Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

Interesting news indeed! Thank you,GUT.
    What do people think of the animated portrait of the mystery man's face? The creator did a very nice job with subtle facial expressions.
    I remember reading this thread years ago and being intrigued by the hints of espionage that the story seemed to have.
    I hope our Australian friends will keep us updated on the results of the exhumation.
    I’ll certainly post anything I hear about. The main aim seems to be to identify him, and/or prove he was in a relationship with Ms Thomson.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Today they dig him up.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        thanks gut. hopefully they can find out who he was. im going with a british spy who was also jessicas former lover, and father of her oldest boy.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Remains seem to be in pretty good condition

G U T

Comment

I've never really understood this 'removing labels from clothing' thing as indicating that the person is a spy. Wouldn't this be a dead giveaway? Wouldn't the KGB, CIA and MI5/6 be able to get hold of appropriate stuff through their embassies?

Comment

Originally posted by Dupplin Muir View Post
              I've never really understood this 'removing labels from clothing' thing as indicating that the person is a spy. Wouldn't this be a dead giveaway? Wouldn't the KGB, CIA and MI5/6 be able to get hold of appropriate stuff through their embassies?
              From what I have read, back in the day (WWII) removing clothing labels was part of the being aware that the smallest detail could give someone away, perhaps with fatal consequences. Cigarettes, gum, the make of your coat or shoes-- they were all important.

As far as being rigged up right to begin with, I don't know how easy that was in wartime, with less sophisticated communication and transportation methods.
              If someone ended up in "enemy territory" suddenly, they might well need to cut out their clothing labels as a protective measure.

Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Working...
              X