Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by RedBundy13 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by DJA 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by harry 8 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by packers stem 9 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 9 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Joseph Isaacs - by rjpalmer 9 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (21 posts)
Non-Fiction: The Mysterious Fred - (14 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Joseph Isaacs - (4 posts)
Casebook Announcements: Katherine Bradshaw Amin (1980-2018) - (1 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 01-26-2017, 04:07 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi Henry
Re the dogs. One thing I noticed wasn't mentioned about the dog alerts is that the areas they alerted to, including the car boot, samples were taken and DNA tested and her DNA was matched, although not decively.

So even there are possible concerns about the dogs and DNA, they corroborate each other. To me adding it together, it seems more than likely the dogs and DNA were accurate.
Dog sniffs are not evidence though. They are a statistical hit and miss. Hence why forensics goes in after them to retrieve something... or not. In this case there was nothing. So it's a miss. Pretty sure dog sniffs are not admissible in most court rooms without corresponding forensics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-shambles.html

Same dog got it wrong elsewhere.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:27 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Nothing was staged. Why not? If they are going with a break in why not stage it? It's obvious they were hiding something... namely they left the patio door unlocked while away from their kids.

Not quite so. Jerry was actively answering questions while Kate was under caution. All the answers to her questions are available.

There is a history of intruders going into rooms though. A burglar hoped out the apartment above's window for example. The lack of evidence is also lack of staging.

She screamed all the way back. What was she to do? Sit there and say nothing?

If they leave to go out, then they are abandoning the twins. If they stay, then they are not searching for Maddie.

Why wasn't anything staged? is the question I have.
HI Batman

Quote:
Nothing was staged. Why not? If they are going with a break in why not stage it?
as I said before the open/broken window is really all the staging they needed.

Quote:
It's obvious they were hiding something... namely they left the patio door unlocked while away from their kids.
I agree. which is why they probably said at first that they were returning/entering the apartment to check through the locked front door. they didn't want to admit they left the kids alone in an unlocked apartment. when they realized that story wouldn't work, probably because one of the other parents had gone through the unlocked patio door, they changed their story back to the truth on this one.

Quote:
Not quite so. Jerry was actively answering questions while Kate was under caution. All the answers to her questions are available.
correct. but they both still lawyered up, and why would he talk during the police interview and she wouldn't? maybe because she was the main perpetrator? either way, if your child is missing, and the police are trying to find, why would you refuse to answer any questions? because your guilty of wrongdoing that's why.

Quote:
There is a history of intruders going into rooms though. A burglar hoped out the apartment above's window for example
so what? as I mentioned theres always stories of other suspicious people and goings ons whenever these types of cases come up.

Quote:
She screamed all the way back. What was she to do? Sit there and say nothing?

If they leave to go out, then they are abandoning the twins. If they stay, then they are not searching for Maddie.
Any innocent parents first reaction would be to protect the twin babies-scoop them up and get the hell out of there. or stay in the apartment and call for help.
Not run back out leaving her babies alone again in immanent danger.
Cmon.

Quote:
Why wasn't anything staged? is the question I have
many people think the open window was staged, as do I.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:31 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
I see what you're saying Abby the only problem I have is that the McCann's are idiots. Still on the other hand so was Fred West and he got away with all sorts for years.

Cheers John
well theyre dumb enough to be responsible for their childs death or abduction so I'm with you there. but they were doctors so they must have a modicum of intelligence.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 01-26-2017, 06:36 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Dog sniffs are not evidence though. They are a statistical hit and miss. Hence why forensics goes in after them to retrieve something... or not. In this case there was nothing. So it's a miss. Pretty sure dog sniffs are not admissible in most court rooms without corresponding forensics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-shambles.html

Same dog got it wrong elsewhere.
no I agree. the dog evidence is questionable. but look-theyre were two dogs, one blood one cadaver-they both alerted. And the main thing here is that there was also positive DNA to the places they alerted.

to me the chances are that they corroborate each other to some extant.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 01-26-2017, 06:40 AM
Inspector

They didn't answer the questions formally because they layered up after they were told that Gonšalo Amaral figured they were involved. If you read anything about his book it becomes clear he wasn't in the business of helping them find an intruder and just based on his book alone, he is getting a lot wrong. Like the Tapas sighting, since confirmed by Operation Grange. They found the creche parent carrying the child. So the people he says concocted this story, didn't. It was real.

However they did answer all these questions in the media.

I don't buy the argument that there will always be suspicious people anywhere. This place had a lot of problems. It wasn't safe. Crime was rampant. People had gone into bedrooms, stalking in bushes, calling for fundraisers, some of these, never identified.

The McCann's apartment could be seen from their dining table at the Tapas Bar. The McCann's apartment was 77 meters away. That's not a long distance to raise help quickly. 9 people at that bar. 9 helpers instantly.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:41 AM
Inspector

Quote:
And the main thing here is that there was also positive DNA to the places they alerted.
But why wouldn't you expect the families DNA to be there?
Old 01-26-2017, 06:46 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
But why wouldn't you expect the families DNA to be there?
well the DNA corroboarated the dog alert to the boot of the car. one they rented after she went "missing".

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 01-26-2017, 07:03 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
They didn't answer the questions formally because they layered up after they were told that Gonšalo Amaral figured they were involved. If you read anything about his book it becomes clear he wasn't in the business of helping them find an intruder and just based on his book alone, he is getting a lot wrong. Like the Tapas sighting, since confirmed by Operation Grange. They found the creche parent carrying the child. So the people he says concocted this story, didn't. It was real.

I don't buy the argument that there will always be suspicious people anywhere. This place had a lot of problems. It wasn't safe. Crime was rampant. People had gone into bedrooms, stalking in bushes, calling for fundraisers, some of these, never identified.

The McCann's apartment could be seen from their dining table at the Tapas Bar. The McCann's apartment was 77 meters away. That's not a long distance to raise help quickly. 9 people at that bar. 9 helpers instantly.
Hi

Quote:
what a load of crap (not you-the mccanns)! anyone knows family members and or last one to see or be alone with a victim is going to be a de facto suspect by the police. and even if they are formally suspects, and or continue to be suspects, that's the last thing on your mind-you don't care if your a suspect. you didn't do it, your child is missing, you cooperate as much as you can with the police-to clear yourself and then help them HELP YOU find your child.
parents of missing children BEAT DOWN THE FREAKEN doors of the police to find out and help them find their child.
lawyering up, refusing to cooperate, not answering there questions-classic guilty behavior.
Innocent people don't do these things-guilty people do.

Quote:
you do realize that this is what guilty people do-overwhelmingly-refuse to cooperate fully with police- but give media interviews. it a ploy to get there "story"out, public relations, garner public sympathy.

Quote:
OK well just have to disagree on this one. but its a red herring. these types of stories ALWAYS come up.

Quote:
The McCann's apartment could be seen from their dining table at the Tapas Bar. The McCann's apartment was 77 meters away. That's not a long distance to raise help quickly. 9 people at that bar. 9 helpers instantly.[/
Nope. this actually the final straw for me in theyre being guilty. I don't care if its the next apartment. no innocent parent would leave the twins their after discovering another child abducted. sorry your wrong on this one.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 01-26-2017, 07:33 AM
Inspector

Quote:
well the DNA corroboarated the dog alert to the boot of the car. one they rented after she went "missing".
I would expect it there from contamination.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:39 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Hi

what a load of crap (not you-the mccanns)! anyone knows family members and or last one to see or be alone with a victim is going to be a de facto suspect by the police.
They had legal advisers telling them that if they talked and incriminated themselves the police could arrest them there and then and they would no longer be able to help maddie. They were told the investigators were not there to help them.

They got the right legal advice. They took the right legal advice. The evidence for this in the book put out by the detective investigating them. His whole book is almost entirely devoted to McCann guilt, based on evidence that has since been refuted by Operation Grange.

Also you are claiming she left them alone to be taken again. Yet how do you know she didn't close/lock the doors behind her for example?

The idea this was staged is exactly what is wrong with it when looking at the evidence. There is no evidence of staging, despite the criticism being that it was staged. They didn't make it look like a break in. Nothing. No window jimmied. No Tapas9 member going inside and saying... my gosh, someone has been in here. It isn't staged and that's the most confounding factor in the idea they staged her vanishing.