Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could solve any non-JTR mystery which would it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    Is love really "all" we need?
    Don't you know. What the world needs now is "Love...Sweet Love". It's the only thing that there's just too little of....

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      Blonde Dolly
      Any reason why this one is special to you? I've never heard of it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
        I tend to see the crowd as an obstacle to abduction. One scream, and the villain is undone.
        Not if the person gained her trust and lured her away. I wouldn't be surprised if she had been taken by a neighbour on her way back home.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
          Not if the person gained her trust and lured her away. I wouldn't be surprised if she had been taken by a neighbour on her way back home.
          The girl was painfully shy, though, especially around men. She was too shy to have a casual conversation with her best friend's father, even. She'd have been a difficult one to lure.

Whatever went wrong for her had to have started, at least, in that 2/3 of a block walk home down her own street, in sight of her own front yard, if not her house. I do know that the police talked to all of the neighbors, at least.
          - Ginger

Comment

One more that has always bothered me is the disappearance of little Melvin Horst, in 1928. http://charleyproject.org/case/melvin-charles-horst has a good summary of the case. He was playing a little distance away from his house with friends, when his mother called him for dinner. He got at least as far as the front yard, because the toy that he'd had with him was found in the yard (some sources say on the front step, even). His friends weren't looking that way, and saw nothing.

It sounds pretty much exactly like the handiwork of Albert Fish (toddler disappears in the blink of an eye), who was actively abducting and murdering children at the time, except that so far as I know Fish was nowhere near Ohio then (I'd love to be proven wrong).
            - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
              Any reason why this one is special to you? I've never heard of it before.
              Illicit sex-unsolved murder-possible high government corruption and/or espionage
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

The Julia Wallace case. The great Americsn crime writer, Raymond Chandler, called it "the impossible murder because Wallace couldn't have done it and neither could anyone else."

Jointly with that case, the Beaumont Children disappearance.

Next in line would be the Trenny Gibson disappearance.
                Last edited by John G; 03-28-2018, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Could we put Francis Coles on the list?
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Who killed the Borden’s?
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                      Who killed the Borden’s?
                      Herlock, are you unconvinced it was Lizzie?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                        I remember when it happened. Her father was Senator Charles Percy. About the time it happened (the late 1960s) Senator Percy was preparing to campaign for the Presidential nomination. This ended that plan.

Jeff.
                        Many hinted it could have been the stepmother who claimed she briefly saw the fleeing intruder who flashed a light in her eyes before discovering the body which was totally unsubstantiated by evidence.

One interesting aspect of this case was even though they had a dog, the dog did not bark at all during the crime. However, when the police came, the dog barked like mad. So, you can't blame them for focusing on an inside job theory.

Of course, the killer could have been an outsider, but someone who knew Valerie, the dog, the layout of the home etc. William Thoresen, a troubled local who was murdered by his wife in 1970 and purported to have killed many people, has been a prime suspect.

My intuition tells me it was an outsider, but I don't think the family can evade suspicion entirely. They seemed to not want to follow up on the case as well which raised some eyebrows.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
                          Herlock, are you unconvinced it was Lizzie?
                          I always felt that it must have been but I’ve only read 3 or 4 books on the case and it was quite a while ago. Wasn’t there one book claiming that the killer was a cousin?

Is there an equivalent of the Philip Sugden book about the Borden case? The ‘must have?’
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
                            Many hinted it could have been the stepmother who claimed she briefly saw the fleeing intruder who flashed a light in her eyes before discovering the body which was totally unsubstantiated by evidence.

One interesting aspect of this case was even though they had a dog, the dog did not bark at all during the crime. However, when the police came, the dog barked like mad. So, you can't blame them for focusing on an inside job theory.

Of course, the killer could have been an outsider, but someone who knew Valerie, the dog, the layout of the home etc. William Thoresen, a troubled local who was murdered by his wife in 1970 and purported to have killed many people, has been a prime suspect.

My intuition tells me it was an outsider, but I don't think the family can evade suspicion entirely. They seemed to not want to follow up on the case as well which raised some eyebrows.
                            It and the murder of the daughter of Chicago based television talk show host Irv Kupinet happened around that time, and since prominent Illinois people were involved I always link the two crimes together (not that I suspect one killer for both, but it just is a mental issue with me about linking them by state, general period, and that victims are both daughters of well-known figures).

Jeff

Comment

The "impossible" Wallace Case...

Done that. Solved. Check.

Who was "Shakespeare"?

Done that. Solved. Check.

Ask me another...

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                                I always felt that it must have been but I’ve only read 3 or 4 books on the case and it was quite a while ago. Wasn’t there one book claiming that the killer was a cousin?

Is there an equivalent of the Philip Sugden book about the Borden case? The ‘must have?’
                                I don't know what is the best non-fiction book on the Borden case, Herlock, but did put together a bibliography for you.

True crime stories are getting a lot of attention recently, and the mystery of the gruesome murders surrounding Lizzie Borden is seeing renewed interest.

Novel -- "See What I Have Done" by Sarah Schmidt
                                Novel -- "The Borden Dispatches" series by Cherie Priest, "Maplecroft" is newest
                                Novel -- "The Murderer's Maid: A Lizzie Borden Novel"by Erika Mailman
                                Novel -- " The Secrets of Lizzie Borden" by Brandy Purchase

Nonfiction -- "The Borden Murders: Lizzie Borden and the Trial of the Century" by Sarah Miller. (2017)

Nonfiction -- "The History and Haunting of Lizzie Borden" by Rebecca F. Pittman (2016)

Nonfiction -- " The Life and Trial of Lizzie Borden: The History of 19th Century America's Most Famous Murder Case" edited by Charles Rivers (2015)

Nonfiction -- "Lizzie Borden: The Legend, the Truth, the Final Chapter" by Arnold R. Brown (1991) -- one of the first modern books on this topic, I think.
                                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                                ---------------
                                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X