No announcement yet.

Very slow connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS, like you I'm a computer no-hoper. I use a lap-top. Connection-speed of this website resolved itself some time ago, and it's as quick as any other site I visit. My wife uses an I-Pad, and she's noticed a few differences between it and the lap-top when she's having a bit of a surf. Nothing really annoying, so she doesn't worry about it. If I fully understood what Ginger has posted, I'd say do what he says!!

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I've had slow running issues, and I use a desktop.
      Too many windows open at once can cause that, my wife is often running Youtube or on Facebook. Sometimes its just a bad connection through the server.
      Normally, I shut everything down and restart the computer. If that doesn't work, shut everything down and unplug everything, router, printer, desktop, monitor, etc. wait 3 to 5 minutes, reconnect everything and start it up.
      What I have noticed recently, I get slow periods that pass by themselves. I might find that 'wheel' in Windows keeps spinning like it can't connect. I go make a coffee, it often cures itself. I think that is just my provider - none of them are perfect.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

The program I have trouble with is the new Gmail. No matter what I do, it runs like a slug on valium. I had no problems with the old Gmail.
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post

An iPad (or any other device) may do wonky things trying to interact with (including loading) the site, but I'd put that rather low on the list of probabilities.

If it's only one or a few site that're slow, *and* it's only on the iPad (have you tried with the android phone?), I'd wonder if the DNS resolver cache has old information. The cache holds the information that the tablet needs to find things on the internet, and it can become outdated. Rebooting the tablet should flush the cache and fix that (and possibly make some other things work better too). In an ideal world, things would be more stable, but in the real world, rebooting often helps.

If it's only a few sites, but the phone and tablet are behaving identically, try hard rebooting (shut it completely down, and restart) your router. Some routers keep their own DNS resolver cache for the local network to use, and that may be stale.

If that doesn't help, then it's probably an actual routing issue. That's beyond your practical power to affect.
          Thanks for that Ginger. I rarely access the forum via my phone but I’ll follow your advice.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
            The program I have trouble with is the new Gmail. No matter what I do, it runs like a slug on valium. I had no problems with the old Gmail.
            I miss paper, envelope and stamp.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Ah, you youngsters! I miss parchment and wax seals.
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                Ah, you youngsters! I miss parchment and wax seals.

At least there was no annoying predictive text then.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

At least there was no annoying predictive text then.
                  My wife is always complaining, how do you get rid of those annoying red wavy lines?

I didn't say anything, but I handed her a dictionary.

After 20 minutes she asks me, so where does it tell you how to get rid of those red wavy lines?
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

My wife is always complaining, how do you get rid of those annoying red wavy lines?

I didn't say anything, but I handed her a dictionary.

After 20 minutes she asks me, so where does it tell you how to get rid of those red wavy lines?
                    Is it Windows 10? That has one of the worst-stocked dictionaries I've seen in ages. It's like something from the early 90s. I got a Win 10 laptop, and in the past week or so, I've had to manually add ribosome, oppressions, fantod, ammodytes (admittedly, not one you see every day), scruffed, armamentarium, and feedstock, that I can remember. It lives down to all my worst expectations of a consumer Windows release, with minimal effort being put into the fundamentals (such as a useable dictionary), and much effort being put into "magic", such as an enthusiastic and intrusive search assistant (Cortana) that requires effort and knowledge to kill. Microsoft is making a strong case for re-imaging this machine to some sort of Linux.
                    - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post

Is it Windows 10? That has one of the worst-stocked dictionaries I've seen in ages. It's like something from the early 90s. I got a Win 10 laptop, and in the past week or so, I've had to manually add ribosome, oppressions, fantod, ammodytes (admittedly, not one you see every day), scruffed, armamentarium, and feedstock, that I can remember. It lives down to all my worst expectations of a consumer Windows release, with minimal effort being put into the fundamentals (such as a useable dictionary), and much effort being put into "magic", such as an enthusiastic and intrusive search assistant (Cortana) that requires effort and knowledge to kill. Microsoft is making a strong case for re-imaging this machine to some sort of Linux.
                      I regularly slip the words ‘ribosome,’ ‘fantod’ and ‘ammodytes’ into casual conversation down the pub.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

If anyone else has this problem and you’ve always been on this website and have previously never had an issue with loading then try clearing the cookies in the browser settings.

Sometimes when a website updates
                        (as this one has recently) the cookies in the browser may try to load information for the older version of this forum which can cause a prolonged load time.

It may not work but it’s worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Yabs View Post
                          If anyone else has this problem and you’ve always been on this website and have previously never had an issue with loading then try clearing the cookies in the browser settings.

Sometimes when a website updates
                          (as this one has recently) the cookies in the browser may try to load information for the older version of this forum which can cause a prolonged load time.

It may not work but it’s worth a try.
                          I’ve heard it all now. Blaming biscuits for technical issues? Come on Yabs!
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I’ve heard it all now. Blaming biscuits for technical issues? Come on Yabs!
                            It’s absolutely true I tell thee!

If a simple Bourbon or even a single Chocolate Florentine find their way into the suspects thread....

well, it can be very nasty that can.

Comment

Originally posted by Yabs View Post

It’s absolutely true I tell thee!

If a simple Bourbon or even a single Chocolate Florentine find their way into the suspects thread....

well, it can be very nasty that can.
                              I bow to your superior technical knowledge Yabs. Then again there are tribes at the heart of the Amazon Rain Forest who have a better grasp of computer technology than I do.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X