Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• findagrave.com

Ladies/Gents,

Has anyone got assess to this web search tool or anything similar, who wouldn't mind doing a look up for me?

Give me a name, mine is something like a billion graves
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Many thanks GUT.

I’m trying to confirm the location of possible grave(s) for James & Emma RIILEY, both died in July 1896, I assume they’ll be in the same grave?. There is suggestion that they were laid to rest in East Finchley cemetery London.

Any assistance in locating their last resting place, would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
        Many thanks GUT.

I’m trying to confirm the location of possible grave(s) for James & Emma RIILEY, both died in July 1896, I assume they’ll be in the same grave?. There is suggestion that they were laid to rest in East Finchley cemetery London.

Any assistance in locating their last resting place, would be greatly appreciated.
        I assume you mean RILEY and not RIILEY as you spelled it?

They may be in the same grave but they may not. Not sure you can make the assumption that they are buried together.

You might not assume William Herbert Wallace, accused of bludgeoning to death his older wife in Anfield, Liverpool, in the 1930s is in the same grave as his supposed victim, but the two of them are in Anfield Cemetery together to this day.

Legal reasons or some other objection might have prevented the Rileys being buried in the same grave. Say, for instance, the couple's children (if they had any) disliked James and knew the couple had had a serious falling out before their deaths, they may feel that Emma wouldn't want to be in the same grave as her husband.

Best regards

Chris
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hello Street Cat

Our intrepid and resourceful friend Robert Linford kindly located the following --

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper, July 12, 1896
          Christopher T. George

Comment

Many thanks for this Chris & Robert.

Lloyd's Weekly is the root of my confusion, as I can't seem to locate a Finchley Cemetery only an East Finchley Cemetery.

Are they the same place?

I was hoping that a search on grave finder or the like, would clarify this for me and perhaps even give a location within the cemetery, as East Finchley Cemetery appears to be rather large and I wanted to avoid spending hours (if not days) walking round it trying to locate their grave(s).

Comment

Hi SC

I suspect the only way to access the grave records will be to pay a small fee to Deceased Online.

If you go to the serarch page and search for James and then Emma you'll find both buried on 9th July 1896.

The 1896 calendar shows this to have been a Thursday :

United Kingdom 1896 – Calendar with British holidays. Yearly calendar showing months for the year 1896. Calendars – online and print friendly – for any year and month

Here's some background info :

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                Many thanks for this Chris & Robert.

Lloyd's Weekly is the root of my confusion, as I can't seem to locate a Finchley Cemetery only an East Finchley Cemetery.

Are they the same place?

I was hoping that a search on grave finder or the like, would clarify this for me and perhaps even give a location within the cemetery, as East Finchley Cemetery appears to be rather large and I wanted to avoid spending hours (if not days) walking round it trying to locate their grave(s).
                Glad to help, Station Cat.

It occurs to me that a period map should identify what cemetery is being referred to. Also the described route of the funeral procession might possibly help.

Good luck.

Chris
                Christopher T. George

Comment

Flash of genius..............Have emailed the cemetery directly to see if they can help me out.

Will let you know how I get on. But in the meantime thanks for everyone who has replied to my thread, it is all greatly appreciated.

Comment

I contacted Islington cemetery and was informed that James and Emma Riley are buried in plot C6/7. But I was also informed that this area was in the oldest part of the cemetery and that finding their actual graves might prove difficult. I thought to myself how hard can this be, that was until I arrived at C6/7. As you can see for yourselves from the below photographs the whole area is completely overgrown and I had to admit defeat, after spending an hour or so grappling through with the undergrowth I had to settle for photos of the general area. In my further defence, I have to add that some of the graves were so worn you couldn't read the inscriptions and some had no headstones at all. I felt sure that the Riley's would have been relatively well off in 1896 and that their headstone would have reflected this, but if it was I couldn't locate it .
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X