No announcement yet.

James Camb - "The Porthole Case"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How wonderful ColdCase, especially about Gay's hairbrush, and thank heavens the file wasn't destroyed. Yes, please keep us posted here. Incidentally, I've searched everywhere here in Oz for Vince Kelly's book on the Shark Arm case and no luck. It seems to be only held by State Libraries now. I read it years ago somewhere, probably at my local library, but they no longer have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
      I've searched everywhere here in Oz for Vince Kelly's book on the Shark Arm case and no luck. It seems to be only held by State Libraries now.
      Thank you for trying. I know one person in Oz who owns a copy, so if all else fails, I could ask him to loan it to me. If that fails, then I will write the case based on articles and the contemporary newspaper reports.
      Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

New Camb Photo

Previously unpublished police mug shot of James Camb on the day of his arrest posted on Cold Case Jury website.
        Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

Originally posted by ColdCaseJury View Post
          Previously unpublished police mug shot of James Camb on the day of his arrest posted on Cold Case Jury website.
          Last night I looked at the police mug shot. It certainly shows Camb looking more worn and wan than in the better known shot of him in his uniform and cap.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            Last night I looked at the police mug shot. It certainly shows Camb looking more worn and wan than in the better known shot of him in his uniform and cap.

Jeff
            Camb had little sleep in the previous 48 hours when this photo was taken, during which time he was interviewed by the police. This raises an interesting question: would Camb have admitted being in Gay's cabin had he had legal representation during the police interviews? He had none. After admitting to being in the cabin, he had to confess to dumping her body. A good move?

Comment

Camb had little sleep in the previous 48 hours when this photo was taken, during which time he was interviewed by the police. This raises an interesting question: would Camb have admitted being in Gay's cabin had he had legal representation during the police interviews? He had none. After admitting to being in the cabin, he had to confess to dumping her body. A good move?
              Possibly just as well he mentioned it. Had he lied, and said he never was in the cabin, but it was later shown he lied, the assumption would have been he had lied to hide what happened to Gay in the cabin. The same verdict might have resulted, but I wonder if the change of the sentence would not have occurred.

Jeff

Comment

Possibly just as well he mentioned it. Had he lied, and said he never was in the cabin, but it was later shown he lied, the assumption would have been he had lied to hide what happened to Gay in the cabin. The same verdict might have resulted, but I wonder if the change of the sentence would not have occurred.

Jeff
                The only evidence that he was in the cabin at the time of the disappearance was the eye-witness testimony from Frederick Steer. He was arguably the least impressive prosecution witness, changing his testimony from the committal and from what he had originally told the captain. Would a jury hang a man on that basis?

BTW, the change of sentence had nothing to do with the evidence or the trial, but the House of Commons had temporarily suspended the death sentence at the time.

Comment

Press Coverage of Death of an Actress

From the Daily Echo (19.3.2016):
                  Attached Files

Comment

The photograph of Gay showing her full face is the best used whenever the case is discussed. There is also at least one of her (from an angle) at a rehersal or during a play. Have you found any others?

Comment

The photograph of Gay showing her full face is the best used whenever the case is discussed. There is also at least one of her (from an angle) at a rehersal or during a play. Have you found any others?
                      Not in the police file. The Daily Echo printed an exclusive picture at the time (Oct 1947) showing Gay standing in a smart suit. I might be able to post if you are interested, but it would "newspaper quality".

Comment

Not in the police file. The Daily Echo printed an exclusive picture at the time (Oct 1947) showing Gay standing in a smart suit. I might be able to post if you are interested, but it would "newspaper quality".
                        If you can you might as well try it. Anytime there are additional photos of a victim or suspect or witness in a case it is of interest.

Thank you if you do.

Jeff

Comment

Anytime there are additional photos of a victim or suspect or witness in a case it is of interest.
                          Jeff
                          Jeff, here you go. This is the front page of the Southern Daily Echo at the start of the James Camb trial. This picture of Gay I have never seen anywhere else. I know she was 5'4" tall. She appears petite in this image at least.

Images (C) Southern Daily Echo.

Antony Matthew Brown
                          Author of Death of an Actress.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the posting. It's strikes me as odd as so few photos of Gay Gibson have turned up, given her choice of career, and that she had some family. But then notice how slow it has been for photos of Montague Druitt to pop up over the years.

Yeah she was petite. A very sad life there.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, here you go. This is the front page of the Southern Daily Echo at the start of the James Camb trial. This picture of Gay I have never seen anywhere else. I know she was 5'4" tall. She appears petite in this image at least.

Images (C) Southern Daily Echo.

Antony Matthew Brown
                              Author of Death of an Actress.
                              What is the badge on her lapel, the outfit (including the badge) looks like a uniform.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                What is the badge on her lapel, the outfit (including the badge) looks like a uniform.
                                Very good observation. I don't know for sure, but Gay was in the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) from 1943 to 1946; it may be something to do with this.

Antony

Comment

Working...
                                X