No announcement yet.

The Seduction of Mary Kelly- William Perring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, people naturally tend to believe more exciting stories (e.g. the Royal Conspiracy) and prefer them to the truth, or at least something very likely close to the truth, as this book. That's always been the way of the world.

Hey Bill,

when I buy the book (could be very soon as I'm in need of some "mind fodder" for the summer holidays) I will contact you again
    In heaven I am a wild ox
    On earth I am a lion
    A jester from hell and shadows almighty
    The scientist of darkness
    Older than the constellations
    The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

Now I'm finally through with it. Had some other books to read before it (I always read my books in the order that I get them), but I've always looked forward to reading "The Seduction...". Once I had started, it only took me two days to read those nearly 600 pages and I have to admit, parts of it were not easy as I'm no native speaker of English. So I read everything extremely carefully, afraid of missing some tiny but most significant details. After 14 hours of reading yesterday (I'm on holiday), I'm now gonna write a review as I promised you Bill

It's been one of the most moving books I read in recent years, because Mary Kelly's fate as depicted here makes you feel sympathy for the girld, no matter how hard you try not to. The key thing about it is not that it really happened that way or could have happened that way (no one knows), but that there most likely have been lives of individuals in Victorian England who were like that and who had to see all their dreams crashing to the ground time and time again. Reasons for that could be numerous: death of family members (the social network provided by the state was ridiculous), cuts in wages, illnesses for which there was no effective treatment, at least not for the poor (John Kelly in the book) and so forth.
      All this has been based upon the foundation that many people (including myself) tended to see Mary Kelly as a key figure in the Ripper case. Not necessarily because the Ripper did it all because of her or other unproven theories, but simply for the fact that she's the most enigmatic of them all. So Bill Perring has managed incredibly well to use what little we MIGHT know about her in order to build his plot around it. Along the way, he paints a bright and lively picture of Victorian life in different parts of society (the "small people" in the countryside, the bizarre and decadent upper-class and finally those who've let go of hope and dignity and sometimes barely cling on to life, such as Annie Chapman here). The hypocrisy and double-standards that many people connect with the VP also come alive: the preacher calling the victims "fiends" (instead of the killer) before returning to a warm home and food aplenty maybe. It's always easy to talk about things you don't understand or don't want to see. These contradictions reach their peak in the most torn character of all: Julia Jones/Devereaux, who, from an aimless life like Mary's turns into a religious fanatic. I've seldom read such a metamorphosis described as credible as here.

All in all, a must-read for anybody remotely interested in the Ripper case. All others should make themselves acquainted with it first, because, when the plot turns to Whitechapel, you need basic knowledge in order to fully appreciate all the allusions to things every Ripperologist knows.

10/10 points

Best regards,
      Helli
      In heaven I am a wild ox
      On earth I am a lion
      A jester from hell and shadows almighty
      The scientist of darkness
      Older than the constellations
      The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

Best Mystery Novel Ballot

Some kind soul has nominated The Seduction of Mary Kelly for the best mystery novel - so, if you enjoyed the book, or simply enjoyed the animated trailer on the web site - or maybe even just like the title, or the illustration on the front of the cover, then maybe you'd pop over and give me a vote?

http://www.critters.org/predpoll/novelmys.shtml

It's in a different category to Brian's Study in Red, so you can vote for both

Best wishes and a happy new year

Bill
        Last edited by Bill Perring; 01-02-2009, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Done. I trust that others here who enjoyed your excellent novel will vote for it also. Good luck, Bill.

Comment

Kicking myself because I missed out on this thread last fall while working on the show--gah!! Now to visit Amazon and update my wish list.

Comment

Originally posted by Divakind View Post
              Kicking myself because I missed out on this thread last fall while working on the show--gah!! Now to visit Amazon and update my wish list.
              With the favourable exchange rate at the moment, you can get it direct from me for only $25 which includes the astronomical air mail charge - why I'll even dedicate it for you

Just mail to bill@darcycollection.co.uk

Comment

I'd like to thank my mother, my agent, my milkman ...

As you will have already seen from Brian's Study in Red thread, we have both won 'best novel' in our respective categories.

Thanks to everyone who voted - I love you all - and particular thanks to Brian for nominating me in the first place.

Best wishes
                Bill

PS A special 'thank you' price of £10 inc p+P, and signed by myself (or the milkman if you wish) is available for UK customers (£16 USA because of airmail charges) by mailing me at bill@darcycollection.co.uk

Book details at http://www.marykelly.co.uk

Comment

Great News Bill, Brian told me so I put a vote in for both you and Brian.
                  Regards Mike

Comment

Just to let you know that the hefty 600 page hardback, which was comprised of Books One and Two of The Seduction of Mary Kelly, has now been split into two separate volumes for sale in Kindle format.

For today and tomorrow (Thursday 25th April) book one can be downloaded for free.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Seduction-...N%3DB00CFS2VG6

I hope you will give it a try. It is a fictionalised account of the life of Mary Kelly - but the facts have been faithfully adhered to, and the ripper's identity and motives I believe to be every bit as credible as many of the suspects in non-fiction books.

Download the free first half, and if you don't like it, I'll give you your money back

Comment

Thank you Bill

I for one will give it a try...mind you my Kindle waiting to read list is now almost as long as my real books waiting to read list (Despite my very best efforts and my lady wife's grumblings!).

All the best

Dave

Comment

Maybe this will put you in the mood to move it to the front of the queue

http://www.darcycollection.co.uk/marykelly/ripper5.htm

Comment

This book is one of the best I've read in a long time, I would thoroughly recommend it. I got part one free, part 2 was £2.35, but I would have gladly paid more. A must read for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by misspag View Post
                            This book is one of the best I've read in a long time, I would thoroughly recommend it. I got part one free, part 2 was £2.35, but I would have gladly paid more. A must read for everyone.
                            Damn - now you tell me

Delighted that you enjoyed it, and thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

You're welcome. I've told everyone how good it is, I can't recommend it enough, I was totally mesmerised by it.

Comment

Well done Mr. Perring. Finished Book Two this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed your efforts. Since we have no photo of Miss Kelly (alive) I will forever use the image you created for your book's cover as a substitute. For that alone I thank you.

And a quick Post Script: Would make for quite a compelling TV mini-series. I wish I was still in a position to "greenlight" it.
                                Last edited by Blue Coat Boy; 09-29-2014, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X