"Cat the Jew"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cat the Jew"

Here's a link to a long, rambling, speculative article about the murders in the Brisbane Courier of 18 February 1889:

One odd detail that caught my eye is in the section below, which couples "Old Leather Apron" and "Cat the Jew", as the subjects of tales of the London Press relating to the murders. This makes it sound as though "Cat the Jew" was another contemporary nickname for the killer, but if so I haven't been able to find any other reference to it. Does anyone know anything more?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BrisbaneCourier18February1889.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	670005

Thanks Chris

Australians hip to vampires in 1889?

Whatever next?
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

It was probably just another local nickname for the killer that was going around briefly and then died out. Whatever, the inference in the name is that they were blaming the Jews for it.....surprise, surprise.

Cat = scratch/rip, Jew = popular suspect with the masses = Cat the Jew? Maybe?

You can't trust these Australian papers though, Chris....

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
        It was probably just another local nickname for the killer that was going around briefly and then died out. Whatever, the inference in the name is that they were blaming the Jews for it.....surprise, surprise.

Cat = scratch/rip, Jew = popular suspect with the masses = Cat the Jew? Maybe?

You can't trust these Australian papers though, Chris....

Cheers,
        Adam.
        yes, we have a very long and proud history of tabloid media.

Search the same online database for Ned Kelly and you will see what I mean

Comment

Wolfie:

I've seen newspaper reports stating that Aboriginal trackers were being sent to London to help track down JTR. 'Nuff said!

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

Working...
          X