X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC William Arthur WHIFFIN H Division

William Arthur WHIFFIN

Born 23rd February 1872 Croydon Surrey

Joined 3rd September 1894 Warrant Number 79939.
    Height given as 5 foot 9 and a half inches.Chest 35 inches.
    With fair complexion dark brown eyes & brown hair. With a scar on his right cheek.

He was single and a labourer by trade (employed by JJ Ward Builders, Upper Warlingham. Home address The Cottage Warlingham.

Postings......
    K Division 3rd September 1894 Collar number 225K
    A Division 2nd February 1895 Collar number 343A
    K Division 6th July 1895 Collar Number unknown?
    H Division 11th April 1896 Collar Number 250H
    R Division 9th October 1903 Collar Number 676R
    Resigned 13th October 1919

Disciplinary Offence as 250H in Jan 1900 while he was serving in H Div.
    1901 census lists him as living in Stepney.

Curious how he served in K Division twice, with a brief spell in A in the middle, I wonder was he on secondment as apposed to a full transfer? Was something happening in A Division in 1895? I believe that only the most discreet officers were posted to A, I wonder was he posted and then didn't cut the mustard perhaps and was posted back?

In the 1901 census he is listed as living somewhere in Stepney, I had assumed that he was either in Arbour Square or Shadwell stations, but I am now wondering whether he was in fact still living at the same address he did whilst he was in K perhaps? Can anyone confirm his address for me in 1901?

A Disciplinary Offence as 250H occurred in Jan 1900 while he was serving in H Div. Has anyone got access to the Police Orders around 22/01/1900 to find exactly what he did wrong? I assume it can’t have been major otherwise he would have been moved to another division or even sacked.

Comment

He was at #4 Bewley St Model (presumably Dwellings), Shadwell. He's with his wife Emily and a niece.

In 1911 he is still a policeman but now living with wife and two children in Chislehurst.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        He was at #4 Bewley St Model (presumably Dwellings), Shadwell. He's with his wife Emily and a niece.

In 1911 he is still a policeman but now living with wife and two children in Chislehurst.
        Many thanks Robert!!!!

This is just round the corner from Shadwell Police Station, so I think it's a fair bet to say he was posted there.

Comment

In Neil Bell's excellent book Capturing Jack the Ripper (if you haven't read it I highly recommend it). He states that the Met owned houses within each division where the married men were quatered.This being so that the constables lived close together and increased camaraderie. To that end I wonder whether Bewley St Model Dwellings was one such location? It would be interesting to see if any other bobbies lived there and whether their names can be connected to any particular station?

Comment

Working...
          X