Charles Peace at Hull Fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Peace at Hull Fair

I was working my way through a collection of old pictures from between 1900 and 1910 when I found these two pictures of some of the stalls at Hull Fair.
    The fair is the largest travelling fair in Europe and visits Hull once a year, staying for two weeks.

Charles Peace was a regular in Hull, pften stopping at the White Lion public house, which was sadly destroyed during enemy action in WW2. On one such occasion he had settled down when the local police knocked on the door, he jumped from the window and left one of his violins behind.
    Regards Mike

Here is the first picture, showing Enoch Farrar's Bioscope. The picture is said to date from 1908.
    Attached Files
    Regards Mike

Comment

The next image is from 1909 and again shows Enoch Farrar's Bioscope. The picture was taken to celebrate the magnificent Gavioli Organ which, at that time, was the largest organ to be imported into Britain!
      Attached Files
      Regards Mike

Comment

Mike-The Life of Charles Peace was made in 1905 if that is the same film.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

It sounds like the one.

It was a family affair directed by William Hagger and starring,
          Henry Haggar as First policeman
          James Haggar as Dyson
          Lily Haggar as Peace's accomplice
          Sarah Haggar as Peace's mother
          Violet Haggar as Mrs. Dyson
          Walter Haggar as Charles Peace

It was 11 minutes long, which was considered long back in 1905 and had just 10 scenes. Filmed in B/W and Silent!
          Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
          X