Correspondence from the 1980s concerning the 'marginalia'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correspondence from the 1980s concerning the 'marginalia'

The Swanson family recently came across Jim Swanson's correspondence from the 1980s concerning the 'marginalia', and kindly made it available to Keith Skinner. Keith suggested it might be useful if I posted a summary of the salient information here. This post summarises the chronology. Below I'll post some extracts from the letters, in which Jim Swanson wrote about his grandfather, described the material and explained his reasons for offering it for publication.

The Swanson family also came across some more of Donald Sutherland Swanson's police notebooks and these too were sent to Keith. Another notebook had been loaned to the Crime Museum in July 2006. It has now been agreed that all of these notebooks should be loaned to the Metropolitan Police Historical Collection where they will be more accessible to researchers, and Keith will be arranging this transfer.

Donald Sutherland Swanson's last surviving child, Alice Julia, died on 14 November 1980, at the age of 91. Her nephew, James Douglas Swanson (JDS) (the son of DSS's eldest son, Donald Nevill), was her executor. As such, he came into possession of DSS's books and personal papers.

On 26 March 1981, JDS wrote to the editor of the News of The World, noting that the impending trial of the so-called Yorkshire Ripper (Peter Sutcliffe, who had been charged in January and was due to be tried in May) was bound to stimulate interest in the Jack the Ripper case. He explained that his grandfather, who had been a Superintendent in the Metropolitan CID, had an intimate knowledge of the case, and described printed and written information in his possession, naming a suspect, explaining why he was not brought to justice and stating what happened to him, which he was offering for sale. Evidently he wrote a similar letter to the Sunday Express at or around the same time.

According to later correspondence, Charles Sandell, the News of the World's Chief Crime Reporter, responded to the letter and was sent to examine and assess the material. JDS initially asked for £1000, but Sandell persuaded him to accept £750 for exclusive rights to the information, and this offer was confirmed in writing on 16 April 1981 by Robert Warren, the News Editor. On 20 April 1981, JDS wrote to Charles Sandell, saying that he had discussed the matter with his brothers and sisters, who felt that the information was worth more, and suggested modifying the agreement to provide for a further payment of £250 if there were sufficient interest in the revelations to merit a further article. Warren wrote on 22 April 1981 agreeing to this suggestion, and the offer was accepted on 23 April 1981. The payment of £750 was made on 14 May 1981, and according to later correspondence the money was split five ways between JDS and his brothers and sisters.

In the meantime James Kinlay, the Deputy Editor (Features) of the Sunday Express had also written on 9 April to express interest, but on 23 April he was told that the story had been sold.

According to later correspondence, it was planned that Charles Sandell should write an article on the 'marginalia' whose publication was to coincide with the trial of the Yorkshire Ripper. In fact, nothing was ever published by the News of the World. It appears that JDS tried to revive Charles Sandell's interest in the subject the following year, as Sandell wrote on 29 April 1982 to return a 'booklet' he had been lent. He mentioned that he had been out of action for three months due to a heart attack, and that he hoped to resume work soon, but there was no mention of the Ripper article.

Nothing happened for another five years, except that in March 1983 HM Inspector of Taxes noticed the payment of £750 that had been made two years earlier and queried whether income tax should have been paid on it. This led to a protracted correspondence between JDS and his accountant, which continued until February 1984.

Finally, in September 1987, Martin Fido's "The Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper" was published, including the newly discovered records of Aaron Kozminski and his admission to Colney Hatch Asylum. On 27 September the Sunday Telegraph published an article by Daniel Farson reviewing the suspects, entitled "The last laugh's still with Jack the Ripper." Farson recounted the story of his discovery of the Aberconway version of the Macnaghten Memorandum nearly 30 years earlier, and listed the three suspects mentioned in it, including "Kosmanski [sic], a Polish Jew." Evidently, JDS saw this article and on the same day wrote to the News of the World, asking for permission to send his information about the Ripper case to another newspaper. (The 1981 contract had given the News of the World exclusive rights, so he needed their permission to communicate the material to anyone else.) On 1 October Robert Warren replied, releasing JDS from the contract.

A further Ripper article , "Jack: the Gripping Tale," by Charles Nevin, appeared in the Daily Telegraph on Saturday 3 October, and again listed the suspects mentioned in the Macnaghten Memorandum, including Kosminski. On the same day JDS wrote to the editor, saying he had been prompted to do so by articles in the last two weekend Telegraphs. Again he recounted his grandfather's role in the Ripper investigation, and again he described the information he had naming a suspect. He explained that he was offering the material so that the truth about Jack the Ripper could be published, and so that his grandfather could have "a favourable mention or two."

This time the offer was accepted, and an article about the 'marginalia' was written for the Telegraph by Charles Nevin. On 3 October JDS wrote to Nevin to say that he had discovered some more of his grandfather's papers, including the instruction putting the Ripper investigation into DSS's hands and the list of victims (both reproduced in Evans and Rumbelow, "Jack the Ripper: Scotland Yard Investigates," pp. 85, 224). The article was published on 19 October 1987, and included reactions from Martin Fido and Donald Rumbelow, both of whom were said to be "intrigued ... but still unconvinced." A letter from Martin Fido, clarifying his view of the marginalia, was published on 22 October, and another from Jonathan Goodman, criticising Nevin's article and suggesting that it should be agreed that "Jack the Ripper was Peter J. Harpick" (Goodman's anagrammatic spoof suspect), appeared on 27 October. In response, JDS wrote a letter to the editor, which apparently was not published, bemoaning the fact that speculation about the case seemed likely to "Rumblelow on ad infidotum," and reiterating his belief that his grandfather's notes had identified the real murderer.

[Letter from JDS to The Editor of the News of the World, 26 March 1981]

Dear Sir

Jack the Ripper

The impending trial of the so-called "Yorkshire Ripper" is bound to stimulate interest in the original Jack the Ripper case, namely the Whitechapel Murders of the late 1880's.

My Grandfather was Superintendent of the C.I.D. Scotland Yard at that time and had intimate knowledge of the case.

I have in my possession authentic printed & written information that names the "suspect," states why he was not brought to justice, and what eventually happened to him. From the information I have there is no doubt that the C.I.D. at Scotland Yard were certain they had the right man.

This information - with or without further research of contemporary happenings allied to the Ripper murders, and I refer particularly to the so called Jack the Ripper letter and its impact would make some very interesting reading.

I am offering this information for sale. If you are interested I shall be pleased to discuss the matter with you.

Yours faithfully

J. D. Swanson

Comment

[Extract from a letter from JDS to his accountant, Mr Archer, 27 January 1984]

When my Aunt, the last surviving child of my grand parents died, I came into possession of my grand father's books & note books etc. He had been chief superintendent at the C.I.D. Scotland Yard at the time of the Whitechapel Murders, popularly known as the Jack the Ripper murders. He was of that breed of officer who did not seek publicity nor financial gain from his public office, he kept his knowledge to himself. I thought he deserved a mention - even if long after his death. Charles Sandell thought so too - see his letter to me dated 29th April '82 enclosed. Some time after my grand father retired he was sent an autographed copy of a book entitled "The Lighter Side of my Official Life" by Sir Robert Anderson KCB. LL.D (I think he was Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police) my grand father had worked under him. This book contains a chapter on the Whitechapel Murders. My grand father has written comments in the margins. These notes give the name of the "Suspect," who & what he was, why he was not brought to justice and what happened to him finally. It was the sight of this information that I sold to the News of the World.

Comment

[Extract from a letter from JDS to the Editor of the Daily Telegraph, 3 October 1987]

I am prompted to write to you as a result of reading the articles on Jack the Ripper which have appeared in the last two week-end Telegraphs.

My grand father Superintendent Donald Sutherland Swanson of the C.I.D. at Scotland Yard was directly concerned with the investigations into the Whitechapel murders of 1888 and so had intimate knowledge of the case.

My grand father and other Senior Officers at Scotland [Yard] knew the identity of the murderer.

In 1981, my Aunt, the last of my grand fathers surviving children died. As her executor I came into possession of my grand fathers notes on the Whitechapel murders.

I have in my possession authentic printed & written information on Jack the Ripper.

The statements are categoric and positive concerning the identity of Jack the Ripper. Not only is he named but the so called Jack the Ripper letter is put in perspective.

My Grand father's notes also explain why the Ripper was not brought to justice & what eventually happened to him & where he died.

From the material I have there can be no doubt that the C.I.D. at Scotland Yard and their senior officers were certain they had the right man.

My Grand father, unlike some latter day Secret Service person, was that breed of officer who would never violate the code of honour of his department for personal publicity or financial gain by making a disclosure, and certainly not in response to the provocations of the media of the day that the C.I.D. had failed the public.

My grand father is long dead, the Whitechapel murders will be 100 years ago within a few months.

I think it is high time that the truth about Jack the Ripper was published and that my Grand father, who was obviously a most competent officer had a favourable mention or two.

Although his name crops up in connection with other important cases of the era, on both sides of the Atlantic, these are mostly in publications that would have had a small circulation probably limited to those interested in Police Forces and their work. So what could be better in this respect than the publication of the truth during the centenary year of the murders by a widely read & respected Daily newspaper.

Comment

Letter from JDS to the Editor of the Daily Telegraph [October 1987]

[The following is a suggested transcription from an incomplete carbon copy, which is very difficult to make out in places, so some readings are doubtful.]

Sir

JACK THE RIPPER.

When I made my Grandfather's notes on the Whitechapel murders of 1888 available to the Daily Telegraph it was with the objective of putting an end to all the speculation concerning the identity of Jack the Ripper (Peter Harpic see Goodman letter D.T. 27.10.87). However it seems that the Ripperologists don't want to know and that speculation may "Rumblelow on ad infidotum."

My Grandfather Chief Inspector D.S. Swanson C.I.D. was appointed to be the Eyes and Ears of the Commissioner in this case and everything concerning these murders was to pass through his hands. Surely in these circumstances the one person that would know the identity of the murderer would be my Grandfather.

My Grandfather was a highly intelligent man. He was in complete command of all his faculties at the time of his death in 1924 at the age of 76. My Grandfather's notes were made in 1910 when he was 62. We are hardly dealing with an OLD MAN'S MEMORY as Sergeant Donald Rumbelow suggests. My Grandfather would have been 40 when appointed to this case. Jack the Ripper would have been his main concern for several years. The identity of the murderer would have been indelibly imprinted on his mind.

Jack the Ripper was my Grandfather's main concern until, he the Ripper was put safely away and the file closed, presumably about 1890. My Grandfather would then have been occupied with other cases. Kosminski would no longer have been his concern so my Grandfather would no longer have kept a tally on him and his demise.

The fact that some one's idea of how a [murderer?] should behave during his stay in Colney Hatch does not coincide with the reported behaviour of the man in question cannot possibly challenge the unequivocal signed statement of the man who knew that Kosminski was the suspect. Surely it is time that poor demented Kosminski and the victims he disembowelled should be allowed to Rest in Peace.

J. D. SWANSON

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Letter from JDS to the Editor of the Daily Telegraph [October 1987]

[The following is a suggested transcription from an incomplete carbon copy, which is very difficult to make out in places, so some readings are doubtful.]

Sir

JACK THE RIPPER.

When I made my Grandfather's notes on the Whitechapel murders of 1888 available to the Daily Telegraph it was with the objective of putting an end to all the speculation concerning the identity of Jack the Ripper (Peter Harpic see Goodman letter D.T. 27.10.87). However it seems that the Ripperologists don't want to know and that speculation may "Rumblelow on ad infidotum."

My Grandfather Chief Inspector D.S. Swanson C.I.D. was appointed to be the Eyes and Ears of the Commissioner in this case and everything concerning these murders was to pass through his hands. Surely in these circumstances the one person that would know the identity of the murderer would be my Grandfather.

My Grandfather was a highly intelligent man. He was in complete command of all his faculties at the time of his death in 1924 at the age of 76. My Grandfather's notes were made in 1910 when he was 62. We are hardly dealing with an OLD MAN'S MEMORY as Sergeant Donald Rumbelow suggests. My Grandfather would have been 40 when appointed to this case. Jack the Ripper would have been his main concern for several years. The identity of the murderer would have been indelibly imprinted on his mind.

Jack the Ripper was my Grandfather's main concern until, he the Ripper was put safely away and the file closed, presumably about 1890. My Grandfather would then have been occupied with other cases. Kosminski would no longer have been his concern so my Grandfather would no longer have kept a tally on him and his demise.

The fact that some one's idea of how a [murderer?] should behave during his stay in Colney Hatch does not coincide with the reported behaviour of the man in question cannot possibly challenge the unequivocal signed statement of the man who knew that Kosminski was the suspect. Surely it is time that poor demented Kosminski and the victims he disembowelled should be allowed to Rest in Peace.

J. D. SWANSON
            Well life is full of surprises just goes to show that if you shake the tree hard enough somethings bound to fall out.

I for one are not convinced about the marginalia or the viablity of Kosminski to be considered as a suspect. Especially in the light of new information I have obtained which I will disclose in the future.

I had a telephone conversation with Nevill Swanson several months ago and he will still not consent to new forensic tests being carried out on the marginalia.

Furthermore he has a copy of the last forensic handwriitng experts statement and wont allow that to be published in full either.

Alan McCormick from The Met Crime museum stated his copy of the report has gone missing and has no plans to get a copy from anyone of many people who seem to have a copy but dont want to publish it in full.

The ForensicScience laboratory have a copy but wont release it under the Freedom of Information Act.

Taxi for Kosminski !
            Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 07-23-2011, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Can we see the letter to JDS from the NOW dated April 16th 1981 from Robert Warren the news editor?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                The Swanson family recently came across Jim Swanson's correspondence from the 1980s concerning the 'marginalia', and kindly made it available to Keith Skinner. Keith suggested it might be useful if I posted a summary of the salient information here.
                If you have a spare moment could I trouble you to ask Keith if we can also put this info next door on the Wiki ? Thanks as always.
                Managing Editor
                Casebook Wiki

Comment

This is fascinating stuff but I fail to see how Trevor Marriott can feel confident hailing his taxi for Kosminski. What is suspect here? The thought that JDS tried to make a few bob out of his discovery? Well why wouldn't he? I'm sure most of us would have tried to parlay a discovery of this import into some sort of pecuniary advantage.

Stewart Evans is someone who has seen and studied the marginalia and endpaper notes. Stewart noted that two different pencils may have been used but is inclined to the opinion that the notes are, most likely, absolutely genuine. (SPE- please correct me if I'm wrong).

Trevor: you have my profound respect for your recent efforts re. Special Branch files and as an author (21st Century Investigation) but, as a former police detective, can you really look at yourself in the mirror and tell us that Carl Fiegenbaum is a better suspect than Kosminski?

Best wishes,
                  Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
                    This is fascinating stuff but I fail to see how Trevor Marriott can feel confident hailing his taxi for Kosminski. What is suspect here? The thought that JDS tried to make a few bob out of his discovery? Well why wouldn't he? I'm sure most of us would have tried to parlay a discovery of this import into some sort of pecuniary advantage.

Stewart Evans is someone who has seen and studied the marginalia and endpaper notes. Stewart noted that two different pencils may have been used but is inclined to the opinion that the notes are, most likely, absolutely genuine. (SPE- please correct me if I'm wrong).

Trevor: you have my profound respect for your recent efforts re. Special Branch files and as an author (21st Century Investigation) but, as a former police detective, can you really look at yourself in the mirror and tell us that Carl Fiegenbaum is a better suspect than Kosminski?

Best wishes,
                    Steve.
                    I refer to my second post above where I asked for us to see the letter from the NOW, to JDS that might throw some more light on all of the issue surrounding the marginalia.

If there is such a letter in existence then we will see just excatly what the NOW were buying did it contain the name oof Kosminski or not.

My conversation with Nevill Swanson and a subsequent e mail from him conflict somewhat to what Chris has posted above.

As far as comparing Feigenbaum to Kosminski there is no comparion Feigenbaum stands out head and shoulders above Kosminski.

As I said before have new evidence which in my opinion is now going to rule out Kosminski and other suspects which I will disclose in the future.

Dont cancel the taxi

Comment

As far as comparing Feigenbaum to Kosminski there is no comparion Feigenbaum stands out head and shoulders above Kosminski.
                      One is mentioned fairly consistently by contemporary Police Officials of the time, the other by his own Lawyer (whose word is the only one concerned with this alledged confession) in a sensationlistic Newpaper.

No, no head an shoulders at all. Just bearly hitting boot straps.

Monty
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

It seems that a couple of things need to be set straight.

As I said above, a member of the family recently came across the correspondence, and was kind enough to pass it on to Keith Skinner, and to agree to the summary and extracts being posted here. I am not sure what Trevor Marriott's comment about "tree-shaking" was meant to imply, but the credit for making this information available should go to the Swanson family and Keith Skinner.

The difficulty with regard to the publication of the Davies report in the past has been explained to Trevor Marriott several times. It arose from the fact that the permission of the person who commissioned the report could not be obtained. To suggest that Nevill Swanson is preventing the report from being published, or that he is opposed in any way to its publication, is quite wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                          I refer to my second post above where I asked for us to see the letter from the NOW, to JDS that might throw some more light on all of the issue surrounding the marginalia.

If there is such a letter in existence then we will see just excatly what the NOW were buying did it contain the name oof Kosminski or not.
                          The transcripts I posted above are the only parts of the correspondence that describe the annotations in any detail. The letter from Robert Warren of the News of the World dated 16 April 1981 - of which I have seen a photocopy - does not.

But as you can see for yourself, Jim Swanson's initial letter to the News of the World, dated 26 March 1981, says that the information names the suspect (his emphasis).

Comment

Starter Kit for Feigenbaum!

Hello?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Roberts View Post
                              Starter Kit for Feigenbaum!

Hello?
                              I will treat that with the contempt that it deserves.

And as you are all talking about the evidence from police officers which you seem to rely on so strongly to champion Kosminski please read this

The Police Review magazine in 1913. The article was centred around an interview with another retired senior police officer Chief Inspector Henry Moore who was also directly involved in investigating the murders the relevant quote is "Well so far as I could make out he was a mad foreign sailor, who paid periodical visits to London on board ship. He committed the crimes and then went back to his ship, and remembered nothing about them"

I think that more than evens up the playing field.

Oh and I dont seem to recall Kosminski ever killing anyone with a knife to the point of almost decapitating them or have i missed something.

You can mock all you like because I am sitting here holding all the aces

Comment

Working...
                              X