An experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Darn it! Well It should have struck you because it's a dam fine idea!

Ok. Well everyone keeps mentioning dictionary, so if you tried to look up Juwes you won't find it. The closest word to it is juvenile.

So therefore it reads:
    The juveniles are the men who will not be blamed for nothing.

Am I getting close?

Hi,

Well, I donīt follow good ideas. I go where the data takes me. But to be able to do that we need a scientific method.

And you have suggested the word juveniles. So comparing the words (or rather the combination of letters in "Juwes" with a word) what you have is:

Juwes
    Ju-venil-es

Here the w is replaced by five letters. A w is worth two letters at the most (v + v).

Is it plausible that the killer misspelled the word in that way or that it was misread in that way?

As we can see, the word juveniles is longer and more complex than "Juwes".

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
      ok
      however if we do not know how many letters are in the word the options are very large indeed.

if we for sake of argument look at 5 letter words we could have:

Johns
      Jakes
      or Jacks.

however i see no resaon to assume any such change of spelling is justified

regards
      Hi Steve,

I agree with you, the change of spelling of the vocal in the word stem (that we do not understand) is not justified. My reason for thinking this is that the change of it to j-e-ws did not do us any good. So more changes of that type would not be a good method.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
        David

I missed that one.

could be any i suggested or how about
        jupes

Several articles of clothing are called jupe:
        In modern English, jupe usually refers to a style of skirt.
        Jupe (jacket) or jupe panels also refers to a style of jacket.
        Jupe, in Central European hip hop fashion refers to baggy pants (trousers).

men in a certain style of clothing?
        Hi Steve,

Well, "jupes" seem fairly congruent with "juwes" since it is rather similar and I think you have looked in a dictionary so we are trying a new method here. You have also forgotten about the connection to "jews" so now you are practising the two quesitons I posed. This is one way of doing it.

But is it plausible that Jack the Ripper had any problem with some men dressing in a certain style?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Craig H View Post
          The other ones I get for "juwes" are:

Dues
          juice
          dukes
          jewels
          juries
          blues

Craig
          Hi Craig,

How do you "get" these? With what method?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            There t is "Juries" he'd previously been acquitted and if the Jury had convicted him he wouldn't still be out killing.
            Hi GUT,

"Juries" are not men are they? They are groups of men.

But your method here is the same as Steves when he found "jupes". The only difference is that you have removed the w (v+v) and put in two letters, "ri", whereas Steve removed it and used a "p", only one letter.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              Hi all
              Those are some good ideas. I especially like David's Jutes! LOL!

Pierre
              If none of our ideas are correct, please don't tell me your going the way of that old donston idea that Juwes is a misspelling, or a misreading (like you said in a recent post) of juives?
              Hi Abby,

I have no idea. It is not up to me to say what a "correct" spelling could be, since I know as little as you about it. But I can pose two questions and coordinate the discussion and then someone might find something interesting and give good arguments for the plausibility of a good hypothesis.

"Juives". Again, the w (v+v) has been replaced by two letters but since one is a v it is really replaced with only one letter.

The question is why Jack the Ripper would have a problem with the same old jews and write in French. So this one puts us back into the old box.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                Catherine Eddowes was killed next to an orange market. Joseph Barnett at the inquest claimed to be working as a fruit porter. So maybe it's "the juice" are not the men...

I think people are getting carried away here. Seems to be very reminiscent of the book "The Bible Code" which claimed that there were secret messages in the Bible. But then it was shown that if you looked hard enough you could find similar messages in "Moby Dick." I think the same principle is at work here. Put out enough possibilities and one of them is bound to make some sort of sense.

c.d.
                Hi C.D.,

I disagree. We have NO reason for thinking that the writing contain any secret message at all. But we hypothesize that it contained a plain simple message that was misunderstood. So now we are trying to find a method for understanding it.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                  I've just put Juwes into Google translate and it 'detected' it as being Afrikaans (pronounced yoovuss) but offered no translation. Juwe comes up as a Yoruba word meaning 'prescribe' ???????????
                  Hi Bridewell,

But what would happen if you used an English dictionary?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    Hello Bridewell,

Yes, agree with you that it does no harm. But even if we do find something that seems that it could be a real possibility, we still have no way of knowing if that is what the author meant. And unfortunately there is always the possibility that he was simply a piss poor speller.

c.d.
                    Hi C.D.,

But if he was a poor speller, why is the letter combination "Juwes" the only one misspelled in the text?

And isnīt there also the possibility that the surface which the message was written on was rough, and that someone was a poor reader and that the reading conditions were poor?

Regards, Pierre
                    Last edited by Pierre; 03-08-2016, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                      Judas! A five-letter proper name with a wealth of symbology behind it, as well as beginning with "Ju" and ending in "s".
                      Hi,

this method is allowing for a rather extensive change of letters, isnīt it?

First you remove w (v+v) and then you also remove e.

And the combination of letters in the transcription "juwes" is not in singular but in plural, since it refers to "the men". That is reliable and something we know. It is a fact.

Regards, Pierre
                      Last edited by Pierre; 03-08-2016, 02:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                        Hi Steve,

Well, "jupes" seem fairly congruent with "juwes" since it is rather similar and I think you have looked in a dictionary so we are trying a new method here. You have also forgotten about the connection to "jews" so now you are practising the two quesitons I posed. This is one way of doing it.

But is it plausible that Jack the Ripper had any problem with some men dressing in a certain style?

Regards, Pierre
                        Pierre

purely hypothetically:

Using "Jupes" maybe the writer is referring to a very specific type of clothing? a style of jacket or trousers could be a uniform perhaps?
                        but that is just off the top of my head.

Interesting debate certainly, but am not sure it actually moves us any further from the "Norm" on GSG in explaining it.
                        I see nothing so far to suggest this method of interpretation is giving anything more reliable than the tradition view; of course it could be we may yet get something by digging deeper.
                        However we then begin to fall into the trap of maybe accepting something as evidence when it is really not, but fits with a preconceived idea.

lets be honest we all have theories with regards to the murders, and no matter how hard we may try to dismiss bias, it is not always possible..

I certainly see no reason so far to move from my maybe entrenched position, that the GSG has nothing to do with the murders, but am still open to persuasion if compelling evidence, not just theory, is produced.

regards

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                          Pierre

purely hypothetically:

Using "Jupes" maybe the writer is referring to a very specific type of clothing? a style of jacket or trousers could be a uniform perhaps?
                          but that is just off the top of my head.

regards

Steve
                          Hi Steve,

But could jupes be "men"?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• reeves

your welcome.
                            "Is all that we see or seem
                            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                              Hi Steve,

But could jupes be "men"?

Regards, Pierre

Pierre

that does actually depend on other information,

To be "yes", "jupe" or "jupes" would need to have been a term used, maybe as slang for a style of clothing worn by a particular group of men, or just a term used for those men.
                              That is A nick name, such as Harrison apparently said was used for the city police, not trying to connect the two, that was just first example that came to mind, I could have said "gunners" for Arsenal football team.

if no such connection can be seen or found obviously "jupes" would not be

"men"

regards

Comment

• 'Jupe' is an item of clothing, usually of the upper body http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dic...y/english/jupe

It was unusual but current in 19th Century England usage.

It has nothing to do with 'Jewes' which is simply a spelling mistake, if it ever existed.

Comment

Working...
                                X