• Show
Clear All

• Rivals of the Ripper: Unsolved Murders of Women in Late Victorian London

Has anyone read this book yet?

What are your views, worth reading?

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post

Has anyone read this book yet?

What are your views, worth reading?
    I refer you to my reply in the thread where you enquired about Jan Bondeson's book on Murder Houses of London. As I note in that thread, at Ripperologist magazine, we regularly publish articles extracted from Dr. Bondeson's books. To read my response to your enquiry, go to --

Good luck and happy reading, Station Cat!

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 05-02-2016, 09:50 AM.
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Yes, I've read it, and thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of detail about the various murders. Fascinating stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
        Yes, I've read it, and thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of detail about the various murders. Fascinating stuff!
        Many thanks, Rosella.

Comment

Rosella, am still toying with this one. Does it cover "new" material or is it just a rehash of the Torso muders, Alice Mckenzie, Francis Coles, etc,etc?

Comment

It isn't really a Ripper focused book. It goes into the unsolved, sometimes extremely brutal murders of women in the London area from the 1860's to the 1890's including the Ripper period. The majority are not well-known cases.

The victims are all sorts of women, not just prostitutes, (though they are covered), but also married women, widows, women who are milliners, keep small shops, have been maids. The one thing they have in common is that they have met violent deaths, and those who murdered them got away with it. Like Jack.

Sometimes a man or men and a woman stood trial but were acquitted for various reasons.Because I love the Victorian era and its mysteries I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Comment

It isn't really a Ripper focused book. It goes into the unsolved, sometimes extremely brutal murders of women in the London area from the 1860's to the 1890's including the Ripper period. The majority are not well-known cases.

The victims are all sorts of women, not just prostitutes, (though they are covered), but also married women, widows, women who are milliners, keep small shops, have been maids. The one thing they have in common is that they have met violent deaths, and those who murdered them got away with it. Like Jack.

Sometimes a man or men and a woman stood trial but were acquitted for various reasons.Because I love the Victorian era and its mysteries I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Many thanks Rosella.

Comment

Have read this one, to be honest I was a bit disappointed. I wouldn't describe any of the cases as rivaling the ripper, it's more of a case of the suspects getting off with it, than anything else.

Comment

Wasn't impressed. Maybe the title led me to expect more.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

This book sounds interesting because of the theory that the torso killer may have been locked up between the 1870's torso and his re-emergence in the 1880's. Are there any murders in the book that show a possible connection to any of the torso murders?

Comment

Working...
                    X