Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
    Thanks for the kind offer.

An odd, trivial request, but could you possibly look up Miller's Court and settle once and for all the eternal question: apostrophe or no apostrophe?

Thanks
    Magpie, the directory was no help. In the pod cast on Dorset Street however it was mentioned that the man for whom the place was named was Miller. That would make it the possessive for or Miller's. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
      Hi Dave, here's a mini-list off the top of my head. Thanks!

Charles Grandy/Grand/Grande
      Amelia Marie Pourquoi
      Anyone named Buki
      John Tyrell/Tysell
      Everard or Edwin Smith
      James Batchelor
      J.H. Batchelor
      Any Batchelor w/first initial 'J'
      Israel Schwartz
      N Benelius

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      O.K. Tom the Buki thing has gotten in my crawl. Could you find the boundaries for knightsbridge please. I will inventory all the streets and check each one. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
        Thanks for the kind offer.

An odd, trivial request, but could you possibly look up Miller's Court and settle once and for all the eternal question: apostrophe or no apostrophe?

Thanks
        With an apostrophe, as it is named after John Miller who bought some gardens and built a few one up, one cottages on the location, reached via the passageway.
        He called the area Miller's rents, which became Miller's court.

Number 13 appeared much later, when John McCarthy rented a house from a friend and partioned it.

doris
        ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

Hi Dave, sorry for being so slow in responding. Regarding Le Grand, his addresses in late 1888 were as follows:

35 Charlotte Street
          85 Bolsover Street
          3 York Place, Baker Street
          283 The Strand (office)
          10 Agar Street (office)

I have no idea about the boundaries of Knightsbridge. Sorry.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

so I throw the question to the class. Who knows the boundary conditions of "knightbridge in 1888?" Dave

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
              Who knows the boundary conditions of "knightbridge in 1888?" Dave
              Any boundaries that the ancient settlement of Knightsbridge may have once had, were long gone, by 1888.

Throughout the nineteenth century, Knightsbridge was an undefined 'area' that straddled the boundaries of no fewer than four parochial entities:

- The Parish of St. Margaret, City of Westminster (Detached)
              - The Parish of St. George Hanover Square, Liberty of the City of Westminster
              - The Parish of St. Mary Abbotts Kensington
              - The Parish of St. Luke Chelsea

Here's the general area, for which you are looking …

Knightsbridge (Click to Enlarge in flickr)
              Underlying Aerial Imagery: Copyright Google Earth, 2007
              Overlying Plots, Labels and Color-Shadings: Copyright Colin C. Roberts, 2010

Comment

Hi Doris,

No apostrophe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Millers Court.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	659044

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Septic you are awesome. Dave

Comment

Septic you are awesome. Dave
                    He certainly is Dave! But you have done some pretty good stuff yourself !
                    Are you going to send me the info you pm"ed me about Dave? I am looking forward to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                      Hi Doris,

No apostrophe.

[ATTACH]8575[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Simon

The earliest document that I have read has Miller's court with an apostrophe.

I dont think some chap who makes signs should be considered to be the ulitmate authority on a streets name.

doris
                      ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

thanks to Septic Blue's response

knightsbride east west streets: (according to the bacon maps)
                        knightsbridge, raphael st, arthur st, montpelier place, exeter street, harriet st, harriet mews, cadogan place, halkin st, anne place, wilton crescent, grosvenor crescent, halkin crescent,halkin st, york st, new st,new street, exeter, quenns gardens, lloyd's place, elizabeth st. north south : hill st, charles st, knightsbridge court, pavillion rd, sloan st, seville st, charles st, harriet mews, pembroke mews, belgrave mews, ? chesham mews, cadogan place, walton place, montpelier place. Dave

Comment

no Ripper, J.T.

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                          I know it's not likely, but check to see if there's an entry for J.T. Ripper.
                          Nothing is ever that damn simple! Dave
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pearson entries

Happen to have an address? Dave
                            1888 Pearson entries. Dave
                            Attached Files

Comment

O.K. Tom the Buki thing has gotten in my crawl. Could you find the boundaries for knightsbridge please. I will inventory all the streets and check each one. Dave
                              Here is part two Tom. Dave Quoted the wrong damn message! I simply must be tired.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                                Thanks Dave,

Wolf Levisohn 1888/1889
                                Severin Klosowski 1888/1889
                                [and later if possible]

Prince of Wales said to have had a flat near Fenchurch Street/Prince William Street?

Batty Street occupants re Tumblety

re Thomas Cutbush----any Tea Warehouse in the Minories?
                                Hi Nats! Here is 1888, no luck on special k or his brush selling buddy. I have not yet started on the 1889 directory yet, will do in about a week. Dave
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X