No announcement yet.

Rippercast with Neil Bell -Capturing Jack the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there Dane, in the interests of full disclosure, I was only a full time sign language interpreter for two years, then I did it as a side line after I became a teacher for the Deaf then gradually phased out when my teaching duties became too much. I was actually looking to take the the NIC next year and get back into it, since I let my license lapse when I was teaching, but just found out RID just suspended all performance tests due to all the problems it's been having. (sorry to bore others with the non-police ramble). Anyway very cool to have another terp in the crowd. We'll have to get together at an event and talk about everyone and drive them crazy wondering what we're saying.

Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
      Hey there Dane, in the interests of full disclosure, I was only a full time sign language interpreter for two years, then I did it as a side line after I became a teacher for the Deaf then gradually phased out when my teaching duties became too much. I was actually looking to take the the NIC next year and get back into it, since I let my license lapse when I was teaching, but just found out RID just suspended all performance tests due to all the problems it's been having. (sorry to bore others with the non-police ramble). Anyway very cool to have another terp in the crowd. We'll have to get together at an event and talk about everyone and drive them crazy wondering what we're saying.
      Haha. Yes any time I can use ASL to confuse, freak out, and mock others is a fun time. Last year while visiting London I ran across people who used British Sign Language. Wanna talk about a mind warp. . . Give me ASL any day.

It's always fun to "talk" with other people from different areas and see how they sign. Even in ASL people have accent which are cool to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Dane_F View Post
        Haha. Yes any time I can use ASL to confuse, freak out, and mock others is a fun time. Last year while visiting London I ran across people who used British Sign Language. Wanna talk about a mind warp. . . Give me ASL any day.

It's always fun to "talk" with other people from different areas and see how they sign. Even in ASL people have accent which are cool to see.
        I can't say I am interpreter standard, but I have had a lot of experience with Auslan, Australian sign language.

Ran a hearing once that took 10 days with Auslan interpreters, interesting they were only allowed work 30 minutes at a time, then have a break. It was a little disruptive, but interesting.

Mum and dad had friends who were deaf, so we leant a lit as kids talking with them.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          I can't say I am interpreter standard, but I have had a lot of experience with Auslan, Australian sign language.

Ran a hearing once that took 10 days with Auslan interpreters, interesting they were only allowed work 30 minutes at a time, then have a break. It was a little disruptive, but interesting.

Mum and dad had friends who were deaf, so we leant a lit as kids talking with them.
          I still for the life of me can't understand why the world does not have a standardized Sign Language. Here's a chance to create a literal WORLD language and instead we have dozens if not a hundred different languages involving hand movements.

Just a quick example. While in London we discovered the signs for What and where in American Sign Language were reversed for British Sign Langauge. So if you asked, "What is that?" they'd take it as "Where is that?" And vice versa. Both English languages, but separate sign languages.

Sorry for the off topicness. I blame Ally and the Rippercast!

Comment

Originally posted by Dane_F View Post
            I still for the life of me can't understand why the world does not have a standardized Sign Language. Here's a chance to create a literal WORLD language and instead we have dozens if not a hundred different languages involving hand movements.

Just a quick example. While in London we discovered the signs for What and where in American Sign Language were reversed for British Sign Langauge. So if you asked, "What is that?" they'd take it as "Where is that?" And vice versa. Both English languages, but separate sign languages.

Sorry for the off topicness. I blame Ally and the Rippercast!
            Beats me, maybe that'd just be too sensible.

I want a Rippercast in sign.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Lol. Yeah I remember way back in the day when I was a baby signer I was watching four weddings and a funeral and there was a Deaf character on it .. I thought I was having a stroke because I didn't understand jack and he kept signing where for what. Took me forever to realize it was Brit sign. Meanwhile I can communicate with French signers pretty well since our ASL is derived from French sign... It's a mad house.

Let all Oz be agreed;
              I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

I'm not sure if he sign for giving birth is the same in US and UK as it is here, but it would bring the Court (including the Judge) to the point of laughter every time.
                G U T

Comment

Working...
                X