No announcement yet.

Hyam Hyams: Portrait of a Suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if this will help, it's not a great copy but the best I've got. This is from January 1887.

Number 1 was on the corner with Middlesex Street and Janes Building almost opposite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hutchinson Street January 1887 h.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	661041

Rob

Comment

Hey, and I was just about to post “Where's Rob Clack when a thread needs him?“!
      (This is another spot in Whitechapel I wanted to visit during the conference weekend on September 25/26, but stupidly didn't. I specifically wanted to calculate the walking distance from Middlesex Street to Mitre Square – pertaining to Jacob Levy, obviously.)
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

Thanks Rob, so it's clear that 1 and 1a were entirely separate.

Comment

Many thanks to Rob for the Goad Plan. It does look as though the enumerator probably worked his way around clockwise, but is that the basis on which people are saying the address was in Jane's Buildings, or have I missed something?

Comment

Chris, this is from the 1891, showing 2a. 1a is at the foot of the previous page.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Chris, this is from the 1891, showing 2a. 1a is at the foot of the previous page.
              Brilliant.

Comment

The Ripper Notes #27 article by Vanderlinden contains nothing new in the way of actual research into Hyam Hyams. The piece was cobbled from an article by Mark King in the Ripperologist and a follow-up article my me in the same magazine a couple of year later (based on updated census info). The main driver for the RN article was the discovery of a photo of Hyams by (I believe) Stewart Evans.

Certainly the name Hyam Hyams was unusual for the time. But it becomes increasingly apparent as research goes on that the lunatic Hyams could be isolated from several other men who shared the same name.

Nevertheless, as I elaborated in my Rip article from King's earlier suggestion, Joseph Levy's wife Amelia (nee Lyons) may have shared some affinity with the Hyams family living on Mitre Street in the 1870s-1880s. I think his (the lunatic Colney Hatch inmate) wife's name was Rachel. The family (minus Hyam, who was incarcerated) lived in Gravel Lane at the time of the 1891 census.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                  The Ripper Notes #27 article by Vanderlinden contains nothing new in the way of actual research into Hyam Hyams.
                  I should have made it clear I was using the article more as an easy means of reference than anything else - and I may well have missed some evidence that's in your and/or Mark King's articles.

On the whole it seemed likeliest to me that the suspect's wife was named as Rachel in 1891 and Sarah afterwards. The odd thing is that there's no marriage. As you've probably already seen, there is a likely birth registration for Katie Hyams in Whitechapel in the first quarter of 1888 (and a possible one for the son, as Jacob, in the City in the fourth quarter of 1885). The mother's maiden name might give another angle on looking for the marriage. Perhaps they didn't actually marry, but I wonder how common that would have been in the London Jewish community at the time.

Comment

Hi Chris

Great research - I have info on Hyam upto 1881 at hand, I am not sure what has happened to the rest, but I do remember having the same confusion as yourself with Sarah and Rachel...I will try to find the rest.

In 1851 living at 29 Mitre Street

Ann Levy Head Wid 60 Fruiterer London St James
                    Solomon Hyams son-in-law M 29 Cigar maker London St James
                    Fanny Hyams Dau M 27
                    Morris Hyams Grandson 2 London St James
                    Julia Donovan Serv 20 Gen Serv Ireland
                    Nathan Levy Lodger W 55 Tailor M/sex Whitechapel

In 1861 living at 29 Mitre Street

Ann Levy occupier Wid 70 Orange dealer m/sex St James
                    Solomon Hyams Head M 39 Orange dealer m/sex St James
                    Fanny Solomons Wife M 38 m/sex St James
                    Jane Hyams Dau 9 Scholar m/sex St James
                    Barney Hyams Son 7 Scholar m/sex St James
                    Hyam Hyams Son 6 Scholar m/sex St James
                    George Hyams Son 1 m/sex St James
                    Catherine Hyams Dau 8mts m/sex St James
                    Jane Levy I believe it states granddaughter of occupier 18years old
                    Ann Harris Serv 17 General Servant m/sex Aldgate

In 1871 living at 29 Mitre Street

Solomon Hyams Head M 50 Cigar maker (states was born in Bermondsy but this is for the servant above)
                    Fanny Hyams Wife M 45
                    Morris Hyams Son 22 Waiter London
                    Jane Hyams Dau 18 London
                    Barnett Hyam Son 17 Cigar maker London
                    Hyam Hyams Son 15 cigar maker London
                    George Hyams Son 12 Scholar London
                    Adelaide Hyams Dau 9 Scholar London
                    Clara Hyams Dau 3 London
                    Mary Custer Serv 16 General Serv London

In 1881 we have living at 29 Mitre Street

Fanny Hyams Head wid 60 London
                    Morris Hyams Son 35 Barman? London
                    Hymey Hyams Son 28 Fruiterer London
                    Barney Hyams Son 27 Carman London
                    George Hyams Son 25 Cigar maker London
                    Clara Hyams Dau 14 Scholar London
                    Jane Abrahams Dau M 30 London
                    John Abrahams Son-in-law 32 Fruiterer London
                    Hannah Abrahams Dau (think should be g/daug) 3mths London
                    Hannah Hego Serv 40 Gen Serv Birmingham

In 1891 they are living with John Abrahams and family with the exception of Morris and Hyam at 24 Mitre Street.

I do believe there was a Hyman Hyams living in 3 Cooks Buildings in 1871, not sure if this helps.

Tj
                    It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Scott Nelson wrote:
                      The Ripper Notes #27 article by Vanderlinden contains nothing new in the way of actual research into Hyam Hyams. The piece was cobbled from an article by Mark King in the Ripperologist and a follow-up article by me in the same magazine a couple of year later (based on updated census info). The main driver for the RN article was the discovery of a photo of Hyams by (I believe) Stewart Evans.

Wow! Good to know. (There's some current similar controversy pertaining to the Scotland Yard's hunt for Tumblety after the concluding piece by Palmer in Examiner 4.)

To Chris:
                      There's a very interesting thread on Jacob Levy in the JTR Forums, which also discusses the common law husbands/wives situation among the Jewish population in Victorian Whitechapel, including statistics. Interestingly enough, there's even a link established between the Levys and the Kozminskis.
                      Best regards,
                      Maria

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                        Interestingly enough, there's even a link established between the Levys and the Kozminskis.
                        I'd be very interested to have a look at that if you can perhaps post a link (or details of the thread title and page number).

Comment

Chris,
                          the link to the Jacob Levy thread on the JTR Forums is http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=10323.
                          By the way, thank you SO very much, www.oldbaileyonline.org works! www.theoldbailey.com is something else altogether. Now I have to PM Debra about this, as she was scratching her head to blood about why I couldn't access the site...
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

Hi

the link to the Jacob Levy thread on the jtr forums

Great thread that, if I do say so - the author is quite spectacular as well

tj

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                              the link to the Jacob Levy thread on the JTR Forums is http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=10323.
                              Thanks, but it was the link between the Levys and the Kozminskis that I was interested in. I've just had a look through that thread and can't see it. Maybe I'm missing something?

Comment

Hi Chris

I am not sure there is a link between Kozminski and Levy apart from the basics, local, Jewish, lowerclass and both ended up in an asylum.

Tj

Comment

Working...
                                X