Lechmere Continuation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
    I think Scobie weighed in a large number of matters, like the name change, the pulled down clothing, how Paul did not say he had heard or seen Lechmere on his route, like the time Lechmere said he left home, like how he reused to help prop Nichols up etcetera.
    That, I beleive, is why Scobie said the coincidences mounted up - there were very many of them.
    He also specifically spoke of how he disliked the talk about coincidences that was prevalent in many cases; they will not be around in large numbers, was a point he pressed, although it did not make it into the doocumentary. I have seen the snippet, though, and I thoroughly agree. The case against Lechmere is n ot one where any of the points made against him will on it´s own bring him down. It is and remains the combined weight, the mounting up of coincidences, that points a finger at the man who in all probability killed Poly Nichols and the rest of the ripped 1888 victims.
    To my mind, there can be no trustworthy doubt that the Ripper was also the Torso killer, and therefore Lechmere must be the prime suspect for that series too, at least in my book.
    Hi Fisherman,

Although I disagree with you as to the weight of evidence against Cross and, as I'm sure you know, whether JtR was also the Torso perpetrator! I would be very interested in any book you might write on the subject, as you clearly have a wealth of knowledge on this subject. Is this something you've considered?
    Last edited by John G; 07-28-2016, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
      It is quite apparent that posters arguing against me do not know the difference between evidence and information.They do not know the law.Fisherman has admitted it.They are accusing Cross on se veral accounts,none of which is supported by evidence.That he was a vicious serial killer,that he lied under oath. That he is suspect,but suspect of what? The best rebuttal to their claims of course,is not myself ,but the investigating officers of that time,several who are recorded as reporting there were no suspects,and no evidence pointing to the ripper murderer.If arrogance will allow them that.
      Harry, I can only assume this post is not addressed at me in any way because you refer to people who are "accusing Cross".

If you do happen to have me in mind then it confirms what I have suspected all along that you haven't understood what I have been saying, that you are unable to grasp the distinction between suspicion and accusation and, further, that you have been railing the entire time against an argument I have never made.

Comment

IThe case against Lechmere is n ot one where any of the points made against him will on it´s own bring him down. It is and remains the combined weight, the mounting up of coincidences, that points a finger at the man who in all probability killed Poly Nichols and the rest of the ripped 1888 victims.
        Surely the winner of Ripperology's overstatement of the century.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
          Hi Fisherman,

Although I disagree with you as to the weight of evidence against Cross and, as I'm sure you know, whether JtR was also the Torso perpetrator! I would be very interested in any book you might write on the subject, as you clearly have a wealth of knowledge on this subject. Is this something you've considered?
          It is under consideration at times. On other occasions I am less enthusiastic about the prospect. I think the best thing that could happen would be if Debra Arif took on the task.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
            Surely the winner of Ripperology's overstatement of the century.
            Who´s in the jury...?

Comment

Who´s in the jury...?
              Any randomly selected twelve men and women.

Comment

It is under consideration at times. On other occasions I am less enthusiastic about the prospect. I think the best thing that could happen would be if Debra Arif took on the task.
                Debra's certainly a great researcher. Maybe Debra and yourself should write a book together!

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                  Any randomly selected twelve men and women.
                  Then I am pretty certain that you have the wrong end of the stick.
                  And even more certain that none of us will be able to prove our respective stances.
                  A moot discussion, thus.
                  Last edited by Fisherman; 07-28-2016, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                    Debra's certainly a great researcher. Maybe Debra and yourself should write a book together!
                    Hi johnG
                    I've been asking Debra for a while to write a book on the torsos and or ripper as the same man.

She says perhaps.

If she does I'll be the first to buy!
                    "Is all that we see or seem
                    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      Hi johnG
                      I've been asking Debra for a while to write a book on the torsos and or ripper as the same man.

She says perhaps.

Hi Abby,

Well, I'm not sure that Debra is convinced that Torso and JtR were the same man- unless there are some posts I've missed, which is definitely a possibility! However, her posts are always objective and well argued, so I would definitely purchase any book where she expresses her views on the subject. Or, for that matter, any Torso or JtR book by Debra!

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        Hi johnG

She says perhaps.

No, you won´t.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Fisherman;389187]

Then again, James Scobie DOES practice law, so let´s look at what HE says about Lechmere:

He is somebody who seems to be acting in a way, behaving in a way, that is suspicious.
                          But since Scobie is not an historian he has not any chance to know what he is talking about, i.e. what you have presented to him.

The "seems to be acting...behaving...suspicious" are your constructions from unreliable newspaper articles. Did Scobie even know that the original sources are lost?

Comment

• >>I would much rather prolong the VERY interesting discussion you inititated about how Mizen could have been told by the carmen that they found the body and STILL entertain an idea that Neil could have found it before them. Could you elaborate on that ingenious suggestion?<<

I’d be more than happy to oblige, if I’d have written such a thing.
                            But as always, it’s just something you’ve made up.

Feel free to quote me, the post where I "initiated" a story of how Xmere and Paul told Mizen they were the first to find Mrs. Nichols, but Mizen refused to believe them.
                            dustymiller
                            aka drstrange

Comment

• Ah! my posts keep disappearing as I type them;-(
                              I'll try again tomorrow,
                              dustymiller
                              aka drstrange

Comment

• If you haven't accused Cross David,then obviously nothing was directed at you.

What is odd or suspicious Fisherman,about the behaviour of Cross?. He found a body,he sought help from a passing carman,he accompanied that person in seeking a policeman,he appeared at an inquest and gave his story.Very responsible behaviour in my opinion,devoid of anything suspicious or odd.It seems the authorities of that time were of that opinion also.

Comment

Working...
                                X