do is issue a call for the information, but she is not obliged.
                    Back a couple years, while in Texas, I happened to see a newspaper article about how this could eventually be an annoyance if Cruz ran for the big chair. It mentioned that his birth was registered to the US consulate at the time and the only reason for doing that is to get a Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate- which is a birth certificate for natural citizens born on foreign soil. It's what they would have used for everything where a birth certificate is needed in the US. Doesn't make sense for someone who became a citizen of another country and then renounced their US citizenship to do. Because even if she was a Canadian citizen, she was still also an American citizen unless she renounced it and that's the only way that Cruz could not be eligible based on current reading of what a natural citizen is. Of course, since there's no hard and fast legal definition of that Congress could say "Screw ya, Teddy boy" and decide that spur of the moment for giggles that natural citizens are only those born on US soil.

Wow that was a lot of words for little information. My bad.
                    I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      Can someone fill me in on the Cruz Canadian birth thing.

I know someone not born in USA can't be President.

Is it alleged Cruz was born there?
                      What I've read is that Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban-Canadian father. He was told when starting to run for President that he had dual citizenship, both U.S. and Canadian, which isn't okay. So he renounced his Canadian citizenship, and said all was fine.
                      This question of his mother's status is new to me, but does sorta make sense.
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                        What I've read is that Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban-Canadian father. He was told when starting to run for President that he had dual citizenship, both U.S. and Canadian, which isn't okay. So he renounced his Canadian citizenship, and said all was fine.
                        This question of his mother's status is new to me, but does sorta make sense.
                        As far as I'm concerned, the circumstances of his birth might be like, the 127th reason he should not be president. Least of his problems.
                        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                        X