Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6d. Did Liz spend it, or die for it?

Hello I am new to the Casebook Forum.
    I am wondering what the cost of a corsage would have been in London's lower East End in 1888? And, were such items sold in the lower East End at that time? The manifest of items found on Liz's body at the time of her death do not mention the 6d. that she had earned earlier that afternoon. There also does not seem to be any evidence that she spent it, as it seems that she was with a man most of the evening, according to witnesses that claim to have seen her throughout that evening. Which leads me to believe that she would not have any reason to spend her money on alcohol or other items such as a corsage or food.
    So, what happened to the 6.?

Sluggo.

Most canonical 5 victims were found without money on their person. It's theorized that the killer may have robbed them before or after the murder.

Comment

I am of the theory that Liz was not a Ripper victom. I believe that her murder was a robbery homicide.

Sluggo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggo View Post
        Hello I am new to the Casebook Forum.
        I am wondering what the cost of a corsage would have been in London's lower East End in 1888? And, were such items sold in the lower East End at that time? The manifest of items found on Liz's body at the time of her death do not mention the 6d. that she had earned earlier that afternoon. There also does not seem to be any evidence that she spent it, as it seems that she was with a man most of the evening, according to witnesses that claim to have seen her throughout that evening. Which leads me to believe that she would not have any reason to spend her money on alcohol or other items such as a corsage or food.
        So, what happened to the 6.?

Sluggo.
        I wonder when she got the large piece of green velvet. Perhaps with the money she had earned that day?

Comment

money

Hello Sluggo. Welcome to the boards.

Probably no alcohol as none showed up in the post mortem.

Any particular reason she could not have spent it on the flower and cachous? Could she have bought them BEFORE going out?

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Sluggo. Welcome to the boards.

Probably no alcohol as none showed up in the post mortem.

Any particular reason she could not have spent it on the flower and cachous? Could she have bought them BEFORE going out?

Cheers.
            LC
            Hi, Lynn,
            I can see her buying the cachous for herself, but the flower . . . would she have purchased it for herself or was it more likely to have been a gift from a man?

I've never purchased a flower for myself to wear, but have purchased plenty of mints.

And Sluggo, I second Lynn's welcome. Hope you enjoy your time here.

curious

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post

And Sluggo, I second Lynn's welcome. Hope you enjoy your time here.
              Yes Sluggo, welcome.

It could be enjoyable, or it could be memorable
              And if you are gifted with patience and tolerance, it could be both!

What happened to the 6d?, hard to say. Its not etiquette for a man to let the woman pay for anything if she was on a date, so if she spent it herself it was while she was on her own.

On the other hand one of her handkerchiefs showed fruit stains so she may have bought some fruit for herself, or this was the evidence of her eating grapes - but most people on here are too scared to consider the possibility

Of course, if the killer took her money, that means he rifled through her pockets after slicing her throat, which then argues against an interrupted Ripper murder.
              If he had the time to go through her pockets then he was not interrupted, and if that is the case, it was not a Ripper murder.

Regards, Jon S.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

flower

Hello Velma. Thanks.

"I can see her buying the cachous for herself, but the flower . . . would she have purchased it for herself or was it more likely to have been a gift from a man?"

Well, one reason the local police thought she was soliciting had to do with her "get up"--presumably, her flower. So, if that is correct, she bought it.

What kind of bloke would spend money on a flower for a 4d outlay?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Hello Velma. Thanks.

"I can see her buying the cachous for herself, but the flower . . . would she have purchased it for herself or was it more likely to have been a gift from a man?"

Well, one reason the local police thought she was soliciting had to do with her "get up"--presumably, her flower. So, if that is correct, she bought it.

What kind of bloke would spend money on a flower for a 4d outlay?

Cheers.
                  LC
                  Hi, Lynn,
                  No bloke would spend money on a 4d hooker.

However, gifts of flowers are common on dates. You, of course, are very aware of the "was she or wasn't she soliciting that night" controversy, and we all know there was no reason at all for her to have been soliciting.

I would personally guess the flower was a gift, and she did not spend her money on the flower. Now, perhaps on the green velvet.

And the local police thought they were all soliciting despite the fact that for some, that was not their normal activity . . . .

Velma

Comment

We all know there was no reason at all for Elizabeth Stride to be soliciting?

Her contemporaries were all wrong about her and we know better?
                    Best Wishes,
                    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

conditional proposition

Hello Velma. Thanks.

Let's meet halfway. IF the flowers were a gift, THEN it may have been more involved than a 4d quick one.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

soliciting

Hello Cris. I take it that Velma means she had her doss money from working.

Tom Wescott found an interview of one of Liz's friends who suspected solicitation. But, given the testimonies at inquest, there seems no confirmation.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                          We all know there was no reason at all for Elizabeth Stride to be soliciting?

Her contemporaries were all wrong about her and we know better?
                          Hi, Hunter,
                          On that day, Stride had been paid enough money to more than cover her bed for the night.

Of course, if we accept that her main work was prostitution (and I'm not sure how many do), then it could have been a regular work day.

On the other hand, if she worked at charring to keep a roof over her head and resorted to prostitution only when necessary (as some seem to think), then it was not necessary for her on the particular night that she died.

I'm not sure what she was doing out, but I'm not convinced she was soliciting.

curious

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggo View Post
                            I am of the theory that Liz was not a Ripper victom. I believe that her murder was a robbery homicide.

Sluggo.
                            If multiple killers came up with the idea of slitting throats, multiple killers may have come up with the idea of robbing a corpse.

Comment

Hello Damaso. Not sure those are ideas we come up with. Both have a venerable history.

If robbery was a motive in any of the canonical killings, we can add a characteristic to the killer's profile--not the brightest button on the coat.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X