Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Joshua Rogan 4 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Sam Flynn 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by c.d. 5 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Sam Flynn 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Herlock Sholmes 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (18 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (12 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (5 posts)
General Discussion: Mystery photographs found in car-boot sale box - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - (2 posts)
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Pub Talk

Old 04-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
I dabble a little in it. About twenty years ago my office in lower Manhattan was near the Surrogate's Court House, which has an interesting library. I looked up some birth certificate numbers and sent for the rolls of recorded birth certificates for my mother's mother and her siblings. I still have them.
But I never really got into it. A college chum of mine had a mother who did - she was checking sources in Britain and America, because they might have been related to the family of the Tudor poet, Sir Thomas Wyatt, and she found they were related to the wealthy Brown Brothers of Wall Street fame (who also founded Brown University). I never had the inclination to dig that far.

Have you gotten deeply involved in genealogical research?

Jeff
My mother was the big genealogist in my family. She started with a dial-up computer and visits to the local Latter Day Saints libraries and archives. She traced her ancestry back to Charlemagne, and found that she qualified for both the Colonial Dames Society and the Daughters of the American Revolution. Also had people in both sides of our Civil War. I have recently begun trying to reconstruct her work, using an account on Ancestry.com, and I also did a DNA test with Ancestry, finding I am mostly English, Scottish, Irish, Western European, and some Scandinavian. My dad's people came from Ireland in the era of the Potato Famine, as well as Luxembourg and the Netherlands. I seem to have a number of farmers in
both lineages. I want to get back into digging more deeply soon.
I highly recommend using an online genealogy service, of which Ancestry is probably the best.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:08 AM
Detective

I don't do genealogy. Well I say that but I did do a bit of research once and the only records found were a hand print and a rudimentary drawing of a bison.
I've always suspected a Viking heritage, being 6' 2", blonde and by necessity, vampire like levels of Sun avoidance.
My hometown, Wednesbury is a corruption of Wodensborough, which was the name of my school. We have a statue of Odin's horse Sleipnir overlooking the town.
I've always been puzzled by how the Vikings got here, the only river being the Tame, which is narrow and shallow. I found very little support for my theory that they arrived here on pedalos.

All the best.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:15 PM
Chief Inspector

Ha, very funny, Mr. Wilson, thank you very much. I suppose the Vikings might have used Odin's horse for transportation, as it was a special steed. (Are "pedalos" those pedal-operated boats sometimes shaped like swans I've seen in British movies? Love to see a "Viking" putting about in one of those!)
---------------
Old 04-03-2018, 03:29 AM
Detective

Hi Pat.
Yep, that's the ones. We are about 70 miles inland from the west coast, although we do have the mighty river Severn about 15 miles away, known by the Romans as Sabrina, which I've always thought was rather lovely.
Another example of heritage statuary is the Patent Shaft gates, a major steel employer, which adorn a roundabout near the bus station.
Patent Shaft closed down some time in the mid 80's. Not a major surprise to me, my best mate worked there and the theft of tools and materials was Olympian.

All the best.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin wilson View Post
Hi Pat.
Yep, that's the ones. We are about 70 miles inland from the west coast, although we do have the mighty river Severn about 15 miles away, known by the Romans as Sabrina, which I've always thought was rather lovely.
Another example of heritage statuary is the Patent Shaft gates, a major steel employer, which adorn a roundabout near the bus station.
Patent Shaft closed down some time in the mid 80's. Not a major surprise to me, my best mate worked there and the theft of tools and materials was Olympian.

All the best.
One might say Patent Shaft got shafted by it's patently dishonest shaftees.

My apologies - couldn't ignore the comment.

Jeff
Old 04-04-2018, 02:37 AM
Detective

Hi Jeff.

Good one. I saw him once busily welding together a trailer for his car.
My enquiries were by no means extensive, but I had reasonable grounds to suspect where the steel came from.
Come to think of it, I have my doubts about the source of the welding equipment.
As you would expect, when it closed down he blamed ' the bloody management'.
Probably why I can never quite get behind the cause of the poor oppressed worker.

All the best.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:07 AM
Superintendent

A few years ago (quite a few actually) I knew a lorry driver who was regularly in and out of the Patent Shaft. They used to give him regular ‘backhanders’ to take out little ‘additions’ to his load.

I think a lot of the employees were visually impaired as this guy used to talk about ‘blind eyes’ quite a lot

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 04-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Casebook Supporter

I've an idea that the Vikings simply carried their boats when they couldn't use them.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:54 AM
Detective

Hi Herlock

I'm not sure they ever solved the mystery of who stole the two large stone balls that sat atop the entrance to the war memorial. They must have weighed a ton.
I have vague memories of councillor Bill Archer making a statement in the Express and Star. Ufo's may or may not have been involved.
Throw in regular prosecutions for somebody nicking the cable from the Metro and it can be argued that over the years someone has been stealthily stealing the entire town.

All the best.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin wilson View Post
Hi Herlock

I'm not sure they ever solved the mystery of who stole the two large stone balls that sat atop the entrance to the war memorial. They must have weighed a ton.
I have vague memories of councillor Bill Archer making a statement in the Express and Star. Ufo's may or may not have been involved.
Throw in regular prosecutions for somebody nicking the cable from the Metro and it can be argued that over the years someone has been stealthily stealing the entire town.

All the best.
I dont like to congratulate criminals but.....you have give a slight doff of the cap to whoever managed to nick them. How the hell.....And why did no one see them at it? I blame the Russians

When I was a kid I worked with Bill Archer for a while. He was a lorry driver. Hed break into a song at the drop of a hat.

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"